WAG Level 7 beam - deduction for missing acro connection?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ginger

Proud Parent
I think the title says it all.
More details, my DD's acro series is CW-RO. This past meet, she had a big balanced check after CW, then another big balance check after RO.
So my guess is, the deduction for these two balance checks was around 0.5 total, but then another deduction was added for missing the connection as she certainly couldn't get a credit for it.
Can anyone educate me how big this 'no credit' deduction is?
Thank you in advance!

My kid, also level 7, has lost the connection in two meets :confused: and both times on the score card they gave her, they changed her SV to a 9.5 because of this. And then the deductions for the wobble or whatever that made her lose the connection.

My daughter is doing CW CW in level 6 and has missed the connection in both meets. Her card also had a 9.5 start value.

And just a tip that hopefully her coaches have told her about, but she is allowed to retry the whole series after the cartwheel if she wobbles on it as long as there wasn't another cartwheel already in the routine, in order to avoid the ding to the start value.

And just a tip that hopefully her coaches have told her about, but she is allowed to retry the whole series after the cartwheel if she wobbles on it as long as there wasn't another cartwheel already in the routine, in order to avoid the ding to the start value.
I don't think this is accurate. My daughter stopped after her first BWO, then did a BWO-BWO series. She did not get credit for the series because you can only count the same skill twice. If she attempts a different series, it would count.

I don't think this is accurate. My daughter stopped after her first BWO, then did a BWO-BWO series. She did not get credit for the series because you can only count the same skill twice. If she attempts a different series, it would count.
That is because after 2 of a skill, any more do not count. You cannot redo a back walkover backwalkover series if one walkover was already done, because the third skill will not count. A cartwheel roundoff series, however, has 2 different skills. Therefore, if someone does a cartwheel, stops, and does a cartwheel roundoff both cartwheels count because only two were done, and the roundoff counts. On the other hand, repeating the series cannot be done with a cartwheel cartwheel series.

If she tends to wobble and struggle to connect the series a lot, it may not be worth repeating it though. She may lose more in deductions on the repeated series than taking the start value deduction.

So if my daughter falls off on her first CW of her CW CW series, should she repeat at least one CW or just move on? So far she hasn’t fallen, just gone too slow and/or balance checked. (Level 6)

So if my daughter falls off on her first CW of her CW CW series, should she repeat at least one CW or just move on? So far she hasn’t fallen, just gone too slow and/or balance checked. (Level 6)
In this case no, since the third CW will not count if she lands at least 1 foot on the beam after falling on the first CW. If she has another series in her back pocket though, like a CW handstand (held for 2+ seconds), then she could try that.

I have another question that seems related to this thread (maybe!) Is there a general deduction for doing these types of series in the first place? This might not be true about a CW-RO, but I know CW-CW is considered "easier" than the other more common options in Level 6 (BHS' or BWO-BWO). My daughter finally got credit for the connection at the last meet but while her score was a bit higher, it definitely wasn't .5 higher. I know I am terrible at judging deductions in general, but it seems like the rest of her routine was comparable to the other meets. Her coach commented on a general deduction for the series itself being easier. Is that likely the case? It's kind of irrelevant as I don't see her getting confident with her BHS before the end of the season and her BWO went wonky after a long period out of the gym- so I think CW-CW is her best option this season. Mainly just curious!

I have another question that seems related to this thread (maybe!) Is there a general deduction for doing these types of series in the first place? This might not be true about a CW-RO, but I know CW-CW is considered "easier" than the other more common options in Level 6 (BHS' or BWO-BWO). My daughter finally got credit for the connection at the last meet but while her score was a bit higher, it definitely wasn't .5 higher. I know I am terrible at judging deductions in general, but it seems like the rest of her routine was comparable to the other meets. Her coach commented on a general deduction for the series itself being easier. Is that likely the case? It's kind of irrelevant as I don't see her getting confident with her BHS before the end of the season and her BWO went wonky after a long period out of the gym- so I think CW-CW is her best option this season. Mainly just curious!
I do not believe there are any composition deductions until level 8 (someone can second me on that), so there shouldn't be any automatic deductions for skills that are "easier" but fulfill all the requirements. It is possible that some judges do not like the cartwheel cartwheel series for a level 6 and they may subconsciously judge it harder, but they are not supposed to. Keep in mind that scores can vary meet to meet, especially with different judges that see different things, so try not to focus too much on the scores from meet to meet but instead the improvements made.

Thank you! That is helpful. I had a feeling it was more of a subconscious thing if it happens. And yes, good advice to focus on improvements. It was nice to see her get the 10.0 SV! =)

No, it has nothing to do with the chosen skills, it has everything to do with making the connections in the series. CW-CW is a difficult connection to get credit for vs other combinations. If she needs so many As and so many Bs, and she meets all special requirements, her start value is 10.00. There is no bonus in her level for choosing “harder” skills or “easier” skills (and I’ve been told by an elite/collegeD1 gymnast and now coach/collegiate coach’s wife that a cartwheel on beam is one of the hardest skills to get. She told me that when I asked for a clinic for beam cartwheels when my od was struggling) in your daughter’s level, and there’s no deductions for skill choice either. Anyone who tells you that is wrong. (There is only bonus for skill choice in level 10, and there is only deductions for skills not up to level starting in level 8).

No, it has nothing to do with the chosen skills, it has everything to do with making the connections in the series. CW-CW is a difficult connection to get credit for vs other combinations. If she needs so many As and so many Bs, and she meets all special requirements, her start value is 10.00. There is no bonus in her level for choosing “harder” skills or “easier” skills (and I’ve been told by an elite/collegeD1 gymnast and now coach/collegiate coach’s wife that a cartwheel on beam is one of the hardest skills to get. She told me that when I asked for a clinic for beam cartwheels when my od was struggling) in your daughter’s level, and there’s no deductions for skill choice either. Anyone who tells you that is wrong. (There is only bonus for skill choice in level 10, and there is only deductions for skills not up to level starting in level 8).

Thanks. That is also helpful! I think we will just focus on being thankful she got the connection at a meet! Her beam score definitely seems to vary the most because of the possibility of falling and now the question mark with the connection. She likes beam and has really nice lines but it is nerve wracking!

If she tends to wobble and struggle to connect the series a lot, it may not be worth repeating it though. She may lose more in deductions on the repeated series than taking the start value deduction.
This.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back