WAG New Recruiting Rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjb123

Proud Parent
I thought I saw on FB something about changes to recruiting, but when I went back it seemed to have vanished. I had not had the chance to read it, so I was wondering if anyone knew of changes coming out for recruiting? TIA! Thanks!

The information about camps was confusing. So if a camp is open to recruitable and non recruitable athletes then they CAN talk about recruiting? Isn't that pretty much all college camps? And they are not allowed to send camp info to kids prior to summer after the 10th grade? Just trying to see if I understand this correctly.

The information about camps was confusing. So if a camp is open to recruitable and non recruitable athletes then they CAN talk about recruiting? Isn't that pretty much all college camps? And they are not allowed to send camp info to kids prior to summer after the 10th grade? Just trying to see if I understand this correctly.

Only after aug 1st of junior year

wow! that's interesting- they actually moved UP the date that coaches can now contact athletes directly. class of 2021/sophomore will be getting calls this June...

Nothing about prohibiting earlier contact from athlete=>coach or prohibiting verbals like was rumored.

13.9.1 Oral Offer of Aid -- Sports Other Than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an athletics department staff member shall not, directly or indirectly, provide an individual an oral offer (or indicate that an offer will or may be made) of athletically related financial aid, other institutional financial aid, admission to the institution or as a member of an intercollegiate team before August 1 at the beginning of the individual's junior year in high school.

That is interesting. I can't seem to find the actual rule though on the page above. It only links to the media release. Anyone know where to find it?

We were told zero contact with coaches after May 1st and no more verbals until August 1 leading into junior year (2022 for us). I know of MANY 8th graders that have received offers in the last 24 hours with more probably coming. 8th graders are fair game but no one is going to touch a 7th grader...

We were told zero contact with coaches after May 1st and no more verbals until August 1 leading into junior year (2022 for us). I know of MANY 8th graders that have received offers in the last 24 hours with more probably coming. 8th graders are fair game but no one is going to touch a 7th grader...
present or rising 8th graders? I have a feeling the college coaches will still find a way around this, unless they are banning college coaches from talking to the club coaches as well...

present or rising 8th graders? I have a feeling the college coaches will still find a way around this, unless they are banning college coaches from talking to the club coaches as well...
They are banning all recruiting contact between coaches. Zero, nada. And I’m talking current 8th graders (class of 2023)

I really hope this happens for so many reasons. It would be great for girls whose goal is college (not elite) to be able to train to not peak until later and to reduce some of this craziness of high hours at such young ages and wearing girls out before they even get to high school much less college... I hope this goes into effect and then I hope it changes how coaches plan for training the gymnasts. If recruiting doesn't happen until after Sophomore year, then it doesn't matter how many years girls are doing the high level skills, all that will matter is how well they are doing the skills by age 15ish.

I really hope this happens for so many reasons. It would be great for girls whose goal is college (not elite) to be able to train to not peak until later and to reduce some of this craziness of high hours at such young ages and wearing girls out before they even get to high school much less college... I hope this goes into effect and then I hope it changes how coaches plan for training the gymnasts. If recruiting doesn't happen until after Sophomore year, then it doesn't matter how many years girls are doing the high level skills, all that will matter is how well they are doing the skills by age 15ish.
It is going into effect on May 1

I really hope this happens for so many reasons. It would be great for girls whose goal is college (not elite) to be able to train to not peak until later and to reduce some of this craziness of high hours at such young ages and wearing girls out before they even get to high school much less college... I hope this goes into effect and then I hope it changes how coaches plan for training the gymnasts. If recruiting doesn't happen until after Sophomore year, then it doesn't matter how many years girls are doing the high level skills, all that will matter is how well they are
doing the skills by age 15ish.

Definitely could help shift the culture a little!

I’m confused by the different links posted here. What exactly is the change? I still don’t see how verbals can be regulated. I’d love if that were the case but does the change explicitly state that? Or is it just more limits on how the communication happens?

13.9.1 Oral Offer of Aid -- Sports Other Than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an athletics department staff member shall not, directly or indirectly, provide an individual an oral offer (or indicate that an offer will or may be made) of athletically related financial aid, other institutional financial aid, admission to the institution or as a member of an intercollegiate team before August 1 at the beginning of the individual's junior year in high school.

That rule DID NOT pass. Please read the rule directly from NCAA:

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=103609

It did not pass for 2 reasons: enforceability and timing. If colleges are allowed to talk with athletes June after Sophomore year, it did not make sense to have to wait till August Jr year to make the offer.

"There are some concerns with the enforceability of limiting oral offers of aid until a date that occurs after the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athlete. By removing the restriction on oral offers of aid, the proposal will allow such offers to occur on the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athletes."

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back