Parents Masks during practice -suggestions please, not debate

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is level 9 and has also been wearing masks to practice for about 3 weeks. They started with a couple days of shorter practice to see how the kids did, but now back up to 5 hours x 5 days/week. I’m also a RN who used to work in the operating room so I’ve had years of mask wearing to help me help her. Many of the girls wear the paper surgical masks, but she doesn’t want ties and the elastic loop style hurts her ears too much. The coaches also wanted something snug so I went to work on my sewing machine. I found some “athletic jersey” type of fabric (think football jersey like mesh, but less stretchy and smaller holes). I tried a fitted style and a pleated style and she preferred the pleats. I use 2 layers of the fabric, but it’s really quite comfortable. She is older, 13, but she also likes to nibble on her mask a bit. She switches it out if it gets too wet, but it rarely happens with this fabric since it’s quick drying. I used long elastic with a toggle to adjust that crisscrosses over the top and then under her bun and it stays on perfectly. I think once you find her preferred style, frequent changes are unavoidable for the kids that like to nibble on them or those that perspire a lot. That may make the disposable surgical style cost prohibitive. Good luck!

I just purchased headbands that came with free magnetic buttons to hold the masks. I’ll try them this weekend. I also bought a set of masks with adjustable ear pieces and a metal nose frame and those are my favorite (and I’ve tried many styles).

My family has been satisfied with regular cotton masks and our gym doesn’t require them during practice except for entrance, exit and transitions - so I’m not in the market - but I’m still loving these suggestions. It always makes me smile when resourceful people come up with clever solutions for pesky universal problems. I’m not sure why but it kinda makes it feel for a moment like we’re all on the same team in life and we’re all going to win.

So the key test for masks for if they are effective or not is to hold a match in front of your face with the mask on and if you can still blow the match out than the mask is NOT working. I used to wear the buffs for biking, but after the study and my own match test at home I have decided on something else. I think that for gymnastics you would want something fairly flexible that fits your face well but moves with you as you flip around. Has anyone tried the masks from GK? I would think leo material would do the trick. I am not sure they would pass the match test though. Also on the buff study I have already seen several people say that was a flawed study...I think you just have to do the best you can. I like the match test, its simple and very clear one way or another. I am now looking for something more comfortable for my bike riding. I liked the buff because it stayed in place and I would double layer it. I would think that a buff with a section for surgical mask material inside would work but I don't think anyone has invented that yet? Good luck, I know masks get hot and sweaty I also bring several of them whenever I go out so I have a change of mask as necessary.

So the key test for masks for if they are effective or not is to hold a match in front of your face with the mask on and if you can still blow the match out than the mask is NOT working. I used to wear the buffs for biking, but after the study and my own match test at home I have decided on something else. I think that for gymnastics you would want something fairly flexible that fits your face well but moves with you as you flip around. Has anyone tried the masks from GK? I would think leo material would do the trick. I am not sure they would pass the match test though. Also on the buff study I have already seen several people say that was a flawed study...I think you just have to do the best you can. I like the match test, its simple and very clear one way or another. I am now looking for something more comfortable for my bike riding. I liked the buff because it stayed in place and I would double layer it. I would think that a buff with a section for surgical mask material inside would work but I don't think anyone has invented that yet? Good luck, I know masks get hot and sweaty I also bring several of them whenever I go out so I have a change of mask as necessary.

I just had my son try this. Of course he was blowing as hard as he could, and on the 3rd try, was able to blow it out. lol. I could not blow it out just blowing regularly. lol

Also regarding "breathability". Not for a debate. Folks who wear masks wear them for various reasons.

Sometimes I mask for protection/protecting others, work, stores, places where distancing is likely an issue. I wear a better protective mask.

Other times I wear one because they are "required" and there might be very brief periods where distancing could be an issue (in a area that has a low positive rate), beach, park, hiking trails, when I am biking. Places where there are people but distancing is not usually an issue. I wear a more breathable mask/gaiter.

Situations change, so my masking changes.

I always have both available.

Just food for thought.

Also regarding "breathability". Not for a debate. Folks who wear masks wear them for various reasons.

Sometimes I mask for protection/protecting others, work, stores, places where distancing is likely an issue. I wear a better protective mask.

Other times I wear one because they are "required" and there might be very brief periods where distancing could be an issue (in a area that has a low positive rate), beach, park, hiking trails, when I am biking. Places where there are people but distancing is not usually an issue. I wear a more breathable mask/gaiter.

Situations change, so my masking changes.

I always have both available.

Just food for thought.
I have a few different styles available at all times too. I have surgical masks, 3 layer woven cotton masks, gaiters, and bandanas that I fold and tie in back (this is for in my home when I am having an appliance serviced or the cable guy is here to fix the internet ... since they are required by their work to wear masks and the companies ask us to do so too). I keep each one in an individual ziplock baggie.

My daughters gym is quite small so they wear masks before practice (when entering the building and waiting for practice to start) and then take off their masks when practice starts and just social distance.

My daughters gym is quite small so they wear masks before practice (when entering the building and waiting for practice to start) and then take off their masks when practice starts and just social distance.
We are lucky this month ... YG's group is just her, LSS, and LBHG - and they all live together, so they don't have to social distance. The other group at the same time also has 3 girls that live together (or practically do) so they also don't have to distance as much from each other as they do from the rest of their group.

Update: Suggestion of paper mask was easy to try (DH found a pack at Target) and daughter is happy with those. We send her with 2 extra in her bag. She tried these paper masks out last week and thought they were definitely cooler than the cloth. This week no practice at all due to heat wave.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I still want to try the lipstick protector cage myself, if I get around to ordering those I will update.

This is a situation where she is wearing a mask in order to comply with a local health department general order and for no other reason. Other mitigation practices were already to everyone's satisfaction, which is why gym initially did not require masks during practice but now have to.

My Under Armor mask just arrived today (after being backordered for quite a while) and my initial review is very positive. It looks thick, but when you are wearing it it's super light and breathable. I'm optimistic!

My Under Armor mask just arrived today (after being backordered for quite a while) and my initial review is very positive. It looks thick, but when you are wearing it it's super light and breathable. I'm optimistic!
Good to know! Hopefully mine will be here soon!

I personally use the Under Armour mask. I just got it and I do like it, but I do feel it’s a little harder to breath in than cloth or paper masks. I teach dance and have tried a lot of masks and this one does wick moisture away from breathing but based on my experience I can’t imagine having my daughter wear it in the gym because it conforms to your face and I don’t feel that any air comes in from the sides, so it feels harder to breath in. Hope this helps because the masks are $$.

My sister is one of the people who should NOT be using masks per her doctor ... but she works in a child care, so she HAS to wear one (she is also a home health aide and has to wear one there too unless the client asks her not to). She just found Norwex masks and she said that it is great!!! It is breathable, but still works.

My daughter says her vision is obstucted particularly on beam and bar and this sounds really dangerous to me. Plus I worry about the mask slipping mid-skill. Anyone notice this as problem? The last thing I want is for her to compromise her physical safety in the an effort to reduce COVID risk.

My daughter says her vision is obstucted particularly on beam and bar and this sounds really dangerous to me. Plus I worry about the mask slipping mid-skill. Anyone notice this as problem? The last thing I want is for her to compromise her physical safety in the an effort to reduce COVID risk.
I would think she needs a mask with a better fit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back