WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym announced they are closing today. It’s the right decision. We have not had a case in our county yet, but it’s coming. Puma Jr is obviously disappointed, especially since she broke her foot six weeks and ago and will more than likely be cleared to go back on Wednesday, but we know this is what needs to happen to slow the spread. Thinking of our health care workers having to choose who to help because they are overwhelmed is terrifying. Our gym sent a spreadsheet with workouts and YouTube links which I’m very grateful for. Our schools are closing Friday (and to be honest I think it will be before then, we will probably pull our kids after tomorrow either way) and Puma Jr is a very squirrelly kid so this might be a rough few weeks! o_O:D:p Stay safe everyone!

We just got an email that DD's gym is staggering workouts, parents please don't stay. It looks like they've also built in cleaning time in between. Please bring enough water not to need the water fountain.

This, plus a ton of other modifications that I thought were more than sufficient, is what our gym said on Thursday and then by Saturday they were closed. I’m not sure if it was because of new stricter regulations or if they just realized after one day that the plan was going to be too difficult to maintain. Probably a lot of both. In the end, less places open means more disinfectant that’s available for hospitals and places who actually need it.

Are any gyms doing just private lessons?

I wondered and hoped for this - even if each athlete could get into the gym just one hour a week it might go a long way towards preventing the development of mental blocks on scary skills after such a long break. But since apparently spotting violates the goal of staying three feet away from other people, it gets tricky and one has to question what the risk:benefit ratio would be.

"Is this the whole state? Colorado just shut down ski resorts today. I’m guessing they’ll go to this by Tuesday. "

The article from the Philly newspaper just mentioned shutdowns in 4 counties.

Another angle on all of this: I am acutely aware that my children are watching, and learning, by how I respond to this pandemic. With this in mind, we are trying to:

Discuss our priorities in life and also how we sometimes can take things, services, and people for granted. Discuss gratitude for what we do have and the importance of family.

Role model how to remain calm in a crisis, base our actions on facts, and support one another during challenging times. Role model how to not get swept up in herd-mentality-panic, yet be wise with the information available.

Educate what behaviors and habits are self-defeating for our health and what behaviors effectively strengthen our health and our own immunity.

(and much more)

A silver lining these days is that it presents many teachable moments for the next generation, and for ourselves. Best to my ability, I am trying to take advantage of this opportunity to its fullest with my own children.

NYC just closed schools. This is a huge thing as many children depend on school for meals. Many parents depend on school for child care. There are those of us in health care who are simply not able to "not" go to work. I get mandated no one cares I have a kid. I leave my post, I can lose my license....... We have a family plan A, B, C and so on................. I can assure you it s*cks.

Our gym is taking things day by day....... And we have a long standing what to do program if you are not in gym.

Seriously there are worse things in life then not going to gym.... What to do...... push ups............ run, ............... take a walk..................Pull ups................squats................... splits......................straddles.................................. and on and on............... Ask your gym via email.

Almost everywhere that has closed schools has quickly put out plans for getting meals to kids. In our area they are doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner (!) via drive up at all the high schools. Some places are having buses deliver meals to their routes, etc.

The gym I coach at still hasn't shut down, I decided to start staying home though, so they're going to be very short staffed.. not sure how long I should stay home. really don't want to get sick.
Almost everywhere that has closed schools has quickly put out plans for getting meals to kids. In our area they are doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner (!) via drive up at all the high schools. Some places are having buses deliver meals to their routes, etc.

Our governor declared that schools have to put in place plans for meals for students who need them as well as childcare for first responders, health care workers, etc. Some districts are doing a great job. Some not as much. But I suspect in a week or so they'll all have something figured out.

A lot of restaurants in my area are also offering free grab and go lunches to children under 18 to fill the gap until the schools are able to implement their plans.

NYC just closed schools. This is a huge thing as many children depend on school for meals. Many parents depend on school for child care. There are those of us in health care who are simply not able to "not" go to work. I get mandated no one cares I have a kid. I leave my post, I can lose my license....... We have a family plan A, B, C and so on................. I can assure you it s*cks.

Our gym is taking things day by day....... And we have a long standing what to do program if you are not in gym.

Seriously there are worse things in life then not going to gym.... What to do...... push ups............ run, ............... take a walk..................Pull ups................squats................... splits......................straddles.................................. and on and on............... Ask your gym via email.

All of our schools are also closed and they all have plans to get food to children. Our community also has numerous high school kids offering to babysit for those who need it.

Almost everywhere that has closed schools has quickly put out plans for getting meals to kids. In our area they are doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner (!) via drive up at all the high schools.

Some places are having buses deliver meals to their routes, etc.
the quoted is awesome! My biggest concern with the closure of schools is all the families who don't have transportation to get their children to the schools. This is a great option. Our school district is working on ways to get enough ready to eat single serve meals/snacks to last a few days at a time directly to families' homes.

Our local schools (Nor Cal) are closed for the next month. Gym is also closed for all recreational classes, parties, open gyms, pre-team, etc. for the next month. Team is on a two week closure at which point gym leadership will re-evaluate. I’m not feeling positive.

As a part-time coach, I worry about income loss, though thankfully I have another job that will continue remotely.
However, I do think it’s the right thing to do.

We just received an email from our gym that regionals is canceled and our gym will most likely be closed for 60 days. I am heartbroken. This is scary.

Well, our gym tried. I think one of the most frustrating things about this whole thing has been the trickle of changes. First it's limit to 250 people, then 100, then 50. State of WA closed all restaurants, bars, places of entertainment, etc. effective today. The mandate came last night about 9:30pm. So, at first at the beginning of the weekend our gym was going to stay open, make classes smaller, etc. Then the schools closed and so they moved team to daytime - keep the gymnasts apart, wipe down everything between rotations, etc. But before we can even implement that, the mandate is issued last night and now the gym has to close. I feel like I can't keep up. I mentally adjust to one change and before I can fully accept it, another change is issued. It's like whiplash. It makes it so hard to help our kids cope too. :(

On Friday our gym announced that it was closing. Today it announced that team practice will resume immediately, despite the fact that all schools in the state are closed and the governor has asked for all large gatherings to be canceled. I am livid. I will be keeping my daughter home.

The trickle has been tough on my kids too. And I totally get the constant readjusting and whiplash - same here. But the alternative, cutting everything off abruptly, would probably not have been logistically feasible. I‘m guessing leaders consulted with infectious disease experts and knew from close to the start that it would come to this, but it also had to be implemented gradually (although I would have supported less gradually) to give people time to prepare. At this point though, the writing is on the wall and anybody still holding out is fooling themselves.

Same. Our gym closed for the weekend to clean. Then moved some groups to the mornings to reduce the number of gymnasts in the gym at the same time. Then learned yesterday that the gym is closing for this week. Will evaluate after that. And now our state has just ordered a slew of businesses including gymnasiums, fitness centers, indoor sports facilities, etc. to close through March 30. So depressing.

But on a lighter note. Just called home to check in on my two DD's (age 12 and 13). One was mopping. One was doing dishes. (Mind you, this is not a normal occurrence with them). And they had already completed their conditioning workout and an art activity this morning. They have put together a daily schedule with includes cleaning, conditioning, stretching, art, reading, etc. At least for Day 1, they appear to be enjoying themselves. And making the best of it. :)

On Friday our gym announced that it was closing. Today it announced that team practice will resume immediately, despite the fact that all schools in the state are closed and the governor has asked for all large gatherings to be canceled. I am livid. I will be keeping my daughter home.

The gym just reversed course again and announced that it will remain closed after all! I sent an appreciative message to the owners.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back