WAG Floor Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NJfanz

Proud Parent
We paid a choreographer for a floor routine, and found our own music. My daughter competed it for two seasons, and we have now left the gym because it is unsafe. Tonight we found out the coaches have given the routine to another girl. Is this common? She really loved the routine and felt it was hers. Do I have any right to tell them not to use it?

They gave the routine or the music? It’s pretty common for gyms to reuse music, but I’m not sure how they could give the routine to someone else, especially if you paid a choreographer.

Our gym passes down music and routines. The routine is always taught by the gymnast who had it most recently. We very often have former gymnasts come back to teach their routines to whomever is getting it. The gymnast is usually paid $50-$100 for teaching the choreography.

Most gym music companies give the license to the purchaser and it's not intended to be passed around, even though I know that's common. If your daughter wishes to keep using the music, send them an email or letter pointing out the licensing violation and insist they cease using music you possess the license to. As for choreo, while it's pretty crappy to steal it, I doubt you or the choreographer has any legal right to insist they cease using it.

My daughter had a routine that we paid a choreographer for that we used for two years. We were asked if someone else could use it. We said yes because I didn't care and she wasn't going to compete it again. I would have been annoyed if we hadn't been asked.

Same thing happened with us... we paid for the music and the choreography with a former gym. After my daughter switched gyms, we only found out that they "reused" both with a new gymnast when we went to compete at a High School meet. My daughter was surprised, but so were a ton of other gymnast there (since my daughter had used the music and routine for a previous high school season). The gymnast it was passed on to found out it had been my daughter's and felt so awkward that she wouldn't even talk to my daughter the entire season (we see the other high school teams quite often during the high school season)!

It would depend on what you signed up for at the gym.

Technically since you paid it should be yours. And there is unlikely anything you will be able to do about it. I mean how much time and money do you want to spend trying to force them to stop.

Send them an email. Hope for the unlikely best. Then move on.

I would be pissed

six of us paid $850 each for a Choreographer to come and make a routine as well as cut the music he picked. If I see anyone with that music or routine I’m getting at least half my money back. So yes you should say something, if they paid for a recycled routine thinking it was an original they should be as mad as you.

I would be pissed

six of us paid $850 each for a Choreographer to come and make a routine as well as cut the music he picked. If I see anyone with that music or routine I’m getting at least half my money back. So yes you should say something, if they paid for a recycled routine thinking it was an original they should be as mad as you.
$850 for choreography?? That is insane.

I would be pissed

Do you have anything in writing that says, only you have rights to the music/routine? Do you know it exactly what you paid for?

We are on our third routine. We paid for the right to use the music. We are not the sole proprietors of the music. A hundred or thousands of other people could purchase the rights to use it. We paid for the coreographers time and experience. We have no “exclusive rights” to that routine. We leave the gym, we can take the music we purchased it. And they can’t stop us from using the routine. And we can’t stop them from using the routine provided whoever wanted to use it purchased the right to use the music.

Do you have anything in writing that says, only you have rights to the music/routine? Do you know it exactly what you paid for?

We are on our third routine. We paid for the right to use the music. We are not the sole proprietors of the music. A hundred or thousands of other people could purchase the rights to use it. We paid for the coreographers time and experience. We have no “exclusive rights” to that routine. We leave the gym they can’t stop us from using the routine and we can’t stop them from using the routine provided whoever wanted to use it purchased the right to use the music.
Those were my questions as well. What's to stop someone from seeing a routine on youtube and copying it? I know of JO gymnasts who take their routines from college gymnasts. They see it, they like it and they learn it.

Those were my questions as well. What's to stop someone from seeing a routine on youtube and copying it? I know of JO gymnasts who take their routines from college gymnasts. They see it, they like it and they learn it.
Well from the music/legal stand point they should purchase it.

Our gym lets the girls pick their music.And they are crystal clear we should purchase it.. Does everyone? I have no idea. But I’m pretty sure the composers/arrangers/artistsaren’t looking to sue a little kid in local JO gymnastics for theft.

Coreography, is not “owned” by anyone at our gym. In other words, nothing in writing beyond paying for the persons time. Common courtesy is 2 kids don’t have the same music or routine.

We are on our third routine. We paid for the right to use the music. We are not the sole proprietors of the music. A hundred or thousands of other people could purchase the rights to use it. We paid for the coreographers time and experience. We have no “exclusive rights” to that routine. We leave the gym, we can take the music we purchased it. And they can’t stop us from using the routine. And we can’t stop them from using the routine provided whoever wanted to use it purchased the right to use the music.
No just was told we will be the only ones to ever have her floor routine. As far as the music in these two years i better not hear it or i better get half my money back

$850 was our portion of his flight, hotel, and rental, music (and cutting the music) and the routine. Also he comes back next week for touch up and next year for upgrades

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back