Parents Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sid

Proud Parent
At one of our meets last spring my daughter was warming up for beam. She was doing her back handspring which she has had for most of the season. While warming up on beam she couldn’t land her back handspring. The coach yelled at her, telling her that if she doesn’t land her back handspring. They will scratch her from that event. Is that the right way to coach?

In my opinion if she can compete the even safely then she should be able to compete it--but different gyms have different rules. Also, in general I dont think coaches should "threaten" girls. If she could safely do the backhandspring she just wasnt sticking it I think she should have been allowed to compete. If the backhandspring was very bad and the coach was worried she could get hurt attempting it in the meet they should have explained that to her in a better way. Our coaches have the girls practice multiple skills that fill the requirement so if the BHS is not quite there they can do something else instead so that day of if they need to make a substitution they can. She is optional though not sure if your gymnast is optional or level 5.

My girls have a pretty tough coach. Her standards are high for behavior and effort. I have never heard her yell, and I've never heard stories of her yelling. She's particularly gentle at a meet where nerves are already high, and our gym's philosophy is that time is for encouragement because the tough coaching/teaching/practice has happened during practice hours.

Not to mention I've seen plenty of girls, including my own daughter, miss every single warm up attempt and then nail it during competition.

If this was a one time thing, hey everyone has a bad moment, but if it's behavior that pops up frequently then I would address it with the head coach.

Thank you!! We are now being bullied by the gym because we went to scout out another gym. This was not known to our gym but someone found out and now we are being harassed for exploring our options. I understand being a hard coach but I think encouragement would be the better option.

As far as I'm concerned the only time a coach should yell at a gymnast is when there's immediate potential for physical harm (i.e. about to run in front of someone tumbling,) when the atmosphere is so loud that they won't be heard otherwise, or when they're yelling in celebration. Yelling at and threatening during warm up at a meet is a perfect way to get a kid rattled and I wouldn't consider it to be an appropriate coaching tactic.

Thank you!! We are now being bullied by the gym because we went to scout out another gym. This was not known to our gym but someone found out and now we are being harassed for exploring our options. I understand being a hard coach but I think encouragement would be the better option.

once my old gym found out we was talking to other gym parents and coaches they kicked up out when the season was over.

At this point it is no longer about finding a new gym. Its just deciding which one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back