Parents College Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scottskart

Proud Parent
Hey - other than that spreadsheet that someone keeps up with showing the commits (NCAA WAG Rosters & Commits) is there another way to tell how many spots are available for your daughter's year?

Thank you.

Collegegymfans.com keeps one and updates on their news feed as well. What I like about this one is that it shows the number of potential spots. It is not always accurate and it doesn't always specify in state vs out of state, it helps gauge approximations. Also, it only has D1 and some of the D2.

Reactions: sce
I use both the spreadsheet and the one gymgal uses. You can also cross reference with gymdivas.com. I think the spreadsheet and gymdivas are updated more often. Collegegymfans was last updated on Nov. 28, 2018. Interestingly, they regularly post updates on college recruits but their list somehow does not get updated. I also inquired with both collegegymfans, ncaagymnews and gymdivas on where they get their information and they candidly stated through gymnasts website, news releases, and with each other; so mostly online. None of these websites get their information first hand from what I understand. I don’t know of any other websites. So, the only foolproof way to find out is calling the coaches.

I do know of 2 verbals that aren’t listed anywhere so if I know of two I’m sure there are plenty more that just aren’t “out there” yet- which is depressing. LOL.

So - on the NCAA WAG Rosters/Commits spreadsheet - at the end of each year it will show (for example) 1 open or 11/12 -- what is that referring to? And....if they have a "full" list of names but still show 4 open - what does that mean?

Thank you.

So - on the NCAA WAG Rosters/Commits spreadsheet - at the end of each year it will show (for example) 1 open or 11/12 -- what is that referring to? And....if they have a "full" list of names but still show 4 open - what does that mean?

It's giving you an estimate of how many scholarships are open. Some schools like the UC's have a lot of walk-ons so it looks like they are overfull. I still can't figure out UCLA's for this year, for example. I've heard that one gal had a scholarship, but she isn't on UCLA's official post (which are their full rides). Also, some of the gymnasts listed on the spreadsheet are contingent, my dd has a friend who hasn't competed in years and she was offered a walk-on dependent on how she competes. I also see a couple gymnasts listed that have quit gym altogether. Overall, though probably the only way to keep track. Also, schools hold out for gymnasts like Trinity Thomas and then when she finally decides elsewhere, they have a sudden opening. Of course, what is most interesting are those gymnasts with multiple offers that have not decided yet. Unlike football where the boys all announce their offers on twitter and IG and there are services that keep track, gym world is very silent about this publicly. My dd knows about her friends, and tells me, but I can't divulge because she's told me in confidence and it's just not done.

It's giving you an estimate of how many scholarships are open. Some schools like the UC's have a lot of walk-ons so it looks like they are overfull. I still can't figure out UCLA's for this year, for example. I've heard that one gal had a scholarship, but she isn't on UCLA's official post (which are their full rides). Also, some of the gymnasts listed on the spreadsheet are contingent, my dd has a friend who hasn't competed in years and she was offered a walk-on dependent on how she competes. I also see a couple gymnasts listed that have quit gym altogether. Overall, though probably the only way to keep track. Also, schools hold out for gymnasts like Trinity Thomas and then when she finally decides elsewhere, they have a sudden opening. Of course, what is most interesting are those gymnasts with multiple offers that have not decided yet. Unlike football where the boys all announce their offers on twitter and IG and there are services that keep track, gym world is very silent about this publicly. My dd knows about her friends, and tells me, but I can't divulge because she's told me in confidence and it's just not done.

It sure is frustrating and challenging trying to figure all this out! Lol. I guess for my DD - she just has to keep contacting all of them....?

Thank you.

Those numbers are suppose to tell you how many spots are still open. However, I would not rely on that because it seems they are not updated regularly. You are better off counting the names shaded in blue to determine if the team has already given out their 12 scholarships. Unless you are an elite or very high scoring gymnast, you need to do your own research and be ready and willing to do the legwork. Remember, there are only 61 Division 1 teams and they only have 3-5 spots open each year.

what good is a verbal if it isn't publicized? The colleges want the girls to announce their verbals so that other potential schools don't continue to try to recruit them.

I do know of 2 verbals that aren’t listed anywhere so if I know of two I’m sure there are plenty more that just aren’t “out there” yet- which is depressing. LOL.

what good is a verbal if it isn't publicized? The colleges want the girls to announce their verbals so that other potential schools don't continue to try to recruit them.

There is no rule or requirement for the athlete or the school to publicize their verbal commitments. While a verbal is indeed a commitment on both sides, it is not carved in stone. Schools and gymnasts have backed out of verbals. So publicizing it does not mean much.

I don't think schools announce verbals, but it's just college gym news not updating their lists, or they are unaware of the verbal as of yet. I am aware of one verbal that the gymnast has posted but it's not published on any of the docs above. It's not an Oklahoma or Florida, so probably not as high on the radar.

Not sure what you mean. It’s still the same agreement whether publicized or not.

I don't think schools announce verbals, but it's just college gym news not updating their lists, or they are unaware of the verbal as of yet. I am aware of one verbal that the gymnast has posted but it's not published on any of the docs above. It's not an Oklahoma or Florida, so probably not as high on the radar.

One of the two I know of unannounced is Denver 2022. Not Oklahoma or Florida but a pretty good one! I did notice just this week, actually, that sometime very recently she added it to her instagram bio. She’s been committed over a year. I guess it’s out there now and may show up on those trackers sometime soon.

I was being facetious. If a tree falls in the first and no one hear, does it make a sound sorta thing. Lol

There is no rule or requirement for the athlete or the school to publicize their verbal commitments. While a verbal is indeed a commitment on both sides, it is not carved in stone. Schools and gymnasts have backed out of verbals. So publicizing it does not mean much.
Verbal commitments are worht the apepr they are written on. The reason that there is no rule about publicising them, is that the NCAA does not legitimize them, so would not create any such rule. Verbal commits happen before the gymnast is allowed to speak to the colleges.

This argument comes out every time verbals are discussed. I would agree with most of what you've written except for the fact that the majority of gymnasts do end up at the school to which they initially committed.

I also find it difficult to argue that such a thing is worthless given all the time and money spent by coaches to recruit and verbally commit athletes.

Verbal commitments are worht the apepr they are written on. The reason that there is no rule about publicising them, is that the NCAA does not legitimize them, so would not create any such rule. Verbal commits happen before the gymnast is allowed to speak to the colleges.

This argument comes out every time verbals are discussed. I would agree with most of what you've written except for the fact that the majority of gymnasts do end up at the school to which they initially committed.

I also find it difficult to argue that such a thing is worthless given all the time and money spent by coaches to recruit and verbally commit athletes.

I totally agree with you tomtnt..."verbals aren't worth the paper they're written on" is drummed into gymnasts'heads but while it may be that you legally can't hold the school to it, i do think there is still value in a commitment made by the athlete and the school....I think when a gymnast gets dumped by a school , she doesn't just chalk it up to "well it was a worthless verbal". Granted there are circumstances that can lead to pulling a verbal but there have also been instances when the shiny new thing came along before NLI signing and the class was full already so Susie with her years long verbal is out of luck....and yes, I'm looking at you LSU.

When my youngest realized her knee was shot and she couldn't be the gymnast that had verballed it was a very heart wrenching experience for both sides...so the "verbal" did mean something to both sides.The extra scholarship wasn't publicized and collegegymfans.com wasn't updated, but her school went on to sign an amazing athlete , who was a true late bloomer at JO , and she has broken many records at that program. So it all worked out but I do think a verbal means something....

I have heard a few athletes changed commitments but no details as to whether it is the school or athlete who changed their minds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back