Parents Humeral (shoulder) head growth plate fracture

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
MRI results just back. My 13 yo has a fracture in the growth plate of her shoulder. Does anyone have recovery experience with this? Competition season is late January and wondering if any stories can inform her possibilities. Thank you!

My daughter's BFF had this last year in the summer. She wasn't supposed to lift her arms up over her head. By the January she was able to compete vault, but no bars until the end of the season. Now the other shoulder is starting to show signs that she may have the same problem.

My daughter just recovered from this and started back at practice this week. She's 9 and it was an acute injury that caused some distraction of the growth plate. She took 4 weeks off from any swinging or weight bearing on the arms and then when she was totally pain free was released to go back. She's pretty weak after this and having some trouble getting her giants and free hip-handstands back but with time, hopefully will be fine.

At 13, if she has already started her period, she would be a little slower to heal but assuming her injury is due to one acute event, I would assume that it could take about 4-6 weeks of no weight bearing or swinging and then build back when pain is gone.

My daughter just recovered from this and started back at practice this week. She's 9 and it was an acute injury that caused some distraction of the growth plate. She took 4 weeks off from any swinging or weight bearing on the arms and then when she was totally pain free was released to go back. She's pretty weak after this and having some trouble getting her giants and free hip-handstands back but with time, hopefully will be fine.

At 13, if she has already started her period, she would be a little slower to heal but assuming her injury is due to one acute event, I would assume that it could take about 4-6 weeks of no weight bearing or swinging and then build back when pain is gone.
Thank you CuriousCate! I'm so sorry you are dealing with the same thing. I just read your initial injury story. My DD did this three weeks ago, so is right there with your daughter. We were just slow to MRI so just got the diagnosis. She's already not used the arm for three weeks and we see the Dr. tomorrow. Glad your girl is already back trying stuff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back