MAG Future Stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

FireCaptain611

Proud Parent
Can anyone out there help me with this future stars thing? Our coaches have mentioned it several times, but then told us that at 7, he shouldn't worry about it. Another gum across town is heavily involved in it. I think I understand what the program is/the commitment. Is the program worth the extra time and energy. This boy eats, sleeps, and breathes this sport (like most everyones boys). We're admittedly new to the sport and just want to support him the best we can. Thanks for any insight!

I've found several posts similar to this, but they seem dated (2013, etc.) Curious if anyone has more recent experience. We're Region 1, if that makes any sort of difference.

So, Future stars training is great. It really solidifies basics and helps with progressions.

It is not 100% necessary. Many kids never do future stars, and go on to high level gymnastics careers.

As far as whether it is worth it or not, that depends. I have seen many kids who had added hours to train and compete FS burn out because they were just doing too much too soon. Both of the gyms my son has been at used the training as a basis for everyone, and it was just part of their every day workouts. Everyone benefitted from the training, but not everyone competed at the meets. That is an individual decision.

I woudl say if it does not add extra hours, it is a good idea. At 7, I assume he is a L5, and hopefully not doing many hours a week (at L5, my son was doing 7.5-9 hours a week). Does his gym do it at all? It starts at age 8, so they are partially correct.

He currently goes 14.5 hours a week, plus a private here and there for certain skills. The other gym at L5 goes 9 hours a week and FS would add 3 to that.

He currently goes 14.5 hours a week, plus a private here and there for certain skills. The other gym at L5 goes 9 hours a week and FS would add 3 to that.

That seems like a lot for L5 to me. My son is a 10 and goes 20.

I woudl say if he is happy, progressing, and doing well at his gym, then I would not move just for future stars.

Here is USAG page about it. I do not understand it really, but 8 is the lowest age, (I think it used to be 9? I guess that changed) so it looks like your son could do it next fall- maybe? Not sure how competition age works for FS. https://usagym.org/pages/men/pages/overview_futurestars.html

Sorry I cannot offer more info, my sons did not do FS when they were compulsories, and while our gym did send a couple kids to FS and may still, my impression from back then at least is it was a mixed experience- some good some bad, nothing earthshattering awesome.

We are also Div one and our 5s train 12 hours a week. Optionals train 24.

Here is USAG page about it. I do not understand it really, but 8 is the lowest age, (I think it used to be 9? I guess that changed) so it looks like your son could do it next fall- maybe? Not sure how competition age works for FS. https://usagym.org/pages/men/pages/overview_futurestars.html

Sorry I cannot offer more info, my sons did not do FS when they were compulsories, and while our gym did send a couple kids to FS and may still, my impression from back then at least is it was a mixed experience- some good some bad, nothing earthshattering awesome.

We are also Div one and our 5s train 12 hours a week. Optionals train 24.
Adding to what the above have said -
Competition age is based on Dec 31 of that year. Initial testing some have state and some only have regional happens in September/Oct. Until they are 10 they don't get to come to Colorado Springs, CO and compete against all the other regions. You can goggle the routines for future stars and see this past years group in Colorado Springs. My son will compete next year, age 9. For him, he is the only one in his gym that is part of FS, so he gets an extra hour a week as a private to focus on those routines. Keep in mind, it isn't just the 6 events, it is also strength (on P-bars at this age), flexibility, and a trampoline "event".
As for number of hours, be aware that generally gyms that push a lot of hours early for boys see higher burn out of them, since boys have the ability to compete so much longer than girls. My son is a Lvl 4/5 (depends on the meet) and he practices with his team 6 hours a week. It should probably go up, but it is hard when sleep and homework come into play. We have a small team, so it also works out that the boys get a lot of time with the coach and on the events.

Thank you all for this info! We just want what's best for him, both short and long term. We definitely have LOTS to think about. Good luck to all of your boys this year!!

Can anyone out there help me with this future stars thing? Our coaches have mentioned it several times, but then told us that at 7, he shouldn't worry about it. Another gum across town is heavily involved in it. I think I understand what the program is/the commitment. Is the program worth the extra time and energy. This boy eats, sleeps, and breathes this sport (like most everyones boys). We're admittedly new to the sport and just want to support him the best we can. Thanks for any insight!

I would agree that at his age too many hours leads to burnout. My son started preteam at age 4, competed Level 4 at age 6 and Level 5 at age 7. He was doing 10.5 hours at Level 5 and that was really too much for him. He decided he no longer wanted to do gymnastics at all.

My guys have aged out now, but really enjoyed the future stars program. They didn’t start as young as your son, but would have loved it! They did extra hours for the extra training as there are another nine routines to learn, but the season finishes before the JO season starts. The skills they learned translated very well into the main season routines. The strength, flexibility, and tramp routines were great too. You can always give it a try and if it’s too much you can back down later.

One boy from our gym has been chosen to do future stars, and he is pretty good. But prior to him, the gym didn’t do future stars. We’ve had our share of boys qualify to nationals without future stars, and one did club at OU. It’s a good program (and my little guy wants to do it, was told he would at his first gym, prior to our current one), but it just wasn’t in the cards for my kiddo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back