WAG New Recruiting Rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is true, just one of the many loopholes of the new rules. I can guarantee that offers will still happen, they will just be done "under the table" and will probably not be officially announced until June 15 of their sophomore year.
there is no under the table in this sport...impossible to keep a secret.

I believe NCAA coaches had until May 1 to offer, but now that the offers are out, the gymnasts can accept even though it's now May 1. They cannot talk to the NCAA coaches about the offer, but their coaches can accept on their behalf. They can also send acceptance emails which will receive no response.

Offers and verbals were non-binding before and are still non-binding. Everyone will know who is offered and accepted. As @lovofu said, 100% of everything in gymnastics leaks. But there is nothing wrong with a NCAA coach saying they will offer after sophomore year, and the athlete saying they will accept after sophomore year.

I'm sorry gymnasts will not have the chance to talk to coaches. I think that process helps everyone acclimate to their team and have strong relationships. Day camps are expensive, but unfortunately essential under the new rules.

Three eighth graders. Draser to UF, Barros to UCLA and at least one more who hasn't announced yet.

It'll be interesting to see if Draser lasts for the next 5 years to even get to UF...she competes for Tammy Marshall who's a great coach whose gymnasts do well in JO (she was the former coach of GMGC in NY) and win a lot in JO but they get to college with a ton of promise and never last.....among the great ones I can think of of the top of my head Miceli at ASU, Zlotolow at Ohio St, Postiglione at Penn St, Ryder at Arkansas, Swoboda at WVU.....not one of them last 4 years in NCAA gymnastics, and they didn't even do the rigors of elite like Draser is before they got there. Casey Lauter at UNH is the only one I can think of that made it 4 years. Good luck to Draser.

That is true, just one of the many loopholes of the new rules. I can guarantee that offers will still happen, they will just be done "under the table" and will probably not be officially announced until June 15 of their sophomore year.
When you say “under the table” are you implying the coaches, parents and athletes are breaking the rules?

It's against the rules now so hence any new verbals would have to be done "under the table"

Thus the question “When you say “under the table” are you implying the coaches, parents and athletes are breaking the rules?”

Maybe the question should have asked if you were saying they WILL break the rules, under the new rules? Is that what you mean by “under the table”?

Thus the question “When you say “under the table” are you implying the coaches, parents and athletes are breaking the rules?”

Maybe the question should have asked if you were saying they WILL break the rules, under the new rules? Is that what you mean by “under the table”?
Oh my goodness it's not that hard....I was simply saying that yes, clearly if any verbals are made now they would have to be done secretly as doing it "above the table" would clearly show that rules were broken.

Thus the question “When you say “under the table” are you implying the coaches, parents and athletes are breaking the rules
Yes, if a verbal offer is extended to a gymnast who has not yet made it to June 15 of their sophomore year then they would have very clearly broken the rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back