WAG Double back tuck acquired at what age?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have no idea... Little Bit is on the rod floor into the pit. I don't expect it on the floor for another 9-12months at earliest. She is 9.5

I would guess its more of a level than an age. We have some girls starting to work it off the tumble track into the pit but they are way off from needing to compete it. I think its getting familiar with it an avoiding becoming scared of it more than anything else.

I'm curious to know by what age it is reasonable to expect a female gymnast to acquire this skill.

Interesting question! I am by no means and expert in this area, these higher level skills are all so new to us, but I can share what we have experienced. We have two gymnasts in our family, one pursuing Hopes (our youngest 10 years), one on the JO track (13 years). Both started training double backs earlier this year/late last year. The younger one is landing them on a little mat on the hard floor, the older is landing them on mats stacked in the pit. From what we have seen with friends at different gyms, it might depend on a few different factors. Some of our friends at other gyms (same ages) started working the skill later, some started much earlier. Not sure any of that helps answer your questions.

I'm trying to see if my daughter's progress is atypical or not. I'm going to wait for a few more answers here, and then I will share more details.

So maybe I should ask, "At what age did your daughter get Double Back Tuck?" That question may better help me get the answer. Also maybe I should ask at what age they started working on it.

DD started training it at 9.5. Now, 11, does them on tumble track, trampoline, rod floor and, floor to pit with mats. Seems it is a reward to work when your assignment for the day is complete. Possibly getting used to the feel of the skill.

My daughter is a 10 year old level 7 and is nowhere near getting this skill. They recently started occasionally doing them from the tumble track into the pit, but I think it's a vault drill from what I can tell. I haven't really noticed our new level 9s doing them on the floor either (although I don't watch their practice really). Our level 10s do them, but they are probably all 13+.

Daughter started working them a year and a half ago (age 9) into the pit/tumbletrak. Worked them on and off throughout the year for fun, but not everyday. And got hers on the competition floor last night. She is now 11, and will compete level 9 in January.

Level and training make a difference. Mine is a soon to compete L8,

They will likely start working them in spring in earnest. Girls in her groups ages are 10-15

Double backs seems more impressive that twisting. But it really isn't. They are equally difficult.

My daughter competed double backs as a Level 9. She just turned 11. It might have been introduced to her two summers before L9 but really only trained it the summer before L9. My daughter to this day, her fifth year in L10 struggles with twisting. She can't get past 1 1/2.

When you say "acquire a skill", does that mean competition ready or landing it once or twice? I don't consider the acquisition of a skill as a lucky landing or two and anything other than it being competition ready. Additionally, how often a gymnast trains the skill is a huge factor. Someone may get it at 9 years old but has been training it religiously for two years. Another gymnast may have gotten it at 12 because it was only being trained sporadically even though it may have been introduced two or even 3 years prior. My point is, talent is only one of the factor in acquiring a difficult skill. Additionally double backs is not required skill at any level. So some may never have it.

Agreed! If they're not given the opportunity to train the skill they cannot get it. I was not necessarily using competition ready as the criteria. I'm looking for they are training it and capable of landing. My daughter us still doing it into pit with stacked mats. No more spot needed. She may do on floor with a spot within a month or two.

I think we have never had kids under the age of 12 compete double backs in this whole country. Many of the juniors (girls born 2005-2003) didn't even do it in the Nationals this year. I would be super impressed to see a 10 year old throw that skill in a routine! It's a risky skill and can lead to a catastrophic injury, so no need to get rid of safety mats, pits and spotting too early.

I may have inaccurate information, but I did hear that the double back is more dangerous than double twisting skills. I heard that it is not competed in cheer competitions for this reason.

Since this is tagged with Hopes/TOPS I assume you’re only asking about those pursuing Elite?

Mine isn’t, but she was 12, level 9, FWIW. :)

Since this is tagged with Hopes/TOPS I assume you’re only asking about those pursuing Elite?

Mine isn’t, but she was 12, level 9, FWIW. :)

I don't think it had that tag when I answered? If it did, I totally missed it! There is no TOPs/Hopes/Elite at dd's gym, so my answer definitely does not apply.

I think we have never had kids under the age of 12 compete double backs in this whole country. Many of the juniors (girls born 2005-2003) didn't even do it in the Nationals this year. I would be super impressed to see a 10 year old throw that skill in a routine! It's a risky skill and can lead to a catastrophic injury, so no need to get rid of safety mats, pits and spotting too early.

Kids were doing them in 2008 at JOs and they were definitely under 12...they weren't all that common and you saw double twists more often, but they were being done.

My daughter started training a double back after her level 8 season, she was 10 years old but is also on the elite path. She never did compete a double back though, her double pike was better so she competed that in level 10, at 11 years old, and also in her HOPES routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back