Parents Florida meets at end of February

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gasparilla is in Tampa, which is a couple hours away. We wnet last year and I was not a big fan of it. Didn't like the set up. But the medals were really cool. I believe the Disney meets are only in January?

I thought that Magical Classic was a nice, well-run meet (mid February) in Orlando. Disney themed but not actually on Disney property. It's held at the Orlando World Center Marriott, which was a nice property for girls to stay at too. Fun pool area, etc. Discounted theme tickets were available for purchase.

That same weekend is also the Presidential Classic held at the ESPN Sports Complex. I believe this event might offer an event rate at a Disney hotel?? We didn't attend this meet, but I know several big gyms in our area went so I suspect it is competitive.

Note that both of these meets are held over Presidents' Day weekend. Great because there is often an extra day off school, but the theme parks are super packed!

We have done the Gasparilla Classic for 2 years now. I know gymgal said she didn't like it, but our gym loves it. We head down from the Midwest to go to it, and love the set up. They actually compete on the field at Tropicana and the venue is huge. I think it's good experience for the girls to be in a venue that big and open. They have about 7 floors set up for the gymnastics too, and have great medals, trophy's and giveaways. The competition we have experienced is pretty good too, and they have teams come in from other countries. I think our gym is planning on going again this year too. Also, I know it's not Disney (which I love too) but we typically do a gym beach day while we are there at Clearwater beach, so some good team bonding as well.

Daughter did the presidential last year. I did not like the total experience. Meet was run well but felt like an assembly line, not a sporting event. Being in Disney tends to divide an athletes attention it caused DD stress. Disney did offer discount hotel and park fees.

I took her to three Disney Parks and Universal. On the flight home asked her what was your favorite amusement park. Her Answer Hershey Park. Go figure.

Daughter did the presidential last year. I did not like the total experience. Meet was run well but felt like an assembly line, not a sporting event. Being in Disney tends to divide an athletes attention it caused DD stress. Disney did offer discount hotel and park fees.

I took her to three Disney Parks and Universal. On the flight home asked her what was your favorite amusement park. Her Answer Hershey Park. Go figure.
Lmao

We have done the Gasparilla Classic for 2 years now. I know gymgal said she didn't like it, but our gym loves it. We head down from the Midwest to go to it, and love the set up. They actually compete on the field at Tropicana and the venue is huge. I think it's good experience for the girls to be in a venue that big and open. They have about 7 floors set up for the gymnastics too, and have great medals, trophy's and giveaways. The competition we have experienced is pretty good too, and they have teams come in from other countries. I think our gym is planning on going again this year too. Also, I know it's not Disney (which I love too) but we typically do a gym beach day while we are there at Clearwater beach, so some good team bonding as well.
My main irritations with this meet were that we were looking through the netting, which not only meant horrible video/pics but also gave us all headaches. There were some "gyms" where you could stay on the field to watch and I assume that was much better experience. We also had a hard time hearing the floor music but heard the compulsory music all the way across the field (we were at home plate and it was in the far outfield).

My main irritations with this meet were that we were looking through the netting, which not only meant horrible video/pics but also gave us all headaches. There were some "gyms" where you could stay on the field to watch and I assume that was much better experience. We also had a hard time hearing the floor music but heard the compulsory music all the way across the field (we were at home plate and it was in the far outfield).
Ahh. We were at home plate too. Agreed that the music was wonky - we sat in front of the floor where the speakers were pointed and that was better. We didn't really notice the netting as an obstacle. We actually loved the seating - at home plate they were the most comfortable seats ever at a meet! But I could see that some of these things could have been irritating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back