Parents Saying no

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
I am that mean mom who refuses to purchase my child an air track so she can break her ankle tumbling in the backyard while the gym is closed. I have just been informed that the lack of an air track is ruining my child's life. Said child has also rebuffed offers to provide a floor bar and a Forster bar, along with all suggestions that conditioning beyond the 1.5 hours a week of Zoom practices would be helpful.

Before the pandemic, the kid didn't push back too hard against our ban on tumbling at home because she could tumble in the gym four days a week. I'm not going to change my mind and buy her an air track, but is there anything I can do or say to help her not to take it so hard?

Threatening to take away Instagram if she complains one more time about watching her friends tumble on Instagram has been counterproductive. :rolleyes:

Not sure if this will help or not, but my son told me he can't stand airtracks. He said that he feels like they are ankle breakers. (his words.) Maybe hearing from another gymnast? He hasn't tumbled at all since this started since he will not tumble in the grass. He said tumbling will come back easily, but strength and flexibility will not.

We have lots of Animal Crossing going on in our house. Tinker Bell’s dad wants an RC car. I think I could buy Tink off with a basketball hoop, but those are hard to come by these days.

we got a air pad and she doesn’t feel super confident tumbling on it. We use it for leaps, jumps, round off, and bhs. shell survive without one. Hag in there

I'd tell her if she asked me again , she's done with the sport....and tell her she's got a good head start on what it would look like so zip her lip as its not happening.

And before you ask, I absolutely would follow through. I am still legend among my kids and their friends for taking away a cellphone from one of them for an entire year so yeah , I'd have no issue telling her to knock it off or there'd be consequences.

Bookworm is the tough mom Y’all. I’ve paraphrased her advice repeatedly, to parents and kids here and off CB. Gymnastics ( or insert other thing) is optional and expensive if you complain it can be stopped now.

Situations like this are why video games were invented

Got a bunch of haha reacts for this, but I'm completely serious. The WHO has even recommended people play more video games during this crisis. Games can -- if managed and supervised properly -- provide entertainment and intellectual stimulation, as well as being a way to engage socially, both with people in the same household and with friends who they otherwise don't get to play with right now or ever.

Got a bunch of haha reacts for this, but I'm completely serious. The WHO has even recommended people play more video games during this crisis. Games can -- if managed and supervised properly -- provide entertainment and intellectual stimulation, as well as being a way to engage socially, both with people in the same household and with friends who they otherwise don't get to play with right now or ever.

Oh I agree. They have been a great thing for my gymnast son. He and his teammates play daily. It allows them to connect and hang out together. Very important for his well-being right now!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back