Parents Xcel to ncaa

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do not know of any club in Minnesota that would allow their JO team gymnast to also compete high school, I have not idea if it is actually a statewide rule or a gym by gym rule but I have NEVER heard of a JO team level gymnast who also does high school gymnastics, at least not in Minnesota.
Sorry @NutterButter did not mean to quote your post in the above response...my mistake! I was agreeing with you, that JO gymnasts in Minnesota cannot also do high school, it's one or the other.

The college/university can be Div1 in one sport but not in others. It’s not all or nothing.

My husbands alma mater was Div 1 in hockey. No other sport though.

Yes I’m sure they can dig into those endowment pockets a little deeper when they care too.....and do

Harvard is Division 1 in 42 intercollegiate sports. If you are competing at Harvard at a non-club level/intramural sport...you are doing Division 1.

And I don't know why so many people want to believe that Harvard (or any other Ivy League) is giving away money to people who don't qualify for it under their regular financial aid rules. Harvard doesn't need to 'pay' students to come to the school. Over 50% of the Harvard student body is full pay, and they could easily fill their entire class with qualified full-pay students if they so chose.

Harvard, and every other Ivy League school have voluntary chosen not to give merit or athletic scholarships. Full stop. If your parents make more than 250k per year, you are going to be paying full price at Harvard. If you make 250k (or less) you will be paying on a sliding scale. If you make less than 65k a year, you will get a full ride to Harvard. It is completely up to their financial aid formula, and they aren't 'finding' extra for a good hockey player (or any other athlete).

I'm sorry to harp on this subject, but there is so much disinformation out there in terms of how financial aid is given in the Ivy League and it does a disservice to allow that kind of disinformation to continually be repeated.

I do not know of any club in Minnesota that would allow their JO team gymnast to also compete high school, I have not idea if it is actually a statewide rule or a gym by gym rule but I have NEVER heard of a JO team level gymnast who also does high school gymnastics, at least not in Minnesota.

Same here... the only club gymnasts that do high school are generally Xcel gymnasts, no level 8, 9 or 10s as a rule. There was one level 10 who had left the sport for a few years and came back to do high school , did well and eventually rejoined a club team and competed JO again... she did go on to compete D2 as a walk on for a season (competed sporadically floor and beam) and then retired from the sport.

Leaving scholarships aside for now, how realistic is it for a girl who doesn't hit level 10 until late high school to compete in college in any capacity? Is club gymnastics likely her only option? I've read a lot here about the difficulty of getting a scholarship, but don't have a clear idea of just how hard it is to even compete in any way at the college level.

Leaving scholarships aside for now, how realistic is it for a girl who doesn't hit level 10 until late high school to compete in college in any capacity? Is club gymnastics likely her only option? I've read a lot here about the difficulty of getting a scholarship, but don't have a clear idea of just how hard it is to even compete in any way at the college level.

I would say club gymnastics is the most realistic option as they generally let all who join compete....and by saying "doesn't hit level 10 until late high school" have been gymnasts bumped up to level 10 as Seniors , who really should've stayed 9 , and their "level 10 experience" (which was the rationale given by the coaching staff for moving these multi yr 9s to 10 as Srs) was dreadful...they got horrible scores as they didn't have the skills to be there and made for an awkward team dynamic.

Level 9s can and do compete D2 and 3 and club so if that's the level your daughter can realistically successfully compete at , even as a Sr, don't push to "go level 10 for the experience" because a lousy experience is just that, lousy. She can compete in college , albeit not at a D1 program, as an upper level optional (8,9)....heck I've even seen girls I know were level 7 (max) compete for Rhode Island College and they looked like they were having a lot of fun doing their sport.

Back to HS gymnastics. Here on Long Island, NY many top gyms do not let their JO athletes compete HS. Our gym does (but I think some of the girls get grumbled at if they miss club practice). You can make varsity in 7th grade here if you are able. Our HS athletes compete with lv 9 scoring. The scores at meets range from fours to high nines. My dd is in 6th gr and cannot wait to do varsity next year. She will most likely be competing lv 8 with some upgrades by then so all good. There are definitely level 9/10 girls competing at the HS meets around here. Top lv 10s from our gym have competed and been very successful. It is a short HS season for our county, ends in Nov.

In general it is not likely to get on a D1 team (walk on) if you haven't made it to L10 by 10th. That doesn't mean it's impossible. There are parents here on CB whose gymnasts were first time L10s in 11th grade and went on to get a D1 scholarship. It happens, it's just not the norm. Most often, these girls are really strong competitors but have been held back by either injury or a late start. They usually have been competing skills higher than their level (competing low/mid L10 routines in L9). But in general, the D1 coaches start scouting their potentials early on at L9/10 nationals. They want to see multiple years of success and minimal injury. It's not impossible to catch the coaches' eye later on but it requires a lot more work on your part and often times you need to to "have" something they are in need of, like a strong bar worker because they just graduated their 3 best bars gymnasts. Later rising L10s usually will have a better chance of getting on a lower ranked D1 team but they still will need to be competitive with 10.0 SV in all four events for the coach to event look at you.

For D2 and 3, it is more common to see gymnasts reach L10 in 11th and even 12th grade. They are also more likely to have uneven skills - to be competitive in 2 events rather than all 4.

It's actually a rule of the MN governing body of high school sports that you can't do club and high school at the same time. Kids who do other year round sports like soccer and swimming just stop club participation during the HS season of the sport. JO/Xcel is the same season as high school gymnastics so this would never work anyways but to your point...even if it were possible to do both club and high school gymnastics, there's no way a club would let their athletes take a 3 month break to train with a HS team!

It's actually a rule of the MN governing body of high school sports that you can't do club and high school at the same time. Kids who do other year round sports like soccer and swimming just stop club participation during the HS season of the sport. JO/Xcel is the same season as high school gymnastics so this would never work anyways but to your point...even if it were possible to do both club and high school gymnastics, there's no way a club would let their athletes take a 3 month break to train with a HS team!

Our girls don't stop training with their club, they do both.

Our girls don't stop training with their club, they do both.

Oh, wow....that's great! What do their training hours look like - how much are they training in their gym vs with the hs team? Are you in Minnesota?

In general it is not likely to get on a D1 team (walk on) if you haven't made it to L10 by 10th. That doesn't mean it's impossible. There are parents here on CB whose gymnasts were first time L10s in 11th grade and went on to get a D1 scholarship. It happens, it's just not the norm. Most often, these girls are really strong competitors but have been held back by either injury or a late start. They usually have been competing skills higher than their level (competing low/mid L10 routines in L9). But in general, the D1 coaches start scouting their potentials early on at L9/10 nationals. They want to see multiple years of success and minimal injury. It's not impossible to catch the coaches' eye later on but it requires a lot more work on your part and often times you need to to "have" something they are in need of, like a strong bar worker because they just graduated their 3 best bars gymnasts. Later rising L10s usually will have a better chance of getting on a lower ranked D1 team but they still will need to be competitive with 10.0 SV in all four events for the coach to event look at you.

For D2 and 3, it is more common to see gymnasts reach L10 in 11th and even 12th grade. They are also more likely to have uneven skills - to be competitive in 2 events rather than all 4.

Great info- thanks!

Oh, wow....that's great! What do their training hours look like - how much are they training in their gym vs with the hs team? Are you in Minnesota?

No, Long Island, NY. The girls have to make at least 3 days of practice with our club during HS season (Sept-Nov). HS practice is typically every day after school. Girls usually go straight from HS practice to club practice and miss one day of club practice. They are allowed to do HS in our gym, but I think the girls still get some flack for being late and/or missing a day for HS meets. Also, here you are not allowed to leave early from school for sports or get a PE exemption.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP!

Same here in IL -- Both JO and Xcel are roughly the same season as high school, and you can't compete on a high school team and also play/practice with a private/club team. That is true for soccer, gymnastics, etc. Also in IL, HS gymnastics can be as low as level 5-6. Girls who are strong level 8s were basically state champions in HS. Several of our local gyms tout Xcel as great prep for HS gymnastics, but once the girls get to high school, they have to drop out of their Xcel teams due to the rule about practicing with a private club.

In Illinois HS gymnastics, teams were inundated with almost all club gymnasts-many, many levels 10’s. They would typically start the season competing a few meets with their club, then switch to High School season where many high schools around here train at clubs near the High School with excellent coaches. State meet was HIGHLY competitive!! Scores were in high 9’s and even a few 10’s. After their HS State meet which was in Feb., they would go back into club season and do A few more club meets and club state, regionals and Nationals if they qualified. It didn’t really seem right to me, and for awhile a lot of clubs made gymnasts choose one or the other, but clubs lost a lot of great gymnasts to HS. A lot of clubs eventually gave in. Many of these gymnasts received D1 scholarships.

In Illinois HS gymnastics, teams were inundated with almost all club gymnasts-many, many levels 10’s. They would typically start the season competing a few meets with their club, then switch to High School season where many high schools around here train at clubs near the High School with excellent coaches. State meet was HIGHLY competitive!! Scores were in high 9’s and even a few 10’s. After their HS State meet which was in Feb., they would go back into club season and do A few more club meets and club state, regionals and Nationals if they qualified. It didn’t really seem right to me, and for awhile a lot of clubs made gymnasts choose one or the other, but clubs lost a lot of great gymnasts to HS. A lot of clubs eventually gave in. Many of these gymnasts received D1 scholarships.

But I thought they changed this rule about 4-5 years ago? I know that 5 years ago, one of our club's gymnasts was a level 10, won state for the high school team and then came back to finish her JO season. But I heard our local gyms no longer allowed this -- basically JO gymnasts have to stay with their club teams the whole season (i.e. not take time off to compete for HS)? Or maybe just my area's gyms changed this rule. Our local HS definitely doesn't have any JO10s on their team!

But I thought they changed this rule about 4-5 years ago? I know that 5 years ago, one of our club's gymnasts was a level 10, won state for the high school team and then came back to finish her JO season. But I heard our local gyms no longer allowed this -- basically JO gymnasts have to stay with their club teams the whole season (i.e. not take time off to compete for HS)? Or maybe just my area's gyms changed this rule. Our local HS definitely doesn't have any JO10s on their team!

I hope the Illinois rules have changed! I never thought it was right that a gymnast could do both seasons-club and HS. It didn’t really seem like a fair playing ground to me!

IHSA rules in Illinois specifically prohibit an athlete from competing for a club team and a high school team in the same year. I actually looked it up. Plus, the seasons are virtually identical so I’m not sure how you could do both at the same time.

IHSA rules in Illinois specifically prohibit an athlete from competing for a club team and a high school team in the same year. I actually looked it up. Plus, the seasons are virtually identical so I’m not sure how you could do both at the same time.

I am SO glad to hear this!!! It wasn’t this way several years back when my girls were in high school. Our high school didn’t have a HS team at the time, but many of their friends from area gyms would swoop in and do both and dominate the competition. Nothing against those girls-they were Great gymnasts, but they were already highly achieving in the club world and overshadowed a bunch of great kids who had left club for various reasons to do HS.

So I am in IL -- but do not have HS gymnastics where I live (so no personal experience). However, a good friend of mine is at a club with several HS gymnasts. Not sure of their levels, but she said they will all compete a meet before winter sports season officially starts, hopefully qualify for state, and then return in time to finish out the season (state, regionals, etc.). Also, my very quick google research found the video below from 2018 (looks like fun, no?) and a quick search on mymeetscores revealed that the girls named at the end of the video definitely competed JO in 2018 (Levels 9 or 10), but very few meets.

I also have experience with respect to another high school sport. You most definitely can NOT compete club and high school at the same time (IHSA has three season - fall, winter, spring), but can compete club outside of your season. My son plays year-round travel baseball, but has no practice/games during the spring HS baseball season. Because IL has meets from October to March, I imagine it is possible to squeeze in a meet before or after the official winter sports season.

I have no idea about fair or not fair. I mean, I actually love the idea of competitive high school gymnastics for girls at Levels 8+ One of my biggest concerns about gymnastics is its negative impact socially given the high hours (and it seems like this might be a reason some girls quit as they near high school age). How awesome for girls to have a few months to connect with school peers on a team.

I guess it is fair to say that HS gymnastics really depends on area (state-by-state, and even within the state itself), and by club.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back