Compulsory 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
Hi all

We have just had the info about next year's training, and have been told that my daughters hours are going up considerably (to 21/week), with the idea of working towards compulsory 3 in 2021! She'll be a year out of age by then, but her birthday is very late in the year, and to try to be ready by 2020 would have been pretty stressful I think, but hopefully after a year's extra training, she will feel much more confident. She will be the first from our club to attempt it, so I'm torn between being proud and being nervous! She is very excited - she is so happy to be given the opportunity!

Partly I just wanted to share our excitement! And partly - is there anything we should know or consider about doing so many hours? Or about attempting compulsory 3? I know that out of age don't get a national final - that's ok, she's just trying to pass it! Thanks!

Annikins - Congratulations to your daughter. I am sure she will love it. Organisation is key for the extra hours especially if you aren't close to the gym.

Annikins - Congratulations to your daughter. I am sure she will love it. Organisation is key for the extra hours especially if you aren't close to the gym.
Thank you! We are nearly an hour away, and I have another child with her own activities, but hopefully we can make it work!

That is brilliant! Well done and good luck!
Thank you! It's kind of new ground for everyone involved, but hopefully it will work out!

I have no idea what compulsory three means but congrats! Now fill us Americans in on what it is, lol

I'm not sure whether you really want to understand the British system ;-)

Compulsory grades is the pathway for our elite gymnasts - 4,3,2,1 then British Championships. There are other pathways, but compulsory girls are those identified as very talented and expected to make it as a top gymnast.

Congratulations - and enjoy the ride!

I have no idea what compulsory three means but congrats! Now fill us Americans in on what it is, lol
Hi! Sorry! Yes, as explained above, it's the first of the competitions you need to get a pass mark in to become a 'top' gymnast in Britain. If you can pass compulsory 3, and then 2 and 1, you can go to the British Championships. It's not at all easy, but you have to start somewhere and give it a try! Not that many girls are even entered into it as it's so hard...maybe 100 in the country each year?

There are other competitions available to other gymnasts of course, which is what my daughter has been doing so far, but they almost certainly won't lead to the British Championships/British squad. This theoretically could (although it's a long road still, with no guarantees - they are hard to pass!)

I'd say a comparison is compulsory gymnasts are equivalent to TOPS/HOPES. They're the one's expected to make elite. They do particular competitions where skills and conditioning are set by age, leading to junior elite.

Big difference in the UK is though if you *don't* do the compulsory stream it is very, very difficult, almost impossible, to reach elite by a different pathway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back