Parents On level routines or tougher routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
I was thinking... my daughters gym seems to have their gymnast do tougher than required skills for their levels. Which in some levels those types of routines will score better, but i feel level 9's judging isn't conducive to girls doing harder routines. It seems like the gyms that have their girls go in with simplified and clean routines seems to score better. Which can be very frustrating, both for the gymnast and us parents... My daughter will be repeating level 9 this year because the coaches think theres no reason for the younger ones to rush to 10 and be at level 10 for 7 years.. So instead they will repeat them. My daughter has level 10 skills to compete 10, except vault she is still working on getting her full. So currently doing a layout. My feelings are all over the place, while my daughter could care less. ha ha..

It’s always a delicate balance between doing an easier clean routine and a more difficult one that might have more errors. I just let my kid decide what he wants. Some events he will definitely push the envelope because he loves doing the skill, even if it’s not perfect. On events he’s less confident on, he’s more conservative.
And yes, there’s lots of stuff they do in practice that are more difficult than what is in their routines. A good gym is always up training.

Many coaches believe that once you are in upper optionals, the goal isn't necessarily scoring well in all levels - it's scoring well in L10. That can mean having the girls do harder routines to provide more competition experience so that they are confident with the skills at the next level. The only concerns I have with this is that the girls are having to throw those bigger skills on competition surfaces for longer than they normally would if they competed at level".

I should also add that in some regions, you really need to be above level to be competitive so this may be the reason why your coaches are pushing.

I guess i just can't get a hold on why do 9 again, but she is happy and that is what the coaches want so i need to get a handle on my own feelings! LOL!
She will still have 6 years in Level 10. If the plan is college, then that more than enough years at that level. Let her enjoy some increased scoring through a second year of L9, increased confidence going into L10. Spending an extra year in L9 will also give her more "nationals" experience and a greater chance of making nationals when she does get to L10.

In Aus over the years they have decreased the skills needed for levels. Allowing more girls to achieve higher levels. Our coaches uptrain and prefer less competitions in order to uptrain skills. Would rather spend time on skill season then continuous comp seasons where they just do their routines in the gym. There’s no realistic goal to be able to achieve Olympic level so we aim to achieve as many skills as they can conquer in their time from 7-10. By the time they are in 9 and 10 there’s no real purpose to just train the minimal skills needed to have a well scoring competition rather going to a comp to show off a new exciting skill they spent so many years trying to achieve. I like that idea much rather than going to make sure the judges score well with a clean cut routine. It’s about the effort and time to show off exactly how much you have learnt and how experienced the coaches are will allow that gymnast to continue to gain skills well needed over the minimal requirements. There’s lots of gyms that teach minimal requirements because the coaches don’t have the knowledge to go past that even at level 10.

She will still have 6 years in Level 10. If the plan is college, then that more than enough years at that level. Let her enjoy some increased scoring through a second year of L9, increased confidence going into L10. Spending an extra year in L9 will also give her more "nationals" experience and a greater chance of making nationals when she does get to L10.
Wait. How old is she if she'll have 6 years in L10?! From where I'm sitting in the back hills of Region 2, that sounds like she must be VERY young to be taking on upper optionals. I know we take it easier than other regions, but I didn't realize we took it THAT much easier. But if she is that young, for heaven's sake just enjoy her joy.

Wait. How old is she if she'll have 6 years in L10?! From where I'm sitting in the back hills of Region 2, that sounds like she must be VERY young to be taking on upper optionals. I know we take it easier than other regions, but I didn't realize we took it THAT much easier. But if she is that young, for heaven's sake just enjoy her joy.

The OP said the gym is having her repeat 9 so she doesn’t have 7 years of level 10 ahead of her. So, on can only assume she is 11ish? Our gym does the same thing. We have a 10 year-old second year-level 9, and a couple other 9-10 year-old level 9s. We also gave kids like my daughter who is a 10 year-old level 6! It’s just very individualized. Region 5 if that matters.

OP, I agree with the others and your gym. No reason at all to rush to level 10 at that young of an age. She has plenty of time.

Congrats to your DD on making it this far.

From what I’m seeing the more “bare minimum ” level 9 & Level 10 routines used to be a thing a few years ago but this has recently changed. They no longer reward bare minimum routines the same as the gymnasts who safely go all out. For example last year my DD’s series was a flic lay while some safely did 3 series. 3 series scored better as it should. The same for bars, some girls did 2 releases or 1 release with front giants and scored better as they should. I want to see the best safely competed gymnastics out there. I want DD to compete against the best girls with the best skills. I also want it to be a smooth transition from Level 9 to level 10. I’m in favor of competing your best skills and not bare minimum at this level.

My DD is repeating Level 9 also and will be doing a flic lay lay and has added a toe up.

We are excited to see what this year brings. Look at this as a “perfecting year” a time to build confidence and character.

Good luck to you and your DD it’s going to be a fun season.

She is 11. She is also training hopes / elite route. So she will not only be doing level 9 meets, but also qualifiers with upgraded routines.

From what I’m seeing the more “bare minimum ” level 9 & Level 10 routines used to be a thing a few years ago but this has recently changed. They no longer reward bare minimum routines the same as the gymnasts who safely go all out. For example last year my DD’s series was a flic lay while some safely did 3 series. 3 series scored better as it should. The same for bars, some girls did 2 releases or 1 release with front giants and scored better as they should. I want to see the best safely competed gymnastics out there. I want DD to compete against the best girls with the best skills. I also want it to be a smooth transition from Level 9 to level 10. I’m in favor of competing your best skills and not bare minimum at this level.

My DD is repeating Level 9 also and will be doing a flic lay lay and has added a toe up.

We are excited to see what this year brings. Look at this as a “perfecting year” a time to build confidence and character.

This past season we saw girls doing not exactly bare minimum routines, because they were still 10.0 start values.. and my daughters team was competing equivalent to level 10 routines and getting beat out by the other routines. I am all for harder routines, i am trying to look at it in a way that it will make them all that much better come level 10.. i think ? LOL!
Good luck to your daughter! And I am going to look at it as a good thing like you said, as a perfecting year!

Wouldn’t those that did bare minimum just be weeded out by the time they get to state, regionals, & nationals.
L9 is hard and while it’s awesome there’s kids throwing higher skills at L9 meets - I give full credit to every kid competing L9 even if they are doing only what’s required.

Wouldn’t those that did bare minimum just be weeded out by the time they get to state, regionals, & nationals.
L9 is hard and while it’s awesome there’s kids throwing higher skills at L9 meets - I give full credit to every kid competing L9 even if they are doing only what’s required.
I wrote that they were 10.0 start values, so not that it is bad to do minimum routines. It is gym preference to have some teams do above and beyond what is required and some do exactly what they need to. I don't know which is best except that it gives girls doing tougher routines more practice for level 10. Both are different strategies. I also never said i don't give credit to any child competing level 9 ( or any level for that matter), i was just wondering what is a better strategic move.

I wrote that they were 10.0 start values, so not that it is bad to do minimum routines. It is gym preference to have some teams do above and beyond what is required and some do exactly what they need to. I don't know which is best except that it gives girls doing tougher routines more practice for level 10. Both are different strategies. I also never said i don't give credit to any child competing level 9 ( or any level for that matter), i was just wondering what is a better strategic move.
Scoring wise at competitions a clean cut routine would score better than a failed attempt. However if the higher skills are perfected then the higher skills would score better. However what gyms can prefer is either continuing to increase and reach higher skills and not stress about scores or spend more time just on routines and perfecting those in the gym in order to achieve perfect scores. It really depends on the gym and if their preference is perfecting scores with minimal skill requirements or uptraining and teaching gymnasts more. One is neither better than the other it just achieves different goals

i was just wondering what is a better strategic move.

Determining what the "best strategy" is - for any endeavor - involving understanding the goals and balancing them. There's no one strategy for L9 because different gymnasts have different goals. One young L9 who is aiming elite might chose one strategy (throw hardest skills, who cares about scores), another who is hoping to attract attention from top 10 D1 programs as a L10 might chose another strategy (throw above "up to level" for competition experience), and an older L9 whose "career peak" would be qualifying for Easterns/Westerns might chose another ("up to the level" or even slightly below a 10.0 start value or with an "up to the level" deduction in order to minimize deductions).

It's also possible for the "season strategy" to involve a combination of strategies: what's more important at Nearest City Invitational, a bars medal or trying to connect the toe hand and the Pak? what's more important at Regionals, qualifying for Easterns/Westerns or trying to connect the toe hand and the Pak?

The "best strategy" can also depend on the athlete and what helps her perform her best.

If she made Westerns/Easterns last year, I'd still expect her to move up and focus on Hopes/Elite at that age. If she didn't make Westerns/Easterns, and she still has 7 possible years of level 10, then focus on Hopes for now, but my daughter did a layout vault one year and qualified to JO's (she was injured and could not do a harder vault that year but scored in the low 9's with it). I think your daughter should do what she wants to do. I wouldn't repeat a level if she's successful at it the year prior, just my personal opinion.

A 3 series on level 9?! A flic lay is now considered bare minimum for 9? Geeeeezzz. :p:p Disclaimer: No plans for elite. Just aiming for solid level 10 eventually. It gets harder and harder to be "up to level" every year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back