WAG Haney under investigation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Based on these two comments in the article it makes me wonder how this information was obtained and from whom.

Haney did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

USA Gymnastics declined to comment directly on the Haney investigation.

What is USAG supposed to do when they are asked, lie and say she's not under investigation? Of course it's going to make the news - Haney is high profile.
It shouldn’t be leaked out .... it’s just a matter of time before someone complains about all of us.... my suzie got her feelings hurt.. shouldn’t be made public until it’s official ..... Imagine if school teachers were listed in the news every time a Parent complained. There has to be a system in place , that’s all I am saying

It shouldn’t be leaked out .... it’s just a matter of time before someone complains about all of us.... my suzie got her feelings hurt.. shouldn’t be made public until it’s official ..... Imagine if school teachers were listed in the news every time a Parent complained. There has to be a system in place , that’s all I am saying

I certainly understand the fear. But do we actually hear about every complaint against a coach? Is one complaint enough to land them on the Safe Sport list or whatever? I thought we only publicly hear about it once there's enough to warrant an investigation. And I do think it's fair for consumers to know when an investigation is taking place. Regardless the occupation: coach, teacher, doctor, etc.

I know for a fact we do not hear about every complaint. There is a Facebook post by a mom of a high level gymnast in NC that detailed some really hideous allegations, and I know that this coach has been reported more than once to Safesport and nothing has been done.

As far as Haney, I read on another page that parents and gymnasts who have complained and gotten nowhere have started contacting the reporter from the OC Register directly to try to get things done.

I certainly understand the fear. But do we actually hear about every complaint against a coach? Is one complaint enough to land them on the Safe Sport list or whatever? I thought we only publicly hear about it once there's enough to warrant an investigation. And I do think it's fair for consumers to know when an investigation is taking place. Regardless the occupation: coach, teacher, doctor

a single complaint will result in an investigation .... a local gym got a call from safesport because a parent complained that they gave her daughter a hard time for being late ... just like school or work .... so yes it’s a concern

Great so now if someone even files a complaint we make the news........ Imagine if this were your profession.....

I understand your concern and I believe there is validity to it. But this isn’t one or two complaints. There are multiple complaints against the coach, who also happens to be a very high profile coach.

Assuming you are a parent, wouldn’t you want to know if there were multiple complaints (not just one) against a teacher or a coach? Especially when you have a choice of gyms to send your child too?

Given the history of abuse in the sport, I think it’s fine to be overly cautious about abuse allegations. I don’t think there will be a mass rush to file complaints about hurting feelings, or not moving kids up. Those parents will vote on your program with their feet. There are still plenty of coaches that are nurturing but tough. There are also coaches, like a poster wrote about recently who made a kid hold a split for 45 minutes while she was in tears. Should the coach lose her job? Probably not, but she should be educated about why this shouldn’t happen. Most professionals, like MD’s, lawyers, teachers have mandatory continuing education to teach best practice. At our gym, the coaches do this also.

A single complaint is not opening investigations, and especially not something silly like a coach fussing at a kid for being late. I’m sorry but that’s bull. USAG Safe sport is not investigating nonsense like that. It’s rumor. They will not even respond to serious allegations. We submitted a complaint in which a coach hit, slapped, and pushed an 8 year old child, forced kids to skip lunch and eat on the beam for fears, made kids pick up dog waste for balking on skills, verbally harassed and bullied, impersonated kids on social media..,I could go on and on. They opened an investigation, but they did not do one single thing. The reason this Maggie Haney is getting publicity is because of cases like the one I’m describing where usag has done nothing. They don’t care. No one does. It’s little kids and not high profile elite athletes, so it’s ignored. This is child abuse. Period.

A single complaint is not opening investigations, and especially not something silly like a coach fussing at a kid for being late. I’m sorry but that’s bull. USAG Safe sport is not investigating nonsense like that. It’s rumor. They will not even respond to serious allegations. We submitted a complaint in which a coach hit, slapped, and pushed an 8 year old child, forced kids to skip lunch and eat on the beam for fears, made kids pick up dog waste for balking on skills, verbally harassed and bullied, impersonated kids on social media..,I could go on and on. They opened an investigation, but they did not do one single thing. The reason this Maggie Haney is getting publicity is because of cases like the one I’m describing where usag has done nothing. They don’t care. No one does. It’s little kids and not high profile elite athletes, so it’s ignored. This is child abuse. Period.
It’s not a rumor ..... Sadly safesport is a highly disorganized organization . And yes they spend time on head scratching incidents and ignore much more important issues . However, everyone deserves a little due process prior to being outed in the media ...

I understand your concern and I believe there is validity to it. But this isn’t one or two complaints. There are multiple complaints against the coach, who also happens to be a very high profile coach.

Assuming you are a parent, wouldn’t you want to know if there were multiple complaints (not just one) against a teacher or a coach? Especially when you have a choice of gyms to send your child too?
The question should be , why isn’t she already on the list . Because outing people who are not on the list is going to result in more legal action . And worse potentially outing someone who has done nothing . Because let me tell you , the public are perceiving guilt first . Now Maggie May be guilty , but what about the well known coaches who were put on the list and then taken off? What do they get ? Money ? Apology? Do you ever hear about the coaches who are off the list ? No.... that’s a huge problem . How would you like to be Dan W from Arizona and get out on the list for everyone to see and then taken off quietly .... no one cares but he sure does and the rest of us are scared ....

There are so many wonderful things about this sport, from both the physical and mental perspective. Since coaches probably spend more time with our kids than we do, it is vitally important that USAG steps up its game with regard to coaching practices and communication if the sport wants to continue to thrive. Post after post about lack of communication from gyms from everything regarding fees, level assignments, injury protocols. There are so many sports for kids, and few choose gymnastics(especially boys). After the abuse scandals it seems like many parents will think twice before putting a kid in gymnastics unless there is way more transparency from everything to cost, progress, coaching practices.

It seems like before the whole Nasser scandal, gyms were much less customer attuned. It was give us your money and your children and don’t question us if your kid has talent. This mentality was a disaster for hundreds of gymnasts. Unless there is a change toward transparency and parental involvement, the sport will see fewer athletes and so many kids who would enjoy the sport and be average athletes will either not participate or drop out in early levels.

The question should be , why isn’t she already on the list . Because outing people who are not on the list is going to result in more legal action . And worse potentially outing someone who has done nothing . Because let me tell you , the public are perceiving guilt first . Now Maggie May be guilty , but what about the well known coaches who were put on the list and then taken off? What do they get ? Money ? Apology? Do you ever hear about the coaches who are off the list ? No.... that’s a huge problem . How would you like to be Dan W from Arizona and get out on the list for everyone to see and then taken off quietly .... no one cares but he sure does and the rest of us are scared ....

It is such a small percentage of claims that actually go under investigation and then turn out to be false, compared to the hundreds of REAL and legitimate claims. I'm sorry but this is a dumb argument. For this to actually go under investigation, there had to have been a trail of allegations that were recorded and reported. I'd rather Dan W from Arizona be on the investigation list, and it turn out to be false, than for John Geddert go unreported for years and years and ruin many childhoods. The system isn't perfect, but it never will be perfect if people continue to not report things (big or small) for fear of being called a liar. By saying this shouldn't be on news reports (when she is an Olympic coach and idolized), is saying you don't believe the families that have already come forward. How is it any different than a trial in court? The jury decides the verdict....many people are on trial and then found innocent. How is this any different? We deserve a right to see who is under investigation, and for what.

It is such a small percentage of claims that actually go under investigation and then turn out to be false, compared to the hundreds of REAL and legitimate claims. I'm sorry but this is a dumb argument. For this to actually go under investigation, there had to have been a trail of allegations that were recorded and reported. I'd rather Dan W from Arizona be on the investigation list, and it turn out to be false, than for John Geddert go unreported for years and years and ruin many childhoods. The system isn't perfect, but it never will be perfect if people continue to not report things (big or small) for fear of being called a liar. By saying this shouldn't be on news reports (when she is an Olympic coach and idolized), is saying you don't believe the families that have already come forward. How is it any different than a trial in court? The jury decides the verdict....many people are on trial and then found innocent. How is this any different? We deserve a right to see who is under investigation, and for what.
I think I was pretty clear , your making things up now .....

It’s not a rumor ..... Sadly safesport is a highly disorganized organization . And yes they spend time on head scratching incidents and ignore much more important issues . However, everyone deserves a little due process prior to being outed in the media ...
So let me get this straight...They will make a phone call over complete nonsense, but these huge multiperson abuse complaints that are legitimate just go into a black hole or else sit in a box somewhere collecting dust? That’s horrible.

So let me get this straight...They will make a phone call over complete nonsense, but these huge multiperson abuse complaints that are legitimate just go into a black hole or else sit in a box somewhere collecting dust? That’s horrible.
Yes correct . The point I am making is this organization (both safesport and USAG). Has a proven track record of failure . Including
1)putting the wrong people on the list and then quietly taking them off.
2) apparently ignoring Nassar child molesters and allowing them to continue to molest , but don’t make a kid do too Many pushups or rope climbs.
3) ignoring legitimate complaints because they are high profile people, but suspend everyone else and don’t follow up ...just leaving them on the list .... until they spend money to clear themselves ...
5) calling on stupid complaints ... but make our 18 year old athletes take a sefesport course right before regionals or they don’t get to go to nationals ....
etc...
So my point is this organization lakes the ability to properly investigate anything. It’s bad enough that two people I know were put on the list (one was over a year) and then cleared . Just think about that for a second .... and now USAG is apparently leaking emails ? ( Unless I read it wrong ). So my fear is the same organization that just can’t get it right is going to publicize all complaints .... bogus or not ..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back