Parents Shortest or extremely short 10.0 start value level 8 beam routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Calimama31

Proud Parent
Hi, I’m new here :)
my daughter is 9 years old and is going to compete level 8 in spring. She is fairly good at beam, got a couple 9.5s as and 8 year old in level 7, competed a Bhs bhs series last year...but she gets very nervous for this event! For fun, she asked me what is the shortest possible level 8 routine with a 10.0 or at least above 9.9 SV?
I don’t know, I imagine it involves competing at bhs-blo or a bhs- back tuck? Anyone know? :)
I Saw thread where someone had posted a one tumbling pass level 10 routine ...kind of fun to think about!

Shortest routine with 10 sv and no composition deductions(saltos on beam aren’t necessary at level 8):

Press handstand mount
BHS/BHS series
Split jump/straddle jump
Full turn
Roundoff/back tuck dismount

Shortest routine with 10 sv and no composition deductions(saltos on beam aren’t necessary at level 8):

Press handstand mount
BHS/BHS series
Split jump/straddle jump
Full turn
Roundoff/back tuck dismount
Cool, thanks! The 8s on our team last year competed bhs-bhs AND a back tuck so I thought it was necessary. If that’s common in our area... could you get a “not up to level” deduction?

Cool, thanks! The 8s on our team last year competed bhs-bhs AND a back tuck so I thought it was necessary. If that’s common in our area... could you get a “not up to level” deduction?
Technically only need a series with two B flight skills and 2 more acro skills(at least one a B) for no up to level acro deductions at level 8. Gymnasts doing a back tuck are using it for one of their additional acro skills, but it’s more difficult than necessary. But it could be a coach/gym requirement.

You still have a 10.0 start value if you don’t have the up to level skills. The up to level requirements are a deduction from the score (the same as deducting for bent knees). They are not a deduction from the start value.

My dd had a very short routine last year and consistently scored very well. Winning state too.

Mount
pose, pose, pose lol :)
Front walkover
Full turn
Switch leg split leap
180 center jump (?), little jump, little jump
BHS BHS BT dismount

+ lots of additional poses lol

The judges seemed to like the routine and I think her dismount combination was rewarded highly as well

My dd had a very short routine last year and consistently scored very well. Winning state too.

Mount
pose, pose, pose lol :)
Front walkover
Full turn
Switch leg split leap
180 center jump (?), little jump, little jump
BHS BHS BT dismount

+ lots of additional poses lol

The judges seemed to like the routine and I think her dismount combination was rewarded highly as well

Thank you! Pose pose pose lol

Mine will have the following as skills:

Bwo bhs
Beat jump split 3/4 turn
Switch leap switch
Full turn
Some excessive posing
Round off back layout dismount

I think that’s it. Does that meet requirements?

I know they aren’t the “typical” for level 8 but she has some back tumbling on beam fears.

Bwo bhs
Beat jump split 3/4 turn
Switch leap switch
Full turn
Some excessive posing

I know they aren’t the “typical” for level 8 but she has some back tumbling on beam fears.
I don’t know, I think it does... some people say the judges prefer a bhs bhs but that is not the requirement, so it might be certain judges or certain areas, but I will be awaiting a reply from someone who knows better! My daughter doesn’t like (ok hates!) roundoffs and her front stuff isn’t her strong suit because her shoulders/back aren’t the most flexible in the gym, but she’s working front walkovers, otherwise she may just do a front dismount and take the half tenth deduction for only having front or side tumbling in the dismount. In level 7 she did a bhs bhs series and a switch cartwheel bt dismount, which was super cute but her choreographer thinks the judges might not like the cartwheel in L 8? Soo complicated! guess there’s lots of options that’s why they call it optionals.
Good luck!

Bwo bhs
Beat jump split 3/4 turn
Switch leap switch
Full turn
Some excessive posing

It meets all special requirements and has all required elements. But because of the series choice will incur 0.15 in composition deductions. This deduction is now spelled out in the code and no longer up to judges discretion. Those are deducted off the start value along with execution and amplitude deductions.

It meets all special requirements and has all required elements. But because of the series choice will incur 0.15 in composition deductions. This deduction is now spelled out in the code and no longer up to judges discretion. Those are deducted off the start value along with execution and amplitude deductions.
The start value isn’t affected by compositional deductions.

I am told. As in the way our coach explained it to us at our recent parent meeting.

Re BWO-BHS vs BHS-BHS

Since the BHS BHS is typical, then BWO-BHS the judge may use the not up to level deduction.

So both routines performed extremely well, the BHS-BHS would score higher. A well performed BWO-BHS would out score a sloppy BHS BHS

And I could be wrong, which wouldn't be a reach. lol

The start value isn’t affected by compositional deductions.
I didn’t say(or at least didn’t mean) start value would be affected. I meant composition deductions are taken off(deducted from would have been better) the start value(along with executions and amplitude deductions etc). This is how you determine the final score. I should have added that part.

I am told. As in the way our coach explained it to us at our recent parent meeting.

Re BWO-BHS vs BHS-BHS

Since the BHS BHS is typical, then BWO-BHS the judge may use the not up to level deduction.

So both routines performed extremely well, the BHS-BHS would score higher. A well performed BWO-BHS would out score a sloppy BHS BHS

And I could be wrong, which wouldn't be a reach. lol
Only thing I would quibble with is the “judge may use” part. It is spelled out in the code, so a judge not taking it is not following the rules. Well performed but less difficult outscoring more difficult but sloppy I agree.

Ok what about this one:

Get on beam some easy way
Bhs+bhs series
Full turn
Cartwheel
Split jump +straddle jump
Press to handstand step down +back tuck dismount

I think this is all the requirements but
Is that dismount allowed?
What we are doing now is coming up with ways to avoid a round off which my daughter really hates... we’re in a small town and her beam coach is a compulsory coach so they are coming olio with their own routines to be checked later by the choreographer :) my daughter also has a back tuck and switchleap on beam but it doesn’t seem to be nessary. She doesn’t like bhs double downs or roundoffs at all, and her front walkovers are not the best. Her presses are very good.

Ok what about this one:

Get on beam some easy way
Bhs+bhs series
Full turn
Cartwheel
Split jump +straddle jump
Press to handstand step down +back tuck dismount

I think this is all the requirements but
Is that dismount allowed?
What we are doing now is coming up with ways to avoid a round off which my daughter really hates... we’re in a small town and her beam coach is a compulsory coach so they are coming olio with their own routines to be checked later by the choreographer :) my daughter also has a back tuck and switchleap on beam but it doesn’t seem to be nessary. She doesn’t like bhs double downs or roundoffs at all, and her front walkovers are not the best. Her presses are very good.
IF the press to handstand step down is considered a B Acro, then she would be good on acro... and if it is AND is directly connected to the Back Tuck, then she would be good on the dismount too. If the press handstand is NOT a B acro, then she would lose 0.10 for acro not up to level AND another 0.10 for dismount not up to level.
She would have a 0.05 not up to level deduction for her "dance" unless she adds an additional jump / leap that is at least an A.

This is good. And yes, press handstand is a B non flight acro just like front walkover. And dance is fine, 2 B’s and 1 A.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back