Where is USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Go Figure

Proud Parent
I'm shocked that there is NO guidance from our National Governing Body on this topic. There is nothing on the website at least, hopefully they are working on something. Isn't this part of their role? Texas has released requirements for gyms to open on May 18. Some of the "health protocols" are:

Disinfect any equipment before and after use (difficult (if not impossible) to disinfect the floor, tumbl trak, rod floor etc;, probably not good for the equipment to disinfect beam, vault; don't even go there with the pit....)

Wear gloves that fully cover from the wrists to the fingers while exercising (nope, not possible for gymnasts)

To the extent a patron brings their own equipment to the gym or exercise facility, the patron should disinfect the equipment before and after use (do grips count? How do you disinfect grips, spray them with lysol, maybe?)

Now granted in Texas, there will be no real enforcement of any of the health protocols and all the stuff that comes from the State is very loose like "consider wearing face cloth coverings" and "maintain at least 6 feet separation"....unless "such distance is not feasible". I don't expect Texas gyms will get in trouble if they decide not to do these things, but the point is this.......

Shouldn't our national governing body be working with health experts to develop the best possible guidance that are relevant to our sport and then work with state and local officials to implement gymnastic-specific rules in jurisdictions that are actually going to enforce the rules?

They have compiled a lot of information. I also know there was a webinar recently about gyms reopening.

I've been to this page and didn't see any information about gym reopenings, maybe I'm missing it.

All of the information has to do with cancellations and explanations about cancellations and some links to the CDC and WHO on how to wash your hands and limiting mass gatherings. There is no specific guidance that I can find on how to operate a gymnastics facility in the age of COVID-19 or how to deal with state and local regulations that don't make sense in a gymnastics environment.

Each gym will need to abide by the rules or guidelines of their local government and/or guidelines of local health authority. And this means city or county government entities usually, not state or not only state. Maybe USAG should do more, but I do not see how they can responsibly give gyms across the US opening guidelines.

I've been to this page and didn't see any information about gym reopenings, maybe I'm missing it.

All of the information has to do with cancellations and explanations about cancellations and some links to the CDC and WHO on how to wash your hands and limiting mass gatherings. There is no specific guidance that I can find on how to operate a gymnastics facility in the age of COVID-19 or how to deal with state and local regulations that don't make sense in a gymnastics environment.

I know they did a webinar with suggestions. I saw part of it, but did not finish as I am a parent.

In reality, following the WHO, CDC, and local public health departments should be the guidelines for gyms opening. IT will be slightly different for each gym based on location, size, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel, when all of this information is out there, and no matter what, the local authorities are the ones that will decide when and how.

But I can see what you are saying. I wish I could find that webinar that was done.

I'm shocked that there is NO guidance from our National Governing Body on this topic. There is nothing on the website at least, hopefully they are working on something. Isn't this part of their role? Texas has released requirements for gyms to open on May 18. Some of the "health protocols" are:

Disinfect any equipment before and after use (difficult (if not impossible) to disinfect the floor, tumbl trak, rod floor etc;, probably not good for the equipment to disinfect beam, vault; don't even go there with the pit....)

Wear gloves that fully cover from the wrists to the fingers while exercising (nope, not possible for gymnasts)

To the extent a patron brings their own equipment to the gym or exercise facility, the patron should disinfect the equipment before and after use (do grips count? How do you disinfect grips, spray them with lysol, maybe?)

Now granted in Texas, there will be no real enforcement of any of the health protocols and all the stuff that comes from the State is very loose like "consider wearing face cloth coverings" and "maintain at least 6 feet separation"....unless "such distance is not feasible". I don't expect Texas gyms will get in trouble if they decide not to do these things, but the point is this.......

Shouldn't our national governing body be working with health experts to develop the best possible guidance that are relevant to our sport and then work with state and local officials to implement gymnastic-specific rules in jurisdictions that are actually going to enforce the rules?
Sounds like these are geared toward gym gyms, not gymnastics gyms. Because treadmills, stair climbers, weight machines, etc do get disinfected before and after use at all the gyms I have been to (or at least there have always been signs telling you to).

USA Gymnastics meets on many many levels every week (if not daily). I personally have received much help through the "networking" powers of USA Gymnastics during this time (hearing what others are doing through Zoom meetings etc).

One thing that I am definitely not expecting from USA Gymnastics is guidelines as to how our small business needs to operate in something that is not in their "wheelhouse". Just like this site... USA Gymnastics is a "gymnastics" organization... not a "health" organization. Let's face it... USA Gymnastics has clubs in 50 different states which are all doing things differently. USA Gymnastics really can't do much except for saying "follow your state guidelines". I'm sure as time goes on USA Gymnastics will make some policy changes due to COVID-19... but they need to wait for guidance from others on this as it is not in their "wheelhouse".

Now I can tell you they have had some excellent educational lectures (in their "wheelhouse") during this time... a great small circling one the other day... and an excellent front tumbling one a couple days before that.

@JBS - that is a great point. Just because we as parents don't see anything, does not mean there is nothing going on :)

One thing that I am definitely not expecting from USA Gymnastics is guidelines as to how our small business needs to operate in something that is not in their "wheelhouse". Just like this site... USA Gymnastics is a "gymnastics" organization... not a "health" organization. Let's face it... USA Gymnastics has clubs in 50 different states which are all doing things differently. USA Gymnastics really can't do much except for saying "follow your state guidelines". I'm sure as time goes on USA Gymnastics will make some policy changes due to COVID-19... but they need to wait for guidance from others on this as it is not in their "wheelhouse".

Not meaning to sound snarky, but why is this? US Club Soccer for example issued a mandate that all activity must be shut down. At the state and local level, these are private youth clubs. Hair salons are private small businesses and they are also ordered to be closed by their state cosmetology boards. In light of some of these examples, it does seem that USAG could take a harder line with USAG member gym closures. Am I wrong? I find the rules as far as what businesses can open and what can’t very unclear myself.

I would think that it would be a benefit for USAG to put out a "standard of practice" for operation during this time. They are the "experts" in gymnastics and if they got guidance from the CDC etc and said "this is how we believe USAG gyms should deal with disinfection etc" it would put everyone on the same page. I would think that would be very helpful for the community at large.

They are the "experts" in gymnastics and if they got guidance from the CDC etc and said "this is how we believe USAG gyms should deal with disinfection etc" it would put everyone on the same page.

Read this...

Soft (Porous) Surfaces
  • For soft (porous) surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes, remove visible contamination if present and clean with appropriate cleaners indicated for use on these surfaces. After cleaning:

Now... do you have a washing machine for my 14,000 sq. ft. of carpet... much of which is bonded to foam? There are some real issues here that you all don't seem to understand. Most gyms will be looking at full remodels to comply. Does your gym have mesh mats... loose foam pits... carpet... suede?

Am I wrong?

Completely... you are absolutely and completely wrong.

Try this link...

Why isn’t USA Gym. requiring local gymnastics clubs to close? Gymnastics clubs and gyms are private businesses; therefore, USA Gymnastics does not hold the authority to order them to close. Gymnastics clubs must ultimately make their own decisions during these challenging times. USA Gymnastics urges everyone in the community to follow the latest CDC guidance, review other school or community closures in your area, and reach out to your local public health department, to help determine if and when to cancel/alter business operations or participation in gymnastics activities.

USA Gymnastics pulled all of the sanctions... effectively ending competition. That's all they have the power to do in their current state.

Remember... not too long ago there was much talk of people leaving USA Gymnastics and starting a new governing body... or two... or three. If USA Gymnastics makes the wrong move... that will all come back very quickly.

Last edited:
Now... do you have a washing machine for my 14,000 sq. ft. of carpet... much of which is bonded to foam. There are some real issues here that you all don't seem to understand. Most gyms will be looking at full remodels to comply. Does your gym have mesh mats... loose foam pits... carpet... suede?

One of the options in you quote if the surface can not be laundered is: "Otherwise, use products that are EPA-approved for use against the virus that causes COVID-19 and that are suitable for porous surfaces. "

I can't speak to most of this, but I know our gym has specifically been working to make a plan with one of our local "head of pandemic response" guys. They have obtained approved cleaners, and on advice from them, have gotten the aerosolizers (?) to effectively blanket the gym with them, and is aware of how long they have to sit to work, and is planning practice with that time in between.

My personal opinion, and I know I'm a broken record, is this stuff is all useless anyway. I was reading yesterday, yet again, that science's best guess is that 6% of cases are from fomites/contact transmission, and 94% of cases are respitory/person to person, including some pretty scary situations where some person sitting near an air conditioning intake at a restaurant infected not only his own table, but the table clear across the room that was by the air conditioner vent/outflow.

All this cleaning leads to a false sense of security, where in reality you (general you) have maybe eliminated 6% of the risk and are covering your eyes to the fact that the real risk is being in an enclosed building with other people for any period of time.

And I don't actually feel like gyms shouldn't reopen, necessarily. My kid will likely be there when ours does, as long as the situation in our city stays stable. But the obsession with cleaning is such a fallacy of distraction. It's a way to pretend you've mitigated the risk so you don't have to actually think about the true risk is and whether it's worth it.

I can't speak to most of this, but I know our gym has specifically been working to make a plan with one of our local "head of pandemic response" guys. They have obtained approved cleaners, and on advice from them, have gotten the aerosolizers (?) to effectively blanket the gym with them, and is aware of how long they have to sit to work, and is planning practice with that time in between.

That link above is broken... but if you search hard enough you will eventually make it to the correct place as far as I can see on the EPA site...

There you will basically find...

Hydrogen peroxide or Quaternary ammonium

Not really the point. The point is that I don't really want to spray the entire gym down with toxic chemicals until it is wet to the touch for 10 - 20 minutes every day or more often. I might as well fill the sprinkler system with Pine-Sol and turn it on for 10. seconds at the end of every group.

Remember... the toxic chemicals work after 10 minutes... but they don't necessarily dry after 10 minutes.

It just doesn't sound healthy or feasible to me. Removing soft porous surfaces is more realistic... you just don't see a lot of carpeted operating rooms in a hospitals.

My kid breathing in that stuff every day worries me, I agree. I just wanted to point out that it is possible, even if it is...less than desireable.

I don't think many places will be quick to remove porus surfaces. Because I don't think many expect cleaning fervor or restrictions to last very long. I don't.

Especially since it doesn't actually do much.

I understand what you’re saying @JBS. When I asked if I was wrong, I meant how is USAG different as a governing body than US Club soccer who has taken a hard line? The youth soccer clubs are also private businesses. It seemed like in theory USAG should have similar authority, but I understand they have to be careful. I don’t necessarily want the gyms to stay closed either. My kids are dying to go back. But so is my soccer player, and the soccer clubs are not reopening at all unlike some of the gyms.

Gosh, I agree @Sk8ermaiden about the cleaning. I don’t love the idea of “blanketing” the gym with aerosolizers.

@LJL07 Sorry... I just don’t want USA Gymnastics to get thrown under the bus on this one as I really do think they are doing what they can in this scenario. I’m not really sure how USA Soccer works... but it appears to be very different.

@LJL07 Sorry... I just don’t want USA Gymnastics to get thrown under the bus on this one as I really do think they are doing what they can in this scenario. I’m not really sure how USA Soccer works... but it appears to be very different.
Oh I totally hear you. I think all of this just underscores my total confusion about ALL of this, and I don't just mean youth sports.

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back