Parents Let's talk (again!) about trampoline parks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
DD was just invited to a birthday party at a trampoline park in mid-November. I hate trampoline parks because I've read about way too many accidents, and this party is right before the start of meet season. I do have a strong overprotective streak that I try to manage, so I'm battling my urge to have her skip the party with letting her just go and have fun. Do you- or your kid's coaches, have any rules about trampoline parks?

I don’t and none of my kids coaches ever have. My kids go probably 3-4 times a year to various tramp parks. They mostly keep to themselves and away from other kids, and they go at the least crowded times possible. I don’t say no to any activities just because of meet season, it’s a personal policy.

There are no rules against them at dd's gym. I also don't restrict her. She goes every once in a while (usually for a party) and loves them. Especially the ones that include ninja courses. I also let her go roller skating and other activities that could be considered risky by some. And she has a trampoline with a net in the back yard. I'm of the mind set that accidents can happen anywhere. I know this is not a very popular opinion on here though. I know all about injuries related to trampolines/trampoline parks and I do understand the concern. She is also very careful and won't do any crazy tricks or even jump around lots of people and she is cautious in general. But, yes I do understand the reasons against them. Fwiw, she does not do any gymnastics at home, at a park, on the beach, etc. She just thinks trampoline parks are fun and I like to see her have fun and play with her friends.

My daughter broke her foot at a trampoline park last year, so I’m definitely in the no way camp.

In general, the injury rate at these parks is much higher than other places. They do not have staff that keep the rules followed, or that make sure people are being safe. Kids are everywhere. I am not a fan. My son went once, and will not go back....his choice...

Our gym doesn't have any rules that I know of. My dd has been to 2 parties for teammates at trampoline parks. I have very mixed feelings about it. I am a big worrier but I try not to let my anxiety prevent her from doing too many things- but I think there are some pretty legitimate concerns re: trampoline parks. Right now my dd is supposed to minimize her time on a trampoline anyway because of the strain it puts on the lower back, so that will probably keep her from going.

It is not the gymnasts or throwing big tricks that is the issue, it’s everyone else. Does not matter how safe your own kid is being when they get landed on, knocked over or double bounced on a tramp by someone much heavier.

This. Kids run all over those things and I have seen several very close calls (and we only went twice!). There is a very extensive article somewhere about the dangers of trampoline parks that talks about their design and that underneath all the tramps, the systems are interconnected. What this means is that a kid jumping 3-4 tramps away can actually impact another kid enough to injure them. I’m not an over protective mom by any means, but I do not think they are safe at all.

This just showed up in my facebook feed today. From a Canadian consumer protection show we have up here.

We don't do trampoline parks either. The other kids are the ones that I worry about more than my kid. Mine knows rules on trampolines but I've seen too many near misses from unsupervised kids running amok in those places. We have a local T&T gym that holds open jump nights and my kids are allowed to go there because they have rules that are enforced, safe equipment and the kids there generally already do gym or T&T.

I also don't stop my gym kid from doing other stuff, like skiing or skating. This is my only non-starter and it applies to all of my kids.

For me it depends on the trampoline park one near me it’s a free for all and kids run wild with no control for me that’s a no go. Another the staff are very strict (some parents complain too strict but I like it) and I will let me dd go there as I know they make sure rules are followed and anyone who doesn’t gets kicked out, my dd knows what her coaches would and wouldn’t allow (which is very basic stuff only).
Yes there is a risk but there’s a risk everywhere one of my dd friends broke their wrist by just tripping over in school and another broke their ankle tripping up a kerb.

The absorption of force by the lower extremities is a real issue at these tramp parks, the dislocation and growth plate fractures happen at a greater rate than even backyard tramps. backyard tramp injury numbers are greater than parks just because of sheer number of tramps but studies have shown tramp Park injuries tend to be more serious and more likely to require hospitalization.

As for the kids will get hurt anywhere argument, I know people that have died while riding their bike with a helmet and died in car accidents while wearing a seatbelt. Doesn’t mean I’m going to stop wearing my seatbelt or let my kid ride a bike without a helmet. It’s about mitigating risks.

And the open jump night at a T&T facility sounds great. Tramp use is something that can be great fun and great exercise when properly supervised and instructed.

No to just going where there are no controls. Yes to birthday parties because around here, the birthday party gets their own park staff and time on the tramps with just the party kids there and lots of supervision. So there is no danger of big cooches, crashing into the party kids. And my husband, myself or other trusted adults are there.

DD was just invited to a birthday party at a trampoline park in mid-November. I hate trampoline parks because I've read about way too many accidents, and this party is right before the start of meet season. I do have a strong overprotective streak that I try to manage, so I'm battling my urge to have her skip the party with letting her just go and have fun. Do you- or your kid's coaches, have any rules about trampoline parks?
Everybody as you have seen has different opinions on trampoline parks, doesn’t make one person right and one person wrong. You have to go with what you feel happy with and not feel pressured one way or the other.
I let my dd go to one where I know rules are followed but I fully respect those who choose not to allow their child to go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back