WAG USAG enforcing leotard policy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

talk about cultural differences. why can not anyone just wear whatever? a perv will always think about sexualising your kid if heshe sees it, no matter what she or he is currently wearing. "modesty" is just another male way of controlling women's bodies. please do not enforce these ideas apon children. just let them pick a leo they like and that's that. imo this is a very, very, very conservative us-american debate. if you do not like high cut leos do not buy them.

talk about cultural differences. why can not anyone just wear whatever? a perv will always think about sexualising your kid if heshe sees it, no matter what she or he is currently wearing. "modesty" is just another male way of controlling women's bodies. please do not enforce these ideas apon children. just let them pick a leo they like and that's that. imo this is a very, very, very conservative us-american debate. if you do not like high cut leos do not buy them.

Rarely do parents or athletes have input on the competitive leotards that their gymnasts wear. I would argue the opposite, putting children in overtly revealing leotards that don’t allow for hidden undergarments or often any undergarments at all, is a way of controlling the athletes and encouraging others to look at their skin instead of their skills. Oftentimes, ( but not always) a male head coach is making this decision for young female gymnasts. Male gymnasts are not expected to show their behinds in order to lengthen their line, they wear pants or shorts.

One of the only America athletes that has control over her leotards is Simone Biles because she is essentially her coaches boss.

Also, please use capItal letters in your posts. It makes them much easier to read.

I agree completely, but like txgymfan said, the athletes don’t get a choice. It’s a team uniform and they have to wear it whether or not it makes them uncomfortable. All the celebration around Katelyn Ohashi last year was incredible and so deserved. I wish she didn’t have to accomplish such amazing feats in a leo that was distractingly high cut. She didn’t get to choose, though. And that’s the point.

What bothers me about competition leos is that they are incredibly impractical once a girl is over about age 11. Newsflash for USAG: after puberty females get their period! Not every young girl with her period is immediately comfortable using tampons. Also, the female body develops breasts, and having to buy a special bra that doesn't actually offer much support, but does have invisible straps that won't cause the gymnast to get a deduction because they can be seen in the back is ridiculous. Here's a radical idea USAG- if you're going to, with a straight face, refer to this sport as "Women's Artistic Gymnastics", why not allow competition wear that young women can comfortably compete in, kind of like they do in Men's Artistic Gymnastics? It could still be sparkly and pretty, but girls/women could compete in a long sleeve or short sleeve tank (make it a step in like the boys use so no worries about it riding up) along with bar shorts.

I'm starting the new year off feeling rant-y. ;)

There probably is some cultural base, I’m sure. I think fashion is pretty comfort based in the U.S. right now. Leggings, comfortable athletic wear is what is in fashion, even for teens. I think the leotard in its current form seems archaic compared to what is the norm here. Based on that it seems shorts and/or leggings should be acceptable as part of the uniform and sports bras should be able to show or the uniform should cover them. The uniform should not warrant constant adjustment, as in having to pull material back over your butt. There’s all these stats on kids dropping out in their teen years... wearing an embarrassing, uncomfortable uniform can’t be helpful.

Not just a US thing, Australian’s would be very uncomfortable with young girls wearing a leotard that is so high cut it goes up her bottom and gives her an unsightly wedgie as well.

Sure swimwear is getting skimpier and skimpier but these girls are flipping, splitting, straddling at great speed around the apparatus. When we have Dad’s in the audience watching and kids are dressed like this they say they just don’t know where to look.

Sorry, but no. Modesty is showing respect for yourself and for others. Btw, we parents do not pick the Leo’s they compete in.

Need we say more .....and the front is worse than the back. I doubt these parents can say a peep about it either.

Attachments

• B5D6A8D5-C28D-4D63-B6FD-9E97BB725A80.jpeg
    B5D6A8D5-C28D-4D63-B6FD-9E97BB725A80.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 359
Oh, is it the same one that forced USAG's hand in clarifying the rule to begin with? That figures.

ETA: I just looked it up and that is a compulsary competetion leotard! With very little solid fabric on the front either. While I'd have no problem with a girl picking it to wear herself, making it the uniform is gross. Why?

Not just a US thing, Australian’s would be very uncomfortable with young girls wearing a leotard that is so high cut it goes up her bottom and gives her an unsightly wedgie as well.

Sure swimwear is getting skimpier and skimpier but these girls are flipping, splitting, straddling at great speed around the apparatus. When we have Dad’s in the audience watching and kids are dressed like this they say they just don’t know where to look.

Sorry to pick your post as an example but I'm intrigued by the Australian connection. Sylvia P are the leo makers that have become popular over here in the UK over the last couple of years that seem to be using less and less fabric. And yet I note that some of the leotards are quite low cut at the leg. It got me wondering if that is a cultural thing - the high leg cut is more shocking than the cut away back and mesh fronts?

Funky backs generally are admired by UK gym kids, but some are so complicated that even with a sports bra designed to be on show they just look a crazy mess of straps. Not right or wrong - just aethetically a mess when in practical use.

Sorry to pick your post as an example but I'm intrigued by the Australian connection. Sylvia P are the leo makers that have become popular over here in the UK over the last couple of years that seem to be using less and less fabric. And yet I note that some of the leotards are quite low cut at the leg. It got me wondering if that is a cultural thing - the high leg cut is more shocking than the cut away back and mesh fronts?

Funky backs generally are admired by UK gym kids, but some are so complicated that even with a sports bra designed to be on show they just look a crazy mess of straps. Not right or wrong - just aethetically a mess when in practical use.

Strappy backs are a nightmare as a coach. They often don't fit tight and have gaps. Finger breakers right there if you are supporting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back