Parents Trampoline recommendation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
Looks like gym will be closed for a while... Thinking of getting a trampoline for my level 9 to practice and for her little sister to play. Any recommendations? They are requesting one that is "bouncy". Thanks!

Check your homeowners insurance policy to see if it’s allowed. A trampoline can be considered an “ attractive nuisance “ much like a pool.

also check your gymnastics insurance. British Gymnastics have put out several statements over here that only home conditioning is covered, injuries from any skills are not.

it’s also worth bearing in mind that even minor injuries will add to the burden on health services, who have quite a bit to deal with already.

level 9 skills sound a bit scary to be doing at home!!

I would also recommend that you avoid a home trampoline.

The technique to do skills on a trampoline is different to the floor. The trampoline can make up for technical mistakes, and hide them. So the more the kids practice on the tramp the better they get at doing the skills incorrectly. As a result it’s common to lose skills altogether, from practicing on a trampoline.

Home trampoline injuries are very common and can be very, very serious. One of our young gymnasts was playing on her trampoline at home, when she was thrown off and ended up with a brain bleed, and still has problems years later.

Basically all of my gymnasts have trampolines at home. All of them have safety nets in place. They mostly practice jumps and leaps and basic tumbling and I think it's beneficial in this situation. They know they are not allowed to train new complex skills on home tramps.

I think it's good and fun exercise. I agree that they can be potentially dangerous and you should check your insurance policy. Safety net is a must. When there are rules in place and training is monitored by parents and only one person is allowed to jump at a time I see no harm. We had a tramp when I was a kid and it was my favorite place to be on summer days. We had rules and we followed them.

Ok first I agree with all the above reasons for “ No”. We have said it for years to our now 14 yr old. That being said desperate times call for desperate measures and.....well...we ordered one.

Your choice will be slim they are sold out everywhere best selection is the $1200 and up, which was not our budget. Square and rectangle has most bounce but only small square ones 13’ can be found and they are in the $490 range, good for young kids. Rectangle are around but $600 would have been my choice but didn’t want to spend that much. Bounce has to do with amount of springs we went with a Skywalker 15’ Round $370 which seems the most common brand with good reviews other than setup. Walmart only place that has stock as of last week. Wayfair had rectangles.

Again we have been the no on this item for years and in a perfect world we would still be no.

Thank you all for your thoughts. We are with TigTimes. We never considered a trampoline before but here we are. To be clear, our DD is not looking to practice her level 9 skills on a home trampoline. But I do think it will help her practice some things and stay fit and strong while having fun. I know some kids are riding bikes, running, but she only loves gymnastics.

We are in the same boat. We have said no for years, but as of tomorrow will be the proud owners of a 14ft round with netting. My DS (12) is my gymnest and my girls (14, 9) will also benefit from the exercise. I grew up with a trampoline no netting and I won't tell my kids 1/2 the stuff we uses to do on it! Ground rules have been set though. 20 hours a week to zero is so hard on my son.

Jakesmom - make sure you read instructions and watch a YouTube video before setup which was really helpful. Had ours up in an hour no issues. Haven’t seen my kid smile so much in weeks. Took a pandemic but she finally got the trampoline she has wanted since she was 5

oh and order wind anchors didn’t know about that part (we had to use sand bags with the high wind storm Monday)

Jakesmom - make sure you read instructions and watch a YouTube video before setup which was really helpful. Had ours up in an hour no issues. Haven’t seen my kid smile so much in weeks. Took a pandemic but she finally got the trampoline she has wanted since she was 5

oh and order wind anchors didn’t know about that part (we had to use sand bags with the high wind storm Monday)

I will definitely look into anchors! And I watched a video yesterday about set up, I will watch it again.

Thanks for Tips :)

We got a trampoline when my kids were young; my gymnast was a Level 5. She is now a freshman in a Div 1 team. The kids enjoyed the trampoline, especially in the beginning. But 1) the novelty wore off pretty quickly; 2) when she hit Level 7, she rarely got on it and she was 9 years old; 3) they did not play on the trampoline more than 20 mins at a time. So it is a fun equipment to have but it does not provide as much skill maintenance, physical fitness as one might think.

Of course, the above is just my personal experience; and they may spend more time on it because of our current situation. I will say, it can be a good cardio workout. But you can also get safer cardio workout elsewhere. Should you get one, make sure to remind or teach them to never break a fall with their hands/arms and follow all safety recommendations.

Is there any proven benefits to a trampoline e.g stronger legs, developing fast twitch muscle fibre or increased height in jumps?

We have had a Springfree Trampoline for 2.5 years now and we love it. It can stay up all year round, even our harsh winters, and it is still as good as the day we got it. They are more expensive than your average trampoline but well worth it. My daughter is 9 years old in the Aspire program here in Canada and has been given specific conditioning routines for the trampoline, much like the ones they used to do at the gym. She knows she isn't allowed to do anything crazy on it, especially things she hasn't learned yet, and it has been nice to have to mix up the routine a bit. As others have mentioned, she didn't use it very much while the gym was open but my son was on it every day as it has a basketball net attached. Hope that helps.

My daughter is a D1 gymnast. We have had the trampoline since she started gymnastics years and years ago. It has been a constant source of entertainment and activity for both of my daughters. I always figured that my gymnast is probably the safest person to jump on a trampoline, unlike me when I was young, because of her body and air awareness. It is not and never was a great place to learn new skills, or practice best form for skills, but I have always said that it has improved her gymnastics based on the air-sense alone.

I have never had a net because we bought ours for $25 off of craigslist, and I acknowledge that is a probably a better idea overall, although I've seen so many videos of a net stopping a kid in mid air and making them land strangely, or them falling through/out the bottom, or the net just ripping right open...so there is that.

Anyway, my gymnast is home from college right now, and she's been using it every day for about an hour. It is a really great way to stay in shape, even if you're just jumping. I personally can attest to getting tired after 5 minutes of easy jumping, even when I can easily run a 5k, because jumping and balancing on it uses all of those fine motor muscles that gymnasts have. Oh, and she even invented a jaeger drill this week to help her practice the motion. I am thrilled we have it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back