Some clarification on English Champs qualification scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agree, needs to be sorted out for next year. To change the rules just before Christmas, 3 weeks before entries opened is disrespectful to the gymnasts & clubs. Many of the clubs had their main break, ours was closed for 2 weeks even for squads, only re-opened on Saturday. I think there will be more discussions and rules will change for next year. The entries closed within 5 days of opening (I doubt the organisers where expecting this as they had allowed a 6 week entry period), clearly there is a need to change something whether it is harder entry requirements or a different set-up to accommodate those who want to enter.
For us it is completely frustrating, they did accept the injury timeline but by the time we had a response the entry had filled up so we are now wait list.

There is usually a large drop out for the English so cross your fingers. What did they say about the British?

Sorry, probably another stupid question, but if the in age voluntary 2 is not going ahead now, what happens to the gymnasts who are not on the compulsory route, but are on the in age level route? (I am assuming they scored too high to be allowed to do level 3 out of age instead.) Do they just not have a competition that autumn?

Sorry, probably another stupid question, but if the in age voluntary 2 is not going ahead now, what happens to the gymnasts who are not on the compulsory route, but are on the in age level route? (I am assuming they scored too high to be allowed to do level 3 out of age instead.) Do they just not have a competition that autumn?

Regions will likely include them in either an open age level 2 or espoir fig competition. They won't have a national competition.

National in age voluntary levels are really part of the compulsory elite pathway. You can only go to in age voluntary 4 and 3 without competing at compulsory nationals that year if you make the regional team of 4. Individual qualifiers have to have competed at compulsory nationals that year.

I think they had already made it that you had to have passed compulsory 3 to be able to compete at in age voluntary 2 national finals. So a gymnast competing in age but not doing compulsory grades would not have been able to go anyway.

I was wondering how they would award the combined Level 2 champion without the vol 2 competition but I see in the handbook they are going to use the scores from compulsory 2 and compulsory 1 (May and November). That makes a lot of sense and makes both compulsory 2 and 1 count towards an age groups title.

I think the changes are very sensible.

Regions will likely include them in either an open age level 2 or espoir fig competition. They won't have a national competition.

National in age voluntary levels are really part of the compulsory elite pathway. You can only go to in age voluntary 4 and 3 without competing at compulsory nationals that year if you make the regional team of 4. Individual qualifiers have to have competed at compulsory nationals that year.

I think they had already made it that you had to have passed compulsory 3 to be able to compete at in age voluntary 2 national finals. So a gymnast competing in age but not doing compulsory grades would not have been able to go anyway.

I was wondering how they would award the combined Level 2 champion without the vol 2 competition but I see in the handbook they are going to use the scores from compulsory 2 and compulsory 1 (May and November). That makes a lot of sense and makes both compulsory 2 and 1 count towards an age groups title.

I think the changes are very sensible.

Yes, I think they absolutely make sense for the compulsory route gymnasts, because they don't need to prepare for quite so many competitions in a short space of time. I just wondered, as my daughter has been doing in age levels at regionals (not going to nationals), but not in age compulsories, so she would be left without a competition that autumn otherwise (if she scores too highly in in age level 3 to repeat). I'll check our handbook and see if the level 2 is open age... Unless maybe she can do compulsory 2 in the autumn, after (maybe, hopefully!) doing compulsory 3 in the spring (next year)…if she gets the skills...

Yes, I think they absolutely make sense for the compulsory route gymnasts, because they don't need to prepare for quite so many competitions in a short space of time. I just wondered, as my daughter has been doing in age levels at regionals (not going to nationals), but not in age compulsories, so she would be left without a competition that autumn otherwise (if she scores too highly in in age level 3 to repeat). I'll check our handbook and see if the level 2 is open age... Unless maybe she can do compulsory 2 in the autumn, after (maybe, hopefully!) doing compulsory 3 in the spring (next year)…if she gets the skills...
Hmm, no, this year's is not open age, so if she scores highly in in age voluntary level 3 this year, it will have to be compulsory 2 or nothing next autumn (a long way off yet, I know, but I just realised it!)

Jenny, sorry, another question - you know all the answers, thank you for all the info! I'm wondering what happens if she gets ill or injured just before doing compulsory 3 - I think there is not a retake in the autumn for this? So do you have to wait another year, and be another year out of age?! Such a shame after all the hard work! You can't submit videos or be a 'guest' in another region or something?! Hopefully it won't happen, but you never know!

Hmm, no, this year's is not open age, so if she scores highly in in age voluntary level 3 this year, it will have to be compulsory 2 or nothing next autumn (a long way off yet, I know, but I just realised it!)

Jenny, sorry, another question - you know all the answers, thank you for all the info! I'm wondering what happens if she gets ill or injured just before doing compulsory 3 - I think there is not a retake in the autumn for this? So do you have to wait another year, and be another year out of age?! Such a shame after all the hard work! You can't submit videos or be a 'guest' in another region or something?! Hopefully it won't happen, but you never know!

Gosh that is such a long long way off I wouldn't worry. They will probably add an open 2 by then. There are lots of invitationals she can also do around that time of year so lots of comps to go at.

Most regions do a compulsory 3 retake at the end of the year, often tagged onto a regional levels competition. So she would likely be able to retake then.

Gosh that is such a long long way off I wouldn't worry. They will probably add an open 2 by then. There are lots of invitationals she can also do around that time of year so lots of comps to go at.

Most regions do a compulsory 3 retake at the end of the year, often tagged onto a regional levels competition. So she would likely be able to retake then.
Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back