Parents Stop giving parents grief if they are unable to pay for services they are not getting during the covid-19 pandemic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Solid444

Proud Parent
My wife and I have seen so many gymnastics moms and dads on other forums giving unthoughtful tone deaf opinions on how everyone “should continue” to pay their gym despite their gym being closed and not rendering services at this time. Newsflash: that’s not up to you to decide or give grief to those families that have stated that they are unable to pay financially right now.

How are you sympathetic for your gym, but not sympathetic for the members who are not in a position to pay? Seems hypocritical
Both deserve your prayers and sympathy.

How rich and privileged are some to still be able to make $500 a month payments for a gym that’s closed. That’s not everyone’s situation and many families make monthly
sacrifices as is to make sure their children are in extra-curricular activities. So try to be alot more understanding judging others and making tone deaf comments on how others “should continue” to pay.

I even read where members are being kicked out of their gym because they can not afford to pay. That is unconscionable and families should not have to decide on whether to put food on their table or continue to pay a gym that is closed and not providing services.

rant over

It's everybody's own business what they can afford and where they choose to allocate that. And while I hope people will be generous in this crisis, gymnastics hardly constitutes a vital service right now, and many families have more pressing matters than keeping the gym open-while-empty indefinitely.

EDIT: My own take is that you should (to the extent you can afford) be exactly as generous to your gym as you think they would be to you if you were struggling to make ends meet and couldn't pay tuition.
What that means likely varies from gym to gym

If the family is facing severely reduced hours or lay offs, then clearly they cannot/should not continue to pay tuition. However, If a family continues to be fully employed (the vast majority of America) and the gym is doing what they can to offer virtual trainings to their teams, I do think it is in the family's best interest to continue to pay. My gymnast dd is in college now but my ds is a competitive swimmer and we will continue to pay for his tuition to keep his team afloat. The team usually takes the month of August off to rest the swimmers and give the coaches a vacation. They will not do that this year and will train through that month. I am sure that gyms will find a way to make up at least some of the missed hours, through weekend camps, a couple of extra hours each week, etc. But they can't do that if they go belly up and have to close/sell the equipment from no revenue.

Our gym reached out and specifically said they'd suspend payments for team during this time. Honestly, I don't know how they're going to afford to do that in the long run, but I will say I'm grateful.

Our gym reached out and specifically said they'd suspend payments for team during this time. Honestly, I don't know how they're going to afford to do that in the long run, but I will say I'm grateful.
With the passing of the $2T bill, businesses will have low interest forgivable loans available to them.
Hopefully many of the gyms will be able to utilize this to keep them going for the short term.

I have not seen a single person on any forum say that people need to pay their gym even if they have themselves lost income or are about to.

You have seen this? Someone has said, "Even though your income has been cut, you need to pay your gym or you suck?" or any variation of that?

I have not seen a single person on any forum say that people need to pay their gym even if they have themselves lost income or are about to.

You have seen this? Someone has said, "Even though your income has been cut, you need to pay your gym or you suck?" or any variation of that?
We’ve seen numerous people give grief To others by saying, why wouldn’t you pay? Or We budgeted for this so yeah you should pay or I’m going to pay because I want my gym to be open after this and I “expect” other to also or saying it’s a business so if they kick you out for not being able to pay while they are closed then that’s their business. And numerous other tone deaf opinions on what others should be doing during this crisis.

none of the above responses are appropriate considering the state of what’s going on

If the family is facing severely reduced hours or lay offs, then clearly they cannot/should not continue to pay tuition. However, If a family continues to be fully employed (the vast majority of America) and the gym is doing what they can to offer virtual trainings to their teams, I do think it is in the family's best interest to continue to pay. My gymnast dd is in college now but my ds is a competitive swimmer and we will continue to pay for his tuition to keep his team afloat. The team usually takes the month of August off to rest the swimmers and give the coaches a vacation. They will not do that this year and will train through that month. I am sure that gyms will find a way to make up at least some of the missed hours, through weekend camps, a couple of extra hours each week, etc. But they can't do that if they go belly up and have to close/sell the equipment from no revenue.
I know of a few families that have been let go, “furloughed“ or receiving reduced pay during this time so not everyone is still fully employed

We’ve seen numerous people give grief To others by saying, why wouldn’t you pay? Or We budgeted for this so yeah you should pay or I’m going to pay because I want my gym to be open after this and I “expect” other to also or saying it’s a business so if they kick you out for not being able to pay while they are closed then that’s their business. And numerous other tone deaf opinions on what others should be doing during this crisis.

none of the above responses are appropriate considering the state of what’s going on

Interesting. I read virtually every thread in the big gymnastics facebook groups and I haven't seen anyone say that people who have lost income should prioritize paying the gym. It certainly isn't something that "many" or "numerous" people are saying. I have seen a lot of people saying that if you have the income and you care about your child's gym being there when this is over you should pay them. I have seen a lot of people say it's in their budget and their income is unchanged, so why wouldn't they? I have seen a lot of people say they can't because their economic situation has changed or is now uncertain. I have seen a few people say that they have the income but refuse to pay for services not rendered, but not one single person say people who have lost their jobs should still pay their gym.

This seems more like a case of being stressed out and touchy about what is going on and reading things into people's comments that aren't there. How you responded to GymGal's comment is kind of indicative of this. She never said no one has lost their jobs and, in fact, addressed families that had lost income in her very first sentence. If the gym groups are bringing negativity to you (they were for me when everyone was just constantly fighting about gyms that were open/closed) then use the "hide for 30 days" feature and say bye to the drama for a while.

Interesting. I read virtually every thread in the big gymnastics facebook groups and I haven't seen anyone say that people who have lost income should prioritize paying the gym. It certainly isn't something that "many" or "numerous" people are saying. I have seen a lot of people saying that if you have the income and you care about your child's gym being there when this is over you should pay them. I have seen a lot of people say it's in their budget and their income is unchanged, so why wouldn't they? I have seen a lot of people say they can't because their economic situation has changed or is now uncertain. I have seen a few people say that they have the income but refuse to pay for services not rendered, but not one single person say people who have lost their jobs should still pay their gym.

This seems more like a case of being stressed out and touchy about what is going on and reading things into people's comments that aren't there. How you responded to GymGal's comment is kind of indicative of this. She never said no one has lost their jobs and, in fact, addressed families that had lost income in her very first sentence. If the gym groups are bringing negativity to you (they were for me when everyone was just constantly fighting about gyms that were open/closed) then use the "hide for 30 days" feature and say bye to the drama for a while.
I’ve read virtually all responses since this has started as well and I said what I said and that’s what I observed.

My post was for everyone to have empathy in this crisis and for others stop telling or suggesting what others should do or how they should handle anything. Case in point just as you yet attempted to tell me what to do I.e. hide for 30 days. I don’t need to hide.

I responded to someone saying majority of America was still getting full pay...and such is not the case so everyone needs to stop speaking on others situation.

And FYi gym groups are NOT bringing negativity our way so please don’t tell us to say bye to the drama.

Have a good night you go hide

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back