WAG a new organization?? NGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippin out

Proud Parent
So, apparently someone is trying to start up a new organization to go against USAG. They are calling it National Gymnastics Assoc. When looking at their website I can find absolutely nothing......no information on who is starting this up, who their board members are, what their rules are (other than a download of skills), who their club members are.....nothing of any value at all. What is the deal with this organization? Is this just a backlash organization.......someone pissed off or kicked out of USAG and starting their own so they can compete?

They have that they are going to have their own regionals (for whatever they are calling levels4-10), Atlantic and Pacific Championships (for whatever they are calling level 6-8) and nationals (for whatever their level 9-10 is) ......but no dates, no locations......nothing.

This just seems hastily thrown together and absolutely NO transparency.

Here is their site - https://nationalgym.org/

There are no clubs or dates and loations of the big meets because registration doesn't even open until August 1. They might be waiting to let clubs try to bid to host the big events.
Ok. I get that. But still not comfortable with the amount of secrecy. No information on board members, rules, who’s running the show....is there a president, a Vice President???? If I owned a club I wouldn’t be signing on to an organization with so little transparency.

Ok. I get that. But still not comfortable with the amount of secrecy. No information on board members, rules, who’s running the show....is there a president, a Vice President???? If I owned a club I wouldn’t be signing on to an organization with so little transparency.

I agree. They should have names and contact information. This seems like the beginning of a plan, but that it needs a lot more information.

I didn't look too closely since there was nothing for the MAG side, but someone else mentioned that much of it was "borrowed" from USAG.

I agree. They should have names and contact information. This seems like the beginning of a plan, but that it needs a lot more information.

I didn't look too closely since there was nothing for the MAG side, but someone else mentioned that much of it was "borrowed" from USAG.
Yes. I also wondered how that will work......I mean it's unethical to "borrow" so much from usag, but is it illegal as well?

I spent some time on the website earlier today and the first thing I noticed was the absence of names of people involved. Or really any information whatsoever. And they are trying to get all of this rolling for this upcoming season? Seems like a stretch and not one I would buy into as a gym. Transparency is something the gym world needs a whole lot more of and this is certainly not delivering. One would think some kind of mission statement and list of founders/board members would be the first thing announced.
My details are fuzzy, but I think a few years back as things started to fall apart with USAG a group of pretty notable coaches tried to start a similar organization to replace USAG but I feel like there was some backlash because some people on that board had been higher ups at USAG and very close to the Nassar scandal. I don't know what happened to that group.
I am all for USAG being totally dismantled and replaced, but that whole process would require a ton of time, effort, and a team of really exceptional people putting in really hard work. It's not going to happen overnight or be ready for next season. I can completely see why gyms don't want to give USAG their money for memberships and to compete in sanctioned events, but this seems like a stretch, at least for this year.

I did a little digging at the IN Secretary of State site. It looks like it was just recently registered as a legal nonprofit entity on June 30 by Linda Barclay.
is it just me? I mean I don't think you should have to dig through Sec of State site to be able to find out who is running the org and who board members are, or if there is a Pres or Vice Pres.......it just weirds me out

I spent some time on the website earlier today and the first thing I noticed was the absence of names of people involved. Or really any information whatsoever. And they are trying to get all of this rolling for this upcoming season? Seems like a stretch and not one I would buy into as a gym. Transparency is something the gym world needs a whole lot more of and this is certainly not delivering. One would think some kind of mission statement and list of founders/board members would be the first thing announced.
My details are fuzzy, but I think a few years back as things started to fall apart with USAG a group of pretty notable coaches tried to start a similar organization to replace USAG but I feel like there was some backlash because some people on that board had been higher ups at USAG and very close to the Nassar scandal. I don't know what happened to that group.
I am all for USAG being totally dismantled and replaced, but that whole process would require a ton of time, effort, and a team of really exceptional people putting in really hard work. It's not going to happen overnight or be ready for next season. I can completely see why gyms don't want to give USAG their money for memberships and to compete in sanctioned events, but this seems like a stretch, at least for this year.
yes. I remember that as well. I believe one the people promoting that "new organization" was Don McPherson. I guess that's why I am leary of any org that doesn't readily make information available as to who their board and pres are. Are the ones behind this latest new org all people that have been suspended by usag? One wouldn't have any idea??? That's what I find extremely sketchy and scary

yes. I remember that as well. I believe one the people promoting that "new organization" was Don McPherson. I guess that's why I am leary of any org that doesn't readily make information available as to who their board and pres are. Are the ones behind this latest new org all people that have been suspended by usag? One wouldn't have any idea??? That's what I find extremely sketchy and scary
This is definitely sketchy. I also remember that they were promoting the alternative organization as a backup that would be ready to step in if USAG was decertified. Then folks started pointing out that the people running it were just the old USAG guard and it quietly slipped away. So a new new organization that's actively hiding who's in charge... not a place I'll be letting my DD get involved with anytime soon.

Well, according to his Facebook post, the Indiana USAG state administrator is leaving his post to join this new organization.

A couple of gyms in our area are also discussing joining this. just wondering what this would mean for state meets and regionals. I guess there would be two separate state meets? Also requirements seem slightly different for optional levels but could be misreading.

A couple of gyms in our area are also discussing joining this. just wondering what this would mean for state meets and regionals. I guess there would be two separate state meets? Also requirements seem slightly different for optional levels but could be misreading.
Wouldn’t be anything different than what there is now with multiple organizations.....like USAG, AAU, USAIGC. Just another org having their own post season

Wouldn’t be anything different than what there is now with multiple organizations.....like USAG, AAU, USAIGC. Just another org having their own post season
I guess my worry is that if our gym joins this organization how would it affect NCAA eligibility? Can't remember where I read this, but I had no idea that AAU's program is NCAA eligible. Is that true?

Reactions: sce
I guess my worry is that if our gym joins this organization how would it affect NCAA eligibility? Can't remember where I read this, but I had no idea that AAU's program is NCAA eligible. Is that true?
Are training programs ever ncaa eligible or not? I thought the eligibility is based on school performance and on amateur status?

Are training programs ever ncaa eligible or not? I thought the eligibility is based on school performance and on amateur status?
I actually have no idea! I guess I just assumed to be eligible you would have to go through USAG's JO program? I just had never heard of any AAU gymnasts competing in college.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back