MAG Mushroom Moves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

acam1103

Proud Parent
Since everyone was so helpful on the giants thread, can someone help me with mushroom moves? I have watched slow-mo videos of spindles, Moore’s and stocklis and I just don’t understand how they differ. Can someone explain it in words? Thank goodness flairs and Russians are so obviously different!

For this, I think videos are needed in addition to words.

Did you find these videos? I think especially if you slow the last one down, it's easier to see the differences in the hand placements and body positions. But I'll confess that I find distinguishing among these things to be difficult! I pretty much know what my kid is doing on most events, but beyond the obvious, I still don't get his pommel routine.

loopy, circle things. Flares/non-flares. more loopy circle things. lol

I can almost always now recognize a flop. I am getting better at whether it is a D, E, etc. but not great. Most of the time, I am just happy when he stays on....

Glad to know there are other equally inept mushroom parents out there. (That didn't come out right, did it? LOL)

Yep, circles and flares. That's all there are. And on the horse, it's loops and flares and Magyars and handstands. That's it. I have decreed it.

For this, I think videos are needed in addition to words.

Did you find these videos? I think especially if you slow the last one down, it's easier to see the differences in the hand placements and body positions. But I'll confess that I find distinguishing among these things to be difficult! I pretty much know what my kid is doing on most events, but beyond the obvious, I still don't get his pommel routine.

Those are new to me but I’m still hopeless. This is not helped by the fact that I have zero visual memory (I literally don’t have any “pictures in my head” of anything). So as soon as one move is over I don’t have something in my head to compare to the next. That’s why I was hoping words would help. But it’s almost as good to know I’m not the only clueless one :). Now if I could just get my 8 year old to stop quizzing me!

Those are new to me but I’m still hopeless. This is not helped by the fact that I have zero visual memory (I literally don’t have any “pictures in my head” of anything). So as soon as one move is over I don’t have something in my head to compare to the next. That’s why I was hoping words would help. But it’s almost as good to know I’m not the only clueless one :). Now if I could just get my 8 year old to stop quizzing me!
As far as Stockli etc. I know the difference has something to do with one facing the mushroom and one not, but I always mixed them up. Maybe someone who knows can give you the words to differentiate the moves.

My son is level 10 and I gave up a long time ago on understanding pommel moves. I can tell when eh is doing well on pommel and seems like he will stay on and I can tell when he seems off and might fall, other than that, I have very little idea what is what.

When circling clockwise:
A spindle will have hips turn counter clockwise. A moor turns the same direction as the circle.
When counting flips, count the number of times you see their chest. That’ll tell you how many turns they do.

When circling clockwise:
A spindle will have hips turn counter clockwise. A moor turns the same direction as the circle.
When counting flips, count the number of times you see their chest. That’ll tell you how many turns they do.

A little more detail: Kehres and Stocklis (in the US, Moores and back Moores) all turn with the circle. A Moore (czechkehre) is in the kehre family of skills. All kehres lead with the heels. They will appear to be turning backward. Stocklis are the reverse; they initiate with a forward turn. For a counter-clockwise circle, kehres will always start on the right hand, and Stockli's on the left hand. To make things even more complicated, kehre swings are often referred to as 'reverse' stocklis. A wendeswing is the start of a 'russian' which is basically a 1 to 1 rotation of the body with the circle (looks like a dog chasing its tail). A spindle is the reverse hoppy thing. As Hollowarchkick notes above, it is a rotation of the body opposite the circle. A flop is a combination of single pommel loops and stocklis with or without russians. I find it easiest to count hand placements (from ft support) and divide by 2. For instance Loop, Loop, Stockli = 6 hand placements = D value flop.

See, isn't that simple :) FWIW, I still have to look at most routines in slo-mo to actually figure out the skills. I much prefer to just watch and enjoy the fluidity of motion. Watch the master Valentin Mogilny and enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vEZEoYZVSY

KRC

A little more detail: Kehres and Stocklis (in the US, Moores and back Moores) all turn with the circle. A Moore (czechkehre) is in the kehre family of skills. All kehres lead with the heels. They will appear to be turning backward. Stocklis are the reverse; they initiate with a forward turn. For a counter-clockwise circle, kehres will always start on the right hand, and Stockli's on the left hand. To make things even more complicated, kehre swings are often referred to as 'reverse' stocklis. A wendeswing is the start of a 'russian' which is basically a 1 to 1 rotation of the body with the circle (looks like a dog chasing its tail). A spindle is the reverse hoppy thing. As Hollowarchkick notes above, it is a rotation of the body opposite the circle. A flop is a combination of single pommel loops and stocklis with or without russians. I find it easiest to count hand placements (from ft support) and divide by 2. For instance Loop, Loop, Stockli = 6 hand placements = D value flop.

See, isn't that simple :) FWIW, I still have to look at most routines in slo-mo to actually figure out the skills. I much prefer to just watch and enjoy the fluidity of motion. Watch the master Valentin Mogilny and enjoy.

KRC

Mogilney was an artist. Purest swing I’ve ever seen. Loved his work.

See, isn't that simple :) FWIW, I still have to look at most routines in slo-mo to actually figure out the skills. I much prefer to just watch and enjoy the fluidity of motion. Watch the master Valentin Mogilny and enjoy.

KRC

Thanks KRC! That does make more sense lol. I too prefer to just watch it. It is fascinating and fun :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back