WAG Gymnix 2020- is the US sending a Junior or Senior Team or Individuals to Gymnix?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twocurlygirlz

Proud Parent
Does anyone know if we are sending teams or individuals to Gymnix this year? I know there is atleast a dev camp before Gymnix (early march) and most likely a National Team Camp before that date- anyone have any intel?

I'm assuming a few seniors too but not sure. They will name the juniors for gymnix and jesolo after the camp at the end of this month.

I've heard at least 3 juniors each to Jesolo, Gymnix and Pac Rim. Pac Rim and Jesolo are very close together so doubtful the same gymnasts would go to both.

Also heard USA FIG licenses were recently updated. The list is public information. There are athletes on it who never were on national team, but it's still a good indicator for gymnasts under consideration.

Yes, i was told the Juniors that are selected will be leaving to Gymnix from the camp.

The gymnasts going to Gymnix should already know and will come packed to camp. As always, they have to be healthy and verify, but it should not be a mystery to them. Traditionally, you are selected at the camp 2 months before the event and told after that camp if you are verifying for a competition or back-up spot at the next camp. You verify for those positions at the camp immediately before the event.

The way the 2020 calendar is set up, I would expect the 3 on team to be going to Gymnix and Pac Rim, and new junior athletes to be added to team to compete at Jesolo. That's a GUESS based on the calendar.

Although I've been told 3 juniors from multiple sources, 3 doesn't sound right to me. Unless there is a budget restriction, maybe they will send a full junior team since USAG is already going?

Three gymnasts on junior team is grossly too low IMO. That means that by 2022, we will have a large class of unprepared seniors. More 13-15yo gymnasts need the experience of national team camp, the pressure to develop events, and international competition experience (both for exposure and practice). We also need to expand the universe of coaches having these experiences so that we are developing future leaders. A lot of effort is spent on the 15/16yo gymnasts, but in the post-Simone USAG, we need to expand the pool of 12/14yo so we have successful seniors. 12/14yo often do not have all of their events and may be limited by funds and where they live, but they can develop best with the intervention by USAG.

Btw, I think the developmental campers are fantastic and love the high numbers of hopes participants. I just want them to get across the finish line and become what their talent allows. USAG has limited money and it's an Olympic year; I surely don't mean to bash on them either.

The gymnasts going to Gymnix should already know and will come packed to camp. As always, they have to be healthy and verify, but it should not be a mystery to them. Traditionally, you are selected at the camp 2 months before the event and told after that camp if you are verifying for a competition or back-up spot at the next camp. You verify for those positions at the camp immediately before the event.

The way the 2020 calendar is set up, I would expect the 3 on team to be going to Gymnix and Pac Rim, and new junior athletes to be added to team to compete at Jesolo. That's a GUESS based on the calendar.
That is a long time for these girls and their coaches to be gone. Camp and then straight to an international meet. And what if they don't all have passports?

That is a long time for these girls and their coaches to be gone. Camp and then straight to an international meet. And what if they don't all have passports?

It is a long time, but not that uncommon for international assignments. They usually leave right after camp (or with a day or two in between) for worlds. Pan am games were the same last year. The Olympic team will be away from home for close to a month, which is kind of crazy.

I think a passport is a requirement to get a FIG license, and USAG has to apply for FIG licenses at least a month in advance. National team members are certainly required to hold valid passports. So as long as they create a short list a few months in advance, this shouldn't be an issue. I'd certainly hope this is something communicated well to team camp invitees and parents and coaches of gymnasts eligible for international assignments.

It is a long time, but not that uncommon for international assignments. They usually leave right after camp (or with a day or two in between) for worlds. Pan am games were the same last year. The Olympic team will be away from home for close to a month, which is kind of crazy.

I think a passport is a requirement to get a FIG license, and USAG has to apply for FIG licenses at least a month in advance. National team members are certainly required to hold valid passports. So as long as they create a short list a few months in advance, this shouldn't be an issue. I'd certainly hope this is something communicated well to team camp invitees and parents and coaches of gymnasts eligible for international assignments.
We were told to get a passport for our daughter a few months ago, which we did, but it was communicated as a "just in case" scenario.

The USA has not sent a team of seniors to Gymnix for a very long time. But they have sent full junior teams on and off through the years. Hopefully this will be one of the years they do, it is such a fun competition. Also fun that it is a podium meet.

The USA has not sent a team of seniors to Gymnix for a very long time. But they have sent full junior teams on and off through the years. Hopefully this will be one of the years they do, it is such a fun competition. Also fun that it is a podium meet.
It's on our meet calendar for the elites/Hopes group, but I'm not sure the gymnast that has a shot at it has qualified elite yet, but she was Hopes last year and is going to camp next week.

It's on our meet calendar for the elites/Hopes group, but I'm not sure the gymnast that has a shot at it has qualified elite yet, but she was Hopes last year and is going to camp next week.
I know they aren't planning to take any HOPES gymnasts, but camp is a qualifier so if she is trying to qualify as a junior and qualifies at camp she could have a shot. I think they were looking at gymnasts born in 2006 and earlier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back