Parents Can we talk about level 9 (WAG)?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My observation in our region, not having a single bar release in our region is not looked down upon. There are gymnasts with 10+.1 SV without the single bar release. I have even seen gymnasts getting 9.5+ with no major release at all, just bail to handstand, toe hecht and double lay dismount. We have large # of gymnasts in college gymnastics from our region and have very competitive college teams. Kyla Ross did not compete a single bar release in college and she is one the most decorated college gymnasts.

A lot of girls cannot get enough height/distance for the double back straight from a clear hip handstand or similar. That's why they use the giants. You see this when they start to do double lays as well.

Single bar is not required in L10 (or college) but in some regions, not having one is looked down on and scored less, regardless of what the COP says. Still, a clean routine without a fall is better than having a single bar with potential of sloppiness or fall any day
Well, I stand corrected. I asked my daughter why she didn't do her dismount out of the free hip handstand to get the connection bonus. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Well, it is much scarier to do it that way!" :D Shows what I know! Yep, level 9 is just really really hard. In my opinion, it is infinity times harder than level 8! :D:D

Well, I stand corrected. I asked my daughter why she didn't do her dismount out of the free hip handstand to get the connection bonus. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Well, it is much scarier to do it that way!" :D Shows what I know! Yep, level 9 is just really really hard. In my opinion, it is infinity times harder than level 8! :D:D
Yes, for many gymnasts it is a lot scarier. They don't have as much time to prepare and not as much momentum. For some reason, dd always preferred the CH-hs to the giants though. She moved to CH-hs-blind full-double back this past season and was not a fan. Currently looking for other options.

Yes, for many gymnasts it is a lot scarier. They don't have as much time to prepare and not as much momentum. For some reason, dd always preferred the CH-hs to the giants though. She moved to CH-hs-blind full-double back this past season and was not a fan. Currently looking for other options.
My dd did the double back out of a giant in level 8. She recently started working on them out of the clear hip and she said they seem easier to her. She said they feel almost floaty and like she has more momentum/time to flip. So she is a fan. :)

My observation in our region, not having a single bar release in our region is not looked down upon. There are gymnasts with 10+.1 SV without the single bar release. I have even seen gymnasts getting 9.5+ with no major release at all, just bail to handstand, toe hecht and double lay dismount. We have large # of gymnasts in college gymnastics from our region and have very competitive college teams. Kyla Ross did not compete a single bar release in college and she is one the most decorated college gymnasts.
You can’t get 10.0 +.10 in level 9, that is only level 10. You need an E skill to get it, plus .6 in other bonuses, things you can’t get at level 9.

You can’t get 10.0 +.10 in level 9, that is only level 10. You need an E skill to get it, plus .6 in other bonuses, things you can’t get at level 9.

The comment is referring to Level 10, whether a single bar release is required and whether it is sneered at if you don't have one.

my question is this. If the difference between 8 and 9 is huge what is the recommendation of skills to learn and or compete as an 8 to could make that transition to 9 a little less daunting to the gymnast.

my question is this. If the difference between 8 and 9 is huge what is the recommendation of skills to learn and or compete as an 8 to could make that transition to 9 a little less daunting to the gymnast.

My daughter, and most of her teammates, are not having too much trouble with the transition to 9 so far. At level 8, most of them had and competed their double backs dismount on bars and were working on blind and shootover drills on bars. Their coach also wanted them all doing their clear hip hand on high bar. On floor, most competed the 1.5 twist on floor and many had a FLO FT/FP already (the rest competed the FP/FT, but were still working on FLO). On vault, some did the Yurchenko pike and the rest did a tuck. And on beam, those that were solid with their BHS BHS series were also working on their BHS LOSO. My daughter got injured right before her first meet, so she didn't really have much of a season, but she had her BHS LOSO prior to the injury. They all also were working on a level 9 acro skill for beam during level 8 when they had time (BT, front or side aerials, etc). They all also did a switch leap on beam and many connected it to another leap or jump. I think all of these have helped make the transition to 9 easier.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of variability. My youngest daughter competed level 7 last season. She could have competed 8 with minimum requirements, but we thought 7 would be a better experience for her. We saw kids with the exact same skills (e.g., walkover handspring on beam), pirouette on bars but no free hip handstand or other circling skill hitting handstand, use of front handspring vault on level 8, etc. I don't understand what the purpose of competing level 8 with minimum skills would be. Moving from the minimum skill requirements up to 9 would be crazy hard. I guess I can understand if it is an older kid, but in a lot of cases, it was actually younger kids.

There is a huge difference in atmosphere many times... L9's get combined with L10's at many meets nationwide. Going from a L8 session to a L9/L10 session with seniors in high school and every trick in the book flying can be very intimidating. I remember when my daughter stepped into the corner on floor in her first L9/L10 session to warm up... she was 10... she wouldn't go... she just kept letting all of the big kids go.

My dd did the double back out of a giant in level 8. She recently started working on them out of the clear hip and she said they seem easier to her. She said they feel almost floaty and like she has more momentum/time to flip. So she is a fan. :)
That's how my dd felt as well. But apparently that is not the norm.
These types of routines are comparable to single bar releases as they have two transitions and an upgraded dismount. And no doubt they are competitive. I think the comments were relating more toward the bare bone L10 routines.

As for Kyla Ross, there is a lot of debate in the college gym world as to whether she deserved all those high scores and whether the college requirements need to be upgraded to encourage more single bar releases

If BHS on the beam is not in the cards (block for 2 years+), what series options on beam are there for L9. She has been working BT on beam, just cant get past the BHS (also on floor) Plan is for L8 again this year assuming we have meets, but just wondering for beyond that.

I don't understand what the purpose of competing level 8 with minimum skills would be. Moving from the minimum skill requirements up to 9 would be crazy hard. I guess I can understand if it is an older kid, but in a lot of cases, it was actually younger kids.

Before my older daughters level 8 season (she was 13) we had a meeting with her coaches. They told us she could either repeat level 7 and be a rock star(she was 3rd at state and made it to regionals), or push herself to do level 8, knowing it may be a struggle. Since we knew it may be her last season competing, I let her decide. She chose 8, and managed to get it all together by the state meet and qualify to regionals (In TX). If she had kept competing she would have repeated 8 no question, since she had minimum skills that year. Everyone’s gymnastics journey is unique.

Before my older daughters level 8 season (she was 13) we had a meeting with her coaches. They told us she could either repeat level 7 and be a rock star(she was 3rd at state and made it to regionals), or push herself to do level 8, knowing it may be a struggle. Since we knew it may be her last season competing, I let her decide. She chose 8, and managed to get it all together by the state meet and qualify to regionals (In TX). If she had kept competing she would have repeated 8 no question, since she had minimum skills that year. Everyone’s gymnastics journey is unique.
Totally understand given your situation. Doesn’t make sense to me when the really young ones do it. I do understand some of them might be pushing to go elite, but if they have bare minimum 8 skills, it’s unlikely they would be ready for 9 by the next season.

If BHS on the beam is not in the cards (block for 2 years+), what series options on beam are there for L9. She has been working BT on beam, just cant get past the BHS (also on floor) Plan is for L8 again this year assuming we have meets, but just wondering for beyond that.
I did a quick search. Here is a similar question from several years ago. It includes bhs, but many other series as well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back