Those with Fall Seasons? What is your State Doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Currently in Texas there is only ONE meet on the judges calendar. So although there are dates for fall season here, there is nothing booked or confirmed. Our gym is not competing this fall.

I can't imagine why a gym would host a large meet next competition season given the risk that the meet could be cancelled if there is a big second wave of Covid. It's already been a tough financial period for gyms, why run the risk of losing money on a meet? I'm guessing fewer teams will travel out of state for meets, and fewer teams mean less revenue. Maybe they can sign contracts with venues and equipment rental companies agreeing to return the gym's deposit if the meet has to be cancelled, but they still invest in trophies- typically engraved with the year, and athlete gifts, which would be a sunk cost. I guess there could be a miracle vaccine by the winter, but I'm guessing it'll mostly be in-house meets or very small meets with only a few gyms.
Our gym is thinking in house meets this year. Fine by my kid. She has a lot to learn to get to that next level and needs the time!

If you're from NY, the number of states left to which you can travel without having to quarantine upon your return seems to be shrinking by the day. Unless things get a lot better by spring, I can't imagine most gyms are going to be traveling this year. NY currently has no meets scheduled in 2020. I know the men's coaches have an informal agreement to stay in state, and based on the note on the women's website, I gather discussions are in progress to go the same route.

Meanwhile Michigan is still closed. Some schools are starting as early as August 19th. Unfortunately, with schools starting and flu season coming I just can't see us being moved to phase 5 until later winter. I can't fathom us having a season at all and am just hoping that clubs survive at this point.

Illinois- and no idea. Our team has already decided to not purchase new competition leotards, and the girls are just going to wear their ‘summer’ leotards- which are tank and just say the gym name on them. Since the new rules put in place for youth sports last week I think it’s going to be hard to have any meets beyond maybe small in house ones. This is my kiddos first year as an optional so she’s pretty bummed there won’t be many meets. There is a state meet schedule already up for Illinois- but if those meets happen or not who knows.

Illinois- and no idea. Our team has already decided to not purchase new competition leotards, and the girls are just going to wear their ‘summer’ leotards- which are tank and just say the gym name on them. Since the new rules put in place for youth sports last week I think it’s going to be hard to have any meets beyond maybe small in house ones. This is my kiddos first year as an optional so she’s pretty bummed there won’t be many meets. There is a state meet schedule already up for Illinois- but if those meets happen or not who knows.

My daughter -- a repeat level 8-- is actually excited about NOT competing this year. It's taking so much of the pressure off. I would imagine they can do a sanctioned mobility meet in the spring to get them to 9 for next year.

I’m in NY (Long Island) and know of at least One scheduled local meet. I’ve heard of some gyms with tentative schedules that include travel, but I can’t even imagine that being a possibility right now. Who is going to quarantine for two weeks for a gymnastics meet? Of course that is all pending changes, but I don’t know how you could commit at this point.

A lacrosse team from this region violated the strong statewide recommendation not to travel and went to an out-of-state tournament about three weeks ago. A few people, including a town official who was a team parent, turned up positive afterward. The public and private condemnation was intense. I expect as things get worse, the heat is going to get turned up on quarantining after traveling out of state, so it really wouldn't be worth it to go to a travel meet if you then had to be out of the gym for two weeks afterward.

The first meet I've seen scheduled for NC is in the end of November. The fall compulsory season was pushed to winter (with a March state meet). We haven't heard anything about which meets we will be attending yet.

Interestingly, we have friends in other sports such as baseball and lacrosse that are in full competition season right now from what I can tell. My dd has a friend that just went to Delaware (from NC) for a lacrosse tournament. I was surprised to hear that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back