Parents Arizona Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

happycamper

Proud Parent
Hi Everyone, I am new here with a question. We are anticipating a move to Arizona this summer (most likely Phoenix area, but also looking at Prescott). By that time, my daughter would be going into her junior year and would be entering her 3rd year as a L10. She's thinking about quitting rather than starting at a new gym with only 2 years to go. She has seen girls get ignored in this sport as they "age out" and she would rather quit on a positive then go to a new gym and find they are not all that invested in her. Ironically I had to change gyms due to a move the same year/same level when I was a gymnasts. It was a difficult experience for me so I really get what she is saying. I never felt accepted by my new gym and ended up quitting after a year. In that year, I never connected with my new coaches and teammates.

I'd love to hear from Arizona parents about their experiences at the gyms we might consider. Maybe if there is gym out there with very caring coaches she might have a different experience than I did. I would also like to know about the quality of coaching at these gyms. TIA

I live in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and am gym parent/coach/judge. Feel free to PM me - would be happy to give you my thoughts!

To PM, click on the name and click “start a conversation“. Good luck to your DD and family with the move. Hopefully a new gym will be a welcoming place for her to finish her High School career. Some of our athletes have been enjoying college club gym as a fun way to stay in the sport too.

To PM, click on the name and click “start a conversation“. Good luck to your DD and family with the move. Hopefully a new gym will be a welcoming place for her to finish her High School career. Some of our athletes have been enjoying college club gym as a fun way to stay in the sport too.
Thank you, I was able to PM! I forgot about club gyms, so thanks for that reminder. Up until last year all she ever talked about was pursuing a gym scholarship. Now she is telling me she's not sure if she actually wants to do 4 years of NCAA. She's sick of dealing with injuries and also afraid of getting college coaches she doesn't trust. Recently she has gone back and forth talking about quitting after we move, to quitting after high school, to sticking with it and competing in college (and then getting frustrated that she actually has to make these decisions because I can't make them for her!).

I think it will widely depend on the area that you live in. PHX is large and spread out. Prescott not so much and only one gym there that is good. Please feel free to PM as well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back