Parents On level routines or tougher routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would focus on the words safe and successful. Which is a decision and standard the coaches know and set. (Safe equals know ........ successful equals standard ). This is all coaching . I have had parents sit and beg me to let their DD go to level (blank) because their DD told them they have skill x. What they don’t know is it’s not ready to do safely. I have this conversation more than I care too. It’s hard to explain to parent that yes they did it but they also almost died on 100
Other tries but we’re kept safe by the spotter . In other words let the coaches make these decisions . Particularly in optionals. Hope that helps

I would focus on the words safe and successful. Which is a decision and standard the coaches know and set. (Safe equals know ........ successful equals standard ). This is all coaching . I have had parents sit and beg me to let their DD go to level (blank) because their DD told them they have skill x. What they don’t know is it’s not ready to do safely. I have this conversation more than I care too. It’s hard to explain to parent that yes they did it but they also almost died on 100
Other tries but we’re kept safe by the spotter . In other words let the coaches make these decisions . Particularly in optionals. Hope that helps
This made me chuckle a bit on the almost died on a 100! I absolutely agree with you and i personally would never try and convince a coach that they need to put my daughter in any level! Thank you for your feedback!

A 3 series on level 9?! A flic lay is now considered bare minimum for 9? Geeeeezzz. :p:p Disclaimer: No plans for elite. Just aiming for solid level 10 eventually. It gets harder and harder to be "up to level" every year!

It definitely gets harder and harder to be up to level especially as a Level 10 where the top gymnasts will have 10.1 start values. I totally get wanting to be a solid Level 10. We are in a tough Region where “solid” still may not get you to Nationals. Even the solid girls are competing 3 series, or both aerials, 1.5 -2 dismounts and a loaded routine in between.

and I feel you on flic lays....most of our Level 8’s are competing those lol

good luck to your girl she can do it

It definitely gets harder and harder to be up to level especially as a Level 10 where the top gymnasts will have 10.1 start values. I totally get wanting to be a solid Level 10. We are in a tough Region where “solid” still may not get you to Nationals. Even the solid girls are competing 3 series, or both aerials, 1.5 -2 dismounts and a loaded routine in between.

and I feel you on flic lays....most of our Level 8’s are competing those lol

good luck to your girl she can do it
I believe you! You’re right. It’s pretty standard now for level 8’s to do that series. Our state is disappointingly bottom of the barrel for level 9/10 even though we’ve got a top college program over here. It’s maddening. We don’t have enough coaches and the ones we have either aren’t invested enough or don’t want to update their coaching to get with how competitive things have gotten to maximize our girls’ potential.

There is no “10.1” start value. USAG has stressed that over and over. It’s a 10.00 with a +.1 added to the final score if they meet all the requirements. No one will score over a 10.00. We need to be careful how that’s stated, especially for newer people who aren’t familiar with everything. It’s a question on the Level 10 judging exam:m. If a gymnast meets all special requirements, has no deductions, and has .6 connective and difficulty bonus and competes an E skill, what is her final score? The answer is 10.00. There is also a question about what is the highest score a gymnast can score? 10.00 is the answer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back