MAG Proposed NCAA changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I like most of it. The 10.0 system has potential, but will need some tweaking I think (a score of a 0 would receive a 6.25, while I think it would be better to start the scale at a 0 and end it at a 10).

It would be really exciting to have competitions and points like in the German Bundesliga, where the amount of points is calculated using the difference in score between 2 routines, instead of for a single score. One gymnast goes up, the other team chooses a gymnast to go up against that gymnast. (, explaition starts at 13:15). This would make it a bit more confusing for fans, but with good coverage that problem is easily solved.

I don't like the idea of 8 skills vs. 10, especially since it is not in the FIG code. They talk about decreasing the difference between Ncaa and elite under the first point, then here try to change it to elite and ncaa should be different. That did not make sense to me.

I like the idea of head to head, although i do not like the way it is currently laid out. I do not like the 10.0 system....although, the conversion makes it a tad more doable. Why not just show the E score? That is always out of 10!

I do not like the 4 up 4 count format. This seems to further limit options for boys instead of increasing them.

I do agree with some of what I have read. it is the expense of gymnastics that keeps colleges away. Equipment is pricey. So how do we figure out how to deal with that issue?

Men's gymnastics is about in the middle range of expense. Equipment is pricey, but it's not replaced that often.

What hurts both men's and women's gymnastics is the need for dedicated training space that can't be used by other sports, or by most of the student body. Swimming isn't cheap, but lots of recreational swimmers can use a pool. It's not like people from the general student body are going to use the pommel horse.

The fastest growing intercollegiate sport for both men and women is LaCrosse - but one can just throw that on to preexisting fields that can be used at other times for other purposes.

To add new teams people may have to get creative with space - arrange to have teams train off site. The start up GymAct teams like Southern Cal United already do this.

I don't like the 4 up 4 count, as it limits participation. Men's gymnastics needs to grow the population of participants, not shrink it.

If the fanbase is going to be mostly gymnasts and families - grow that group, don't shrink it.

The 10.0 conversion in my opinion is mostly a waste of time.

Big Football gets about 1/3 to 1/2 of its revenue from donors. At some schools, revenue from donors exceeds that from TV contracts. Men's gymnastics should strive to get at least that amount of revenue from donors.

California wasn't saved from extinction because its attendance suddenly went through the roof. It's because people paid for it.

Everything else is commentary.

I have a friend who played football for William and Mary. A few years ago we were talking about what is happening with men's college gymnastics and he said he didn't see it going anywhere at William and Mary because per athlete the gymnast alumni consistently bring in more than the other sports alumni. Apparently they all get some sort of breakdown to show which sports are donating back to the school and a big deal is made of it. Just something to keep in mind as we try to save the sport for the guys...

I think the worst part about it is the four up four count. It will limit participation and I believe ultimately shrink rosters. Teams will not need as many athletes if there are only 4 per event. It will make it extremely difficult for guys to make the lineup.

I was just sent this petition. Written by a gymnast (probably college) in opposition to the changes. Worth a read. Sign if you agree.

I think the worst part about it is the four up four count. It will limit participation and I believe ultimately shrink rosters. Teams will not need as many athletes if there are only 4 per event. It will make it extremely difficult for guys to make the lineup.
In many instances, the roster cuts are being dictated by the Universities. The 5/4 or 4/4 proposals are an attempt to maintain parity in response to those roster cuts. It also allows the meets to be quicker and more suitable for broadcasting. Everyone is aware of the ramifications, but unfortunately roster sizes are not within the Coaches control. (IMHO the 10.0 proposal should be a non-starter)

KRC

The only change I like out of all of them is the lowering of 10 skills to 8. But, they should not do that until FIG does it first. Everything else will not grow the sport. The only thing I see growing the sport is Marketing! Get it out into the public's face all the time. In this day and age of social media, there are only a handful of the 15 schools that are on any social media platform every day. Even in the offseason. Link up Instagram to Twitter and FB and you can post to all 3 in one post. It's ridiculous not to.

Head to head is fine. I'm not sure I want to watch 10 guys go on floor. I'd rather see 2 events at the same time. Plus the waiting around for the judging to finish while you could be watching the other event. That would make the meet longer, which is exactly what they don't want.

Head to head is fine. I'm not sure I want to watch 10 guys go on floor. I'd rather see 2 events at the same time. Plus the waiting around for the judging to finish while you could be watching the other event. That would make the meet longer, which is exactly what they don't want.
My concern with head to head is what happens when one team is wining by 15 points after three events (think Oklahoma over the last few years)? In other sports, the crowd empties out in a blowout. So in a gymnastics blowout, would the crowd just leave before Parallel bars? It would have no impact on the winner if one team is so far ahead already.

My concern with head to head is what happens when one team is winning by 15 points after three events (think Oklahoma over the last few years)? In other sports, the crowd empties out in a blowout. So in a gymnastics blowout, would the crowd just leave before Parallel bars? It would have no impact on the winner if one team is so far ahead already.
I meant as the athletes going head to head. I don't want any changes to scoring. I don't want point play or the 10. NCAA needs to stay FIG so the US can be competitive with the rest of the world, considering the NCAA feeds the Elite system.
You are correct. If a team is constantly blown out, no one will show up to the meets. And isn't that their motivation for all these changes, to create an audience?

I was just sent this petition. Written by a gymnast (probably college) in opposition to the changes. Worth a read. Sign if you agree.

I have some constructive criticism for the author of the petition. It needs to be rewritten without grammatical errors. Make your points clear and concise. While I understand the passion and emotion in the text, it'll go further if the facts are stated as to why there are some horrible ideas presented.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back