Parents Using gym PT?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ppgmom

Proud Parent
Was wondering about other experiences. My daughter had an injury in her gym caused by her coach . We went to the PT hired by the gym.The coach made a big thing of seeing their PT and said to not go to a pediatrician. The coach said no charge as the PT was part of the service. The coach constantly modified or ignored the PT advice. DD pediatrician said to see PT outside of gym. We did. New PT asked for records from gym PT. No response. New PT made a second request.No response. I called over there and was told my DD had never been there. After alot of pushing, I verbally got dates from the desk person she was in fact there, but they don't give out those records. I talked to the PT and she said she could read the notes to me over the phone but they were not records and she refused to give them out saying she volunteered her time so she didn't have to. I asked for copied of everything I signed including acknowledgment that I waived access
and/ or understood that. She said they don't give that out.Also added the office manager wanted it that way. When I pressed further, she said she would have the office manager call me back. They didn't. We had multiple visits with this PT at this office, appointments were made, and they were an hour or so long. Everything was just like any other provider. I do recall that when the desk person took my insurance card she said ' You should put this on your insurance in case you need to sue them later, other you won't be able to."
Yes big red flag. At the time I didn't realize how the whole situation occured . I also didn't know at that time how afraid DD was of the coach. DD didn't tell me about it because she thought the coach would be retaliatory.
DD has friends at another gym and those parents tell me it has a PT that measures strength and flexibility and symmetry on an on going basis so the coach can tailor some of the conditioning and tells you generally what she thinks if some thing hurts and if the gymnaste needs to be seen. It is parents choice to go to her at her office and everything is through insurance or see a PT of your own selection. So that's done in a more normal way.
The gym PT did write down how the injury occured and by whom. I do remember that.
Thoughts?

We go to the orthopedist before PT. That way I have a clear idea of the injury and what needs to be done. This is pretty much a prescription that I give to the PT that works at our gym. We pay him and that is billed through insurance. I would be very wary of any medical professional that is taking advice from the person who caused the injury and is not being completely transparent.

1. Leave that gym
2. Write everything out, compile any documentation, and report this PT to their licensing board.
3. Future coaches do not have a say in your child’s medical treatment. See a doctor for injuries so they can write an appropriate PT script.

Flags all over the place. Really. Telling you not to go to ped? Instructing you which PT to see? Um no. Never.

You should always have access to any medical records. Always.
I was told by the PT that they are not medical records since the gym paid for it, they are just notes .... The PT told me that she goes into that guym and some other gym every two weeks or so to see the gymnasts and also sees them in the office as a scheduling courtesy with our being paid. She is doing it as a volunteer so they are not medical records.... It doesn't sound right. I asked for a copy of what I signed that informed if that. She said if I had more questions the office could answer them I was never called.

I was told by the PT that they are not medical records since the gym paid for it, they are just notes .... The PT told me that she goes into that guym and some other gym every two weeks or so to see the gymnasts and also sees them in the office as a scheduling courtesy with our being paid. She is doing it as a volunteer so they are not medical records.... It doesn't sound right. I asked for a copy of what I signed that informed if that. She said if I had more questions the office could answer them I was never called.

Yeah..that sounds really dicey with her license.

Huge red flags. I would be running from that gym. The minute someone tells me not to take my child to her doctor, that will be the first thing I do.
I wonder if there are any USAG rules about this for gyms. They have to be involved in this set up.

1. Leave that gym
2. Write everything out, compile any documentation, and report this PT to their licensing board.
3. Future coaches do not have a say in your child’s medical treatment. See a doctor for injuries so they can write an appropriate PT script.
I don't have any of the be paper s I was given as they were misplaced in a move. I suppose they could just delete the files and say she wasn't there....kind of like they already said....

Oh, ugh! A coach at our old gym did that to one of the girls and she still has problems from that injury 2 years later. My kid never had that coach at that time, but it spawned yet another round of "A coach is never allowed to hurt you. Stretching might be uncomfortable, but it shouldn't HURT and if you ever ask a coach to stop and they don't, get up and walk out and they can deal with your momma. What is wrong with these coaches??

With the hundred red flags, I'd be reporting the PT to the licensing board and the gym to SafeSport. If the PT is refusing to cooperate, I don't think you have many other options.

Oh, ugh! A coach at our old gym did that to one of the girls and she still has problems from that injury 2 years later. My kid never had that coach at that time, but it spawned yet another round of "A coach is never allowed to hurt you. Stretching might be uncomfortable, but it shouldn't HURT and if you ever ask a coach to stop and they don't, get up and walk out and they can deal with your momma. What is wrong with these coaches??

With the hundred red flags, I'd be reporting the PT to the licensing board and the gym to SafeSport. If the PT is refusing to cooperate, I don't think you have many other options.
Been three years and DD had to way stay in top of PT, she got away from it for a few weeks and ended up hyper extending her knee during g her tumbling pass. Quarantine been good for PT but no tumbling, etc.

DD was up on panel mats in an oversplit and the coach was pushing on her. The muscle was torn from the bone in the hip and down into her leg.

Ok... that's not good. Our club no longer pushes athletes down to stretch them. It is an expectation that all athletes will work hard to become flexible.

[/QUOTE
This gum was super toxic and dysfunctional. You don't know even the tip if the iceberg here.

DD was crying and the coach said it is supposed to hurt. HC came by and asked if she should be back like that. The coach said she over stretched herself. DD didn't , the coach was pushing on her and was pushing from above DD, not from the side or by lifting and the back leg incrementally.

It doesn't matter if the PT was "volunteering" or not. If she was acting in her role as a licensed PT, she should meet the same standard of care as she would for any patient under her care, including documentation of clinical care and releasing those records when requested. And if she was willing to read notes to you over the phone, there is (or was) some documentation (which a lawyer might be able to legally compel her to produce).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back