WAG What ONE event do you think is the hardest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
Gymnastics is hard. But, if you had to guess ONE event that is harder for OPTIONAL gymnasts in general to conquer than any other, what would it be?

Bars is definitely the hardest event for me and for a lot of my teammates. It requires a lot of strength and you are going nowhere without very good basics. I feel like it's a lot easier to just 'chuck' skills on other events.
It all depends on the gymnast though, some are obviously natural bars workers and struggle on the other events.

For my DD its vault she just hasnt figured out how to generate Power there but I would say for a lot of her team its Bars. There are a lot of factors as its not just skills but angles (Handstands) and as someone else said the skills from other events don't translate to bars (back handspring on floor to beam to vault for example)

I would say Bars and Beam as well, although those are my daughters strongest events. But generally speaking bars and beam seem to be the hardest for most.

So interesting. Bars is by far the easiest event for my DD physically. It's not even close. She is levels ahead on bars compared to the other events. Even release moves are coming pretty quickly. Beam is probably the hardest event for her -- mostly for mental reasons but also because of physical limitations (she is not bendy) -- however vault and floor are no cake walk either due to a general lack of power. So based on our experience, the hardest event is everything but bars!!

So interesting. Bars is by far the easiest event for my DD physically. It's not even close. She is levels ahead on bars compared to the other events. Even release moves are coming pretty quickly. Beam is probably the hardest event for her -- mostly for mental reasons but also because of physical limitations (she is not bendy) -- however vault and floor are no cake walk either due to a general lack of power. So based on our experience, the hardest event is everything but bars!!

It's funny because I was responding what I thought would apply to most gymnasts, so I said floor was the easiest and beam (mentally)/bars (physically) were the hardest. But, my dd is more or less the opposite. Beam is her favorite and best event and the one she would probably say is easiest. Bars is a very close second. Vault used to be her hardest/worst event, but she actually really likes the yurchenko and flipping and suddenly she likes vault. So I think floor is actually the one she would say is hardest now. She scores pretty well on it, but tumbling (especially front tumbling) does not come as easy to her. She's not a natural at it in general and is usually one of the last in her group to look good doing it. She has just started twisting though and she likes that and has picked up on that a lot quicker than front tumbling.

I agree. Bars is the hardest although it's my two DDs best events-- not necessarily scorewise, but skillwise. Neither can stay on the beam to save their life. level 9.

As I gymnast, I always found bars to be the easiest. I was one of those gymnasts who was very strong and very powerful but had to work very hard on my flexibility.

So I found beam to be the hardest, I found the tumbling on beam easier, it was getting those split angles that would kill my scores. In this respect I found optional got a little easier than compulsory levels though. In Level 4,5 and 6 (Australia) we needed BOTH a split leap and a split jump in our routines. At optionals we needed to fulfill the leap series, so we,only needed 1 split skill to fulfill the requirements, also in optionals we could use the harder tumbling to beef up scores.

It really depends on the child and their strengths/weaknesses. Over the years we have seen girls who are “beamers,” , girls who rock the bars, girls who kill the vault....it becomes such a variety once they get up there, which is why I feel at that point girls start specializing, and the all around gymnast becomes quite special.

Now for optional PARENTS? That is easy. Watching them compete is an event in itself, and imho the worst “event” possible. I remember a meet one year when I just. Couldn’t. Watch. No rhyme or reason why, but my nerves were shot that day. I kept asking my dh “is she done yet?” with my head in my hands. Longest routines of my life.

As I gymnast, I always found bars to be the easiest. I was one of those gymnasts who was very strong and very powerful but had to work very hard on my flexibility.

So I found beam to be the hardest, I found the tumbling on beam easier, it was getting those split angles that would kill my scores. In this respect I found optional got a little easier than compulsory levels though. In Level 4,5 and 6 (Australia) we needed BOTH a split leap and a split jump in our routines. At optionals we needed to fulfill the leap series, so we,only needed 1 split skill to fulfill the requirements, also in optionals we could use the harder tumbling to beef up scores.

For some reason I've always thought you were a male coach. Insert => mindblown smilie here. :D

For my DD its vault she just hasnt figured out how to generate Power there but I would say for a lot of her team its Bars.

I was going to right exactly this for my dd. She and one teammate do well on bars. Everyone else on the team seems to struggle most with bars. She and the other bars teammate struggle most with vault.

I answered generally but specific to my d? bars has been the easiest mentally and physically as well. Since she was young, she was considered a natural swinger. Releases even came fairly easily.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back