WAG USAG enforcing leotard policy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amiandjim

Proud Parent
Apparently USAG will begin enforcing the no open back policy starting Aug 1
387BD988-77C9-464D-A2D2-F3E5D4F6B937.jpeg

yeah... our leotards are out. We weren't going to get new ones this year but I guess we will have to now.

I really hope they give a grace period. We just switched gyms mid-season so I essentially bought TWO very sparkly costly leotards last season. The one at the new gym has an open back.... I really can't stomach buying a 3rd!

I’m happy to see this rule. While some of the backless leos are pretty, girls should be able to wear a bra without fear of it showing. I do feel bad though for parents who will have to buy new leos again. But this isn’t a new rule, correct? They are just now deciding to enforce it?

I’m happy to see this rule. While some of the backless leos are pretty, girls should be able to wear a bra without fear of it showing. I do feel bad though for parents who will have to buy new leos again. But this isn’t a new rule, correct? They are just now deciding to enforce it?
Yes, backless leotards were already against the rules. They are just clarifying in exact detail what "backless" means.

I agree I am happy about enforcing this rule because worrying about your bra showing should NOT be part of the sport. This is the back of our current leo which according to the above will not be in compliance:
16_b5f00753-319f-48ff-b1c3-ccd72a307e89_1000x1000.jpg

I agree I am happy about enforcing this rule because worrying about your bra showing should NOT be part of the sport. This is the back of our current leo which according to the above will not be in compliance: View attachment 7642
All they would have to do is get a seamstress to attach nude mesh starting about where the black "x" is and down from there. Should be much less expensive than a new leotard. ;)

I agree I am happy about enforcing this rule because worrying about your bra showing should NOT be part of the sport. This is the back of our current leo which according to the above will not be in compliance: View attachment 7642
We have the same leo and I saw a lot of other teams with it as well. We just bought new leos last year so we are not supposed to get news ones until next year - I’ll be curious what the coaches decide to do. My younger daughter’s leo was stolen from our rental car after a travel meet so I have to buy at least one new leo anyway.

They really can’t give a 1-year grace period, because it’s already a rule In the R&P. I think due to some high profile gyms pushing the limits lately or just blatantly ignoring the rule, USAG had to do something about it. I’m guessing they got a lot of complaints, so they had to start enforcing the rule. I, for one, and glad, because we all know that if you give an inch, many will take a mile. With the popularity of the Sylvia P line, they really needed to do something, because all the companies seemed to be following them.

I think that the gyms that went with those leos should eat the cost of putting mesh in the back for the girls who already had the leos. They knew good and well that what they picked broke the rules and chose to push the limit even though common sense would tell them that even if there hadn't been a rule against is (which there was) the style would be problematic for any girl who needs a bra.

I'm wondering how this is going to be enforced? Is there any wording eluding to what the consequences are?

I think that the gyms that went with those leos should eat the cost of putting mesh in the back for the girls who already had the leos. They knew good and well that what they picked broke the rules and chose to push the limit even though common sense would tell them that even if there hadn't been a rule against is (which there was) the style would be problematic for any girl who needs a bra.
Our level 10s get to pick our leos (or at least they play a big role in choosing). I’ve never heard any of the girls complain about not being able to wear a bra. My daughter is younger so it’s not an issue for us but I think I would have heard something. But ours has the big strap across the back so maybe it covers the bra strap. They weren’t my favorite when we got them but they do look beautiful in competition.

The pictured Leo is ours as well. I didn't like the open back then (I think I started a thread on it) and I like it even less now. We are supposed to use it for another year.

I don’t think a grace period should be given since it was a known rule to start with and gyms chose to violate it anyway. However, I do think that since the fault lies with them and not the parents, the offending gyms should either pay for mesh or to replace them with new ones. Probably won’t happen but it’s not right to expect parents to have to pay for another expensive leotard because they chose to ignore the rules.

I don’t think a grace period should be given since it was a known rule to start with and gyms chose to violate it anyway. However, I do think that since the fault lies with them and not the parents, the offending gyms should either pay for mesh or to replace them with new ones. Probably won’t happen but it’s not right to expect parents to have to pay for another expensive leotard because they chose to ignore the rules.
Around here, they could get the mesh sewn in for less than $20 per leotard ... and even less than that if they provided the mesh.
I agree the gyms should pay for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back