WAG a new organization?? NGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just shared this with our head coach. She said Linda Barclay ran a virtual competition platform. I'm not sure what that is. Could they be preparing for a virtual season?

She runs Got Scored.

Got Scored offered state meet scores and medals via virtual platform after the quarantine. She also runs a meet production company if I’m not mistaken.

So, I notice that they have a section advertising safesport. That’s all well and good, makes nice PR.....But here’s the problem with that. U.S. Center for Safesport only govern US Olympic and Paralympic NGBs. It does not however protect members of other organizations. Meaning that you (as a athlete for NGA) can not make a claim to The Center and expect that they take action. This is very misleading and gives a false sense of security and reassurance to athletes/families. It slaps a nice sticker on safety for the NGA site but it has no value to their clientele

I see positives and negatives of NGA.
Positives:
1 - all optional routines.
2 - gymnast minimum age to compete is 5 (instead of 4)
3 - Vault OPTIONS begin with Level 4 (instead of Level 6)
4 - Level 6 and Level 7 Floor routines are the same time limit (1:15)
5 - Level 6 and Level 7 Vault they can land on their feet OR back for Tsuk and Yurchenko timers (missing the feet which is more progressive to actually flipping is allowed)
6. A few Level 8 vaults (flipping ones) are potentially eligible for a 0.1 Bonus.
7. Levels 8-10 are eligible for a "Nationals" Meet.
8. Membership is less expensive that USAG.

Negatives:
1. We don't know enough yet.
2. Even though minimum age to compete Level 1 is 5, they have minimum ages trending lower.
Meaning that: Level 1 & 2 = 5 years old, Levels 3 - 6 = 6 years old, Levels 7 & 8 = 7 years old, and Levels 9 & 10 = 8 years old.
3. We don't know enough about ALL the principal players.
4. There isn't enough information out there about the deductions ... they say that the deductions are "consistent" across all levels, BUT there is a listed deduction for a short routine less than 30 seconds but Level 1 and Level 2 are only allowed a maximum of 30 seconds on floor. There is another deduction for fewer than 5 Value Parts on bars, but Level 1 is only required to do 4 skills.
5. The whole "roll out" of the NGA seems sketchy.

I feel like the fact that the bulk of the info is focused around meets sort of misses the point of creating a new organization. USAG has a whole lot of problems, but how they structure their meets and the JO code of points are really nowhere near the top of the list. If you aren't going to be head on addressing the major issues really well, what's the point?

It's like the organisational equivalent of the gym club I mapped out as a child. What did I plan for/focus on... leotards, names, competitive groups, training times. Gymnastics should be about way more than competitions.

I see positives and negatives of NGA.
Positives:
1 - all optional routines.
2 - gymnast minimum age to compete is 5 (instead of 4)
3 - Vault OPTIONS begin with Level 4 (instead of Level 6)
4 - Level 6 and Level 7 Floor routines are the same time limit (1:15)
5 - Level 6 and Level 7 Vault they can land on their feet OR back for Tsuk and Yurchenko timers (missing the feet which is more progressive to actually flipping is allowed)
6. A few Level 8 vaults (flipping ones) are potentially eligible for a 0.1 Bonus.
7. Levels 8-10 are eligible for a "Nationals" Meet.
8. Membership is less expensive that USAG.

Negatives:
1. We don't know enough yet.
2. Even though minimum age to compete Level 1 is 5, they have minimum ages trending lower.
Meaning that: Level 1 & 2 = 5 years old, Levels 3 - 6 = 6 years old, Levels 7 & 8 = 7 years old, and Levels 9 & 10 = 8 years old.
3. We don't know enough about ALL the principal players.
4. There isn't enough information out there about the deductions ... they say that the deductions are "consistent" across all levels, BUT there is a listed deduction for a short routine less than 30 seconds but Level 1 and Level 2 are only allowed a maximum of 30 seconds on floor. There is another deduction for fewer than 5 Value Parts on bars, but Level 1 is only required to do 4 skills.
5. The whole "roll out" of the NGA seems sketchy.
Very helpful! Thanks! So theoretically for a layperson here, could a child who is solidly ready to compete level 8 under usag, compete 9 under this new organization since the requirements are a bit more flexible? I’m just trying to understand. I saw a lengthy list of skills on their page, but it made me dizzy so I closed it. I think some of the gyms here are going to go with this organization, and I’m a little nervous.

well, never mind. It looks like requirements on bars are the same. A release move is required for 9. Then why the push to trend the age groups lower?

Very helpful! Thanks! So theoretically for a layperson here, could a child who is solidly ready to compete level 8 under usag, compete 9 under this new organization since the requirements are a bit more flexible? I’m just trying to understand. I saw a lengthy list of skills on their page, but it made me dizzy so I closed it. I think some of the gyms here are going to go with this organization, and I’m a little nervous.

well, never mind. It looks like requirements on bars are the same. A release move is required for 9. Then why the push to trend the age groups lower?
A gym owner I know told me that the insurance underwriters are the ones who decide the age limits....which makes zero sense to me?? I have no idea why you would want to push them lower.

This is the response that I got from them when I voiced my concern and opinion about the lack of transparency and this is the response I got. I only blacked out my name for privacy. Still a lack of professionalism in my opinion.

Attachments

• CB0AB994-E13E-4800-875A-FA1BDF5597A9.jpeg
    CB0AB994-E13E-4800-875A-FA1BDF5597A9.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 275
Agreed. And I would also point out the two people we DO know, also worked for USAG during the years the abuse occurred. Now, I’m, of course, not saying they knew anything about it, BUT, if USAG as an organization is still “bad,” even though the people who were responsible are gone, doesn’t that apply to them as well? It just seems like a double standard to me.

Agreed. And I would also point out the two people we DO know, also worked for USAG during the years the abuse occurred. Now, I’m, of course, not saying they knew anything about it, BUT, if USAG as an organization is still “bad,” even though the people who were responsible are gone, doesn’t that apply to them as well? It just seems like a double standard to me.
Who are the two people we know of? Is one of them the Barclay woman?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back