Parents First meet report for my girls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
My girls competed in their 1st meet of the season yesterday. It was a Ready Set Go meet where the judges critique the gymnasts after each rotation. They receive only AA awards, the individual scores were given, and just posted this morning.

Big DD- level 8 - their rotation was her favorite order, vault first.
She did her tsuk on the 1st vault and landed on her knees. 2nd vault she did a half off. 8.4 - second place behind her teammate who did 2 tsuks and got 8.6
Bars - coach took out her pirouette so she was already missing a B skill going in. She did do her giants even though they are still not pretty 6.6
Beam - first time new routine, BHS BHS connection series, she got deducted for rhythm and had a fall after 2nd bhs. Her SV 9.7 b/c of her split leap, scored 8.0
Fx - first time I got to see her new routine! Her new music is Phantom, very dramatic. 8.55 - 2nd place. The judges said that our team's routines have most difficulty and more tumbling than any other teams.
AA 31.55 - good enough to qualify for Sectionals.

Little Monkey - Level 5 - first they had her in the wrong age group (10) but we made sure they corrected it (7-8)
FX first, they showed 9.05 but later corrected to 9.0 - 2nd place, her first 9!!!
V - 8.0 not sure what the problem was, gotta ask coach later.
Bars - fell off her first squat on, got back up, made her jump. Judge said her casts were great! 7.8 2nd place
Beam - a couple of wobbles 8.9 3rd place
AA 33.75 - 3rd place

Overall a good day. Big DD's teammates were all in the same ballpark so it wasn't like anyone did so much better that she was upset by it. I'm proud that she tried most of her new skills. We had a nice lunch w/a couple of the moms and girls, before little DD's session so she had a fun day.

Next meets:
Big DD Jan 24
Little monkey Feb 1st

Big DD would not allow me to videotape anything but FX. I taped Little DD on all events but you can hear me say "Sh*t" when she fell off the bars, so I have to edit that out first LOL

Last edited:
Ok, it sounds like a good start for both dds. Big dd, once she gets her pirouette added back into the routine her score will go up. BHS-BHS on beam, well I surely know that it is hit or miss a lot of the times. She will hit in some meets and fall at others, that's the way it goes. It seems she still got credit for the series based on her start value, which is good. Vault, give it time - to me 8.4 is a really good vault score for L8 ;). Her floor sounds really good. Phantom is so dramatic, I hope she really plays it up!

Our coach says that she is always preparing our girls for the next level, so the difficulty is always there. There will be days where a girl who does the minimum L8 skills will do better than our girls, but do those girls always move on? Which is what most of parents want for our girls in the long run, so good for you to have the Judges say that your girls have difficult routines! 31 would definitely take her to Sectionals, so that is encouraging and she has to be proud of that. Also remember that she is still just hitting gymnastics full steam after her cheer season, so again good for her!

As for little dd, yeah for 3rd place AA. She too has plenty of time to improve on the little things!

Good luck at their mext meets!!!!

Our coach says that she is always preparing our girls for the next level, so the difficulty is always there. There will be days where a girl who does the minimum L8 skills will do better than our girls, but do those girls always move on? Which is what most of parents want for our girls in the long run, so good for you to have the Judges say that your girls have difficult routines! 31 would definitely take her to Sectionals, so that is encouraging and she has to be proud of that. Also remember that she is still just hitting gymnastics full steam after her cheer season, so again good for her!

I just found my scrap of paper that says her SV for bars was 9.2. I agree with pushing the more difficult skills. We have seen this played out both ways at our gym, my dd is more middle-of-the-road. I would not want to see her take things out of her FX just because it has harder skills.

It sounds as though both girls had a great meet, some things to work on but overall some great results. They both had great AA scores and as we all know L8 is a tough scoring level.

Great that big DD made it to sectionals. I love the idea of a critique meet, it certainly takes the mystery out for the gymmies and must make the coaching job a bit easier.

I think you should leave the expletive in the video, I could use a laugh!!

I agree with Bog - Leave the Blurt in the video! then lets all get our video's together where we say things we didn't mean to.. my husband is famous for it!

Congrats to big DD for making sectionals! And Little DD for her 3rd place in the AA!

and also thanks for the kind words about Beetle!

Sounds like your two are off to a good start! Inside scoop, I heard tonight the judging was tough from one of the judges that was there. Sounds like L8 is tough, but it is still early and time to work on those things that went wrong. And little monkey did great too, sounds like her bars are really coming around. That would be me saying Oh s*&^ into the video camera too. I hate hearing myself talk on video so I've learned to shush and just focus on keeping camera straight or give it to DH to do. Good thing you didn't have cowbell like at Granny's DD's meet. Lunch sounded like fun too. For some reason our after meet routine is McD's and I just can't eat that stuff anymore. Gosh I never thought I would say THAT, but that's what DD wants and she deserves it. Wow, are you going to be jumping around the next couple month w/2 girls in gymnastics. Good luck!

Sounds like the did very well! My daughter is a L5, so I don't know a whole lot about the points system for the optionals, but it sounds like you have a handle on that. I think you should leave the Sh*t in the video. That's a classic! I have to stay away from where our video camera is so that Kelsey can't hear my commentary. Tell the girls "Great job and keep up the good work and improvement"

Good Job to both your dd's.Big already getting her qual. score for sectionals is awesome. Trying to tape and watch his rough I no and words can be said ,but your not the only one trust me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back