MAG Teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
We have an unusual gym in that it is very boy focused. They have a few locations and the girls team doesn’t practice with us. Our gym has cancelled rec classes and camps because they have said team retention is where their focus is. So I am feeling lucky.

We have an unusual gym in that it is very boy focused. They have a few locations and the girls team doesn’t practice with us. Our gym has cancelled rec classes and camps because they have said team retention is where their focus is. So I am feeling lucky.
Owners grandson was doing really great this year! My son has been competing again against him.

Owners grandson was doing really great this year! My son has been competing again against him.
Yes, they were all sad they couldn’t finish the season. I guess it’s very valuable to us all that the owners have grandsons and are such supporters of boys’ gymnastics.

Long time!
I think our boys' team is doing fine. I don't think anyone's left. My kiddo is likely moving to JD because he doesn't want all the hours (new middle schooler).
However, I'll be honest...I'm just not sure that my comfort level is there with the reopenings. We've been doing Zoom and have had a few outdoor practices. In-gym starts soon. I'm not very comfortable with the lack of masks. I wish that they were required or strongly encouraged to wear them most of the time, but could take them off when it's really unsafe. (Coaches will wear masks.) We're a very pro-mask family because my husband comes from Japan, so it's so culturally acceptable for us. Right now, the only thing that makes me a little OK with it is the low numbers of positive cases in our area. Though it's all relative. While I was feeling pretty positive about our low-ish daily new cases in our are with a population of about 1 million (spread out quite far), my husband noted that it was the same as Tokyo!!!! Ugh.

Long time!
I think our boys' team is doing fine. I don't think anyone's left. My kiddo is likely moving to JD because he doesn't want all the hours (new middle schooler).
However, I'll be honest...I'm just not sure that my comfort level is there with the reopenings. We've been doing Zoom and have had a few outdoor practices. In-gym starts soon. I'm not very comfortable with the lack of masks. I wish that they were required or strongly encouraged to wear them most of the time, but could take them off when it's really unsafe. (Coaches will wear masks.) We're a very pro-mask family because my husband comes from Japan, so it's so culturally acceptable for us. Right now, the only thing that makes me a little OK with it is the low numbers of positive cases in our area. Though it's all relative. While I was feeling pretty positive about our low-ish daily new cases in our are with a population of about 1 million (spread out quite far), my husband noted that it was the same as Tokyo!!!! Ugh.
My daughter has to wear a mask at dance. It is hard. I don’t see how a gymnast could do it. But the gym is way bigger and can put a lot more distance between athletes than a dance studio can.

My daughter has to wear a mask at dance. It is hard. I don’t see how a gymnast could do it. But the gym is way bigger and can put a lot more distance between athletes than a dance studio can.
My D has worn a mask for gymnastics- even on vault and beam.. she only takes it off for bars rotation, then puts a fresh one on from a baggie in her gym bag.

My D has worn a mask for gymnastics- even on vault and beam.. she only takes it off for bars rotation, then puts a fresh one on from a baggie in her gym bag.
What mask has your daughter been wearing and does the gym require everyone to wear one?
A friend said that her daughter uses a homemade one made from batik for dance class and that the batik was "lighter" than the homemade ones from quilting fabric. I had one made from used batik and I realized it was a bit lighter, so I bought more batik from Joann Fabrics and made my son and two teammates masks from them. My son hasn't given the mask a proper chance yet, though. He won't wear unless others are wearing them. The friends we made them for weren't at the last outdoor practice. *shrug*

No they’re not required, they’re optional. It is just her preference to wear one the whole time. She wears ones from Brooks Brothers- if they’re being truthful they’re very effective, and they’re very easy to breathe in.

We have a gym that is committed to the boys teams. We are top heavy with optional boys with 15 L8-10s. We lost 3 since returning, 2 due to leaving the sport and 1 transferring gyms. So now we are down to 12 optionals for the coming season. We also lost one coach, and are now looking for someone who can train upper levels. The majority of our team remained together training daily by zoom, but they are so happy to be training together again. We reopened in May, so we have gone though the torn up hands phase and everyone is beginning to work on the fun summer stuff. We don’t know what the season is going to look like, but here we have a lot of good competition options within the state. The only questions our parents have will be if we travel to any big invitationals... we usually have 2 per season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back