Parents Anyone gone back to school in person yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are paid for 9 months, but can elect to spread that out over 12 months so that we are paid the same each month. In my district, my contract is for the 9 months, but I get 12 pay checks.
Yes, that’s basically the same for us, except he gets paid bi-weekly instead of monthly.

Not to take this off topic, but are US teachers not paid during Summer vacation???

They only get 9 months of pay?
In many districts, the pay is spread out over the whole year (usually 26 paychecks), but it is basically 9 months worth of pay. Where I went to school, many of the teachers had "side jobs" as farmers, insurance agents, librarians, or (for at least 2 of them) actors. We also had teachers who were involved in local government at the township / village / city / county level. Our Industrial Arts teacher was the mayor of my village for 20 years.
The only teachers who got paid for teaching in the summer were those who taught summer school - but that was only 2 weeks long.

That is really sad to hear. To get more rock star teachers, you need successful people to chose the profession. If they are only paid for 75% of the year, a lot of capable people will choose something else.

Our teachers get 12 weeks of paid holidays each year. Genuine pay, not their wages for the 40 week school year spread out. And it works out fairly because it would be very unusual for a teacher to work only 38 hours like a traditional working week.

That is really sad to hear. To get more rock star teachers, you need successful people to chose the profession. If they are only paid for 75% of the year, a lot of capable people will choose something else.

Our teachers get 12 weeks of paid holidays each year. Genuine pay, not their wages for the 40 week school year spread out. And it works out fairly because it would be very unusual for a teacher to work only 38 hours like a traditional working week.

Some people here talk a lot about us being lazy, and really not deserving of the money we get. (wtih all the days off we get an all). It is really sad. I would love a 40 hour work week, or maybe not taking a job in teh summer just to help.

Some people here talk a lot about us being lazy, and really not deserving of the money we get. (wtih all the days off we get an all). It is really sad. I would love a 40 hour work week, or maybe not taking a job in teh summer just to help.
I'm not a teacher, but I come from a long line of teachers and this type of talk enrages me. I cannot believe all the negativity that has been spewed toward teachers at this time. As if teachers are responsible for any of this.

We now have a news report of one student case in the “jump start” program and several adult cases in the district office. Our school board says it is relying on the board of health to notify exposed persons. The board of health’s policy is to defer to the school or business where the exposure occurred. So the public has no idea whether, how, or by whom exposed persons were notified.

We now have a news report of one student case in the “jump start” program and several adult cases in the district office. Our school board says it is relying on the board of health to notify exposed persons. The board of health’s policy is to defer to the school or business where the exposure occurred. So the public has no idea whether, how, or by whom exposed persons were notified.
You must be near me :). I’m not in that county but in a county near it that goes hybrid starting Monday. Hopefully they have it set up so the student didn’t spread it....I guess it will test if there procedures work

You must be near me :). I’m not in that county but in a county near it that goes hybrid starting Monday. Hopefully they have it set up so the student didn’t spread it....I guess it will test if there procedures work

We are the only county in our metro area that hasn’t gone 100% virtual.

We are the only county in our metro area that hasn’t gone 100% virtual.
Ok maybe not. We’re sorta rural all the big counties near us are doing all virtual but one county is offering 5 full days for students or virtual and they had a case in their jumpstart program so thought that might be your county.

Ok maybe not. We’re sorta rural all the big counties near us are doing all virtual but one county is offering 5 full days for students or virtual and they had a case in their jumpstart program so thought that might be your county.

Okay, I think I figured out where you are! We definitely could be neighbors. School names are a big issue in our district, if that gives you another clue. We are in for a wild ride this fall.

My heart goes out to all teachers, especially in this time.
I have my BSED in Elementary Ed and my MEd in Secondary Ed. I was triple licensed to teach grades 7-12 in Math, Social Sciences, and English Language Arts.
I have only met one lazy teacher in my life. This includes all the teachers I have encountered as a student (pre-K-12th grade in 15 schools where I had 57 teachers ... and as an undergrad for almost 10 years with a lot of professors) and as a teacher in training plus as a tutor working with teachers to be better able to help my students.
The lazy teacher retired at the end of the school year that she had me in her class ... and YES, it was my fault. :rolleyes::eek::cool:

I know so many teachers that aren't lazy. For many, this spring was a surprise that they never fathomed ever being a possibility. Some teachers were able to formulate a plan that worked and they were on it. Others started with a plan, but it wasn't working so they had to change it.Still others were just trying to get through it.
I know that in our local district, teachers were working on ideas for "just in case" for this fall. We have pushed back the start of school from Aug 24 to Sept 8, which is perfect because our Independent Fair always ends on Labor Day and they used to always start after the fair until 6 years ago. Then the kids would go to school for 4 days and then have the week of the fair off before going back. It never made sense to me.
The delay is going to allow the teachers 12 "Teacher Work Days" to make sure everyone is on the same page as to the programs they are using - Last year even before the pandemic, some teachers were using Schoology, and some were using Google Classroom, and a few were using both for different things. This made it hard on everyone when we made the transition to remote learning. This year, everyone will be using Google Classroom.

We are paid for 9 months, but can elect to spread that out over 12 months so that we are paid the same each month. In my district, my contract is for the 9 months, but I get 12 pay checks.
That’s an annual salary

No they get an annual salary. Teachers are not hourly workers.

They get to chose how that annual salary is paid out. Some chose to get that annual salary, more money each check, but less checks through out the year. Others chose less money per check but checks issued for the whole year.

They are not paid 75%

[
No they get an annual salary. Teachers are not hourly workers.

They get to chose how that annual salary is paid out. Some chose to get that annual salary, more money each check, but less checks through out the year. Others chose less money per check but checks issued for the whole year.

They are not paid 75%

What do you mean? I ONLY get paid for 9 months. I have a contract that states my contracted salary, my weekly pay, and my hourly wage. So, I do only get paid for 75% of the year. I do NOT get 12 weeks of paid vacation. You can call it an annual salary, but I do only get paid for 9 of 12 months......

In addition, what many teachers are worried about, is that if we do have to quarantine (not school based, but maybe if our spouse gets sick), who covers out time out? We get *9* days a year annual leave. THen we get docked per hour that we miss due to any reason.

ANd the original question was:
Not to take this off topic, but are US teachers not paid during Summer vacation???

They only get 9 months of pay?

SO the answer is....TEachers are NOT paid for summer vacation although we can elect to spread it out (that is not the default). And YES, we only get 9 months of pay.

I teach a class at a large, public university. Not exactly the same situation as grade school (although I have many friends who do teach k-12 and my heart goes out to them, they're all working incredibly hard in an extraordinarily difficult situation.) I know for us, all we wanted was enough notice that classes would be going online so we could spend our (unpaid for many, like me) summers creating excellent online versions of our courses. The spring was a mess because we were given no notice and had to make the transition in a matter of days. However, the school was worried that choosing to go all online would drop enrollment and lose them money. So they insisted that we open partially in person and we're already seeing large numbers of cases and way too much partying.

So now we're right back where we started. Teachers are trying to prepare to transition to online teaching after already spending the summer making a brand new hybrid course, all while simultaneously teaching their class, and, for me and many others, navigating other jobs as well. I'm sure if my online course turns out to be less than perfect there will be parents out there who write me off as lazy, but in reality I've easily done several times the work I normally would to prepare to teach. Not to mention teachers are also human beings who need to do things like care for their own families and safeguard their mental and physical health.

My college freshman moved into her residence hall last Thursday and started classes on Monday. Some are in person, some hybrid, and most are prepared to go remote at any given time due to the virus and the behaviors of college students. Mask compliance on campus is very high (and is mandatory), as is social distancing. Off campus, well, that's a different story. She knows that to succeed and stay on campus for the fall semester, she needs to follow the stated guidelines and be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Hoping it all works. We'll see. Many colleges started their semesters only to watch the parties push the situation past manageable and into completely unsafe.

K-12 in our district is scheduled to be remote. The admin teased us with the possibility of hybrid, getting DD17's hopes up for some semblance of a senior year, then the school board laid the hammer down. A lot of parents are seriously angry, especially since the tone of the town hall was optimistic, then one week later, the board decided to go remote. We will deal. We are fortunate that DH is an engineer and can help with the math/science, and I have the rest covered. As hard as the teachers work, and they do work extremely hard, some kids just don't engage in an online situation. DD17 is pretty reserved and doesn't like to speak up even in a regular class. She will have to push herself outside her comfort zone to make this work well. We start 9/8 and have received no further information from the district about how we should be preparing. I hope our internet can handle 3 students and one engineer all straining the bandwidth at the same time.

Interestingly, the district to our west is also all remote, but the district to our east (2 miles from my house) is in person. And they are school of choice. Need I say more? I spoke with a friend whose kids go to Catholic high school. Yep, enrollment is WAY up this year. I'm guessing the Lutheran and charter schools are much the same.

[

What do you mean? I ONLY get paid for 9 months. I have a contract that states my contracted salary, my weekly pay, and my hourly wage. So, I do only get paid for 75% of the year. I do NOT get 12 weeks of paid vacation. You can call it an annual salary, but I do only get paid for 9 of 12 months......
ANd the original question was:

SO the answer is....TEachers are NOT paid for summer vacation although we can elect to spread it out (that is not the default). And YES, we only get 9 months of pay.

So you are unemployed over the summer. Kind of like a seasonal worker.
Perhaps your individual is different from the ones I am familiar with?

Do apply for and collect unemployment?
Do you have to reapply for your job or be reinstated in any way?
And do you have to reapply for your job at the beginning of the school year?
If you have the option to be paid over 12 months your salary is an annual salary. Annual meaning year.,

There is a difference between a true contract employee and employees who are union members with a union negotiated contract for its members.

In my profession, some labs I have worked in have been union with contracts. Some non union making me an at will employee.

Again, many teacher acquaintance, friends.... I have 6 (yes 6 SILs) who are teachers. They get an annual salary. Depending on their district and negotiated contract that annual salary can be paid.based on the school calendar or 12 months. Some even can take their summer pay in a lump sum. I have a couple friends/SIL choose that option to pay for their summer beach rentals.

They also have in their contracts times they “must“ be in the building. So example in our distric, the elementary school teachers must be in the building on school days 8:30-3:30. student hours are 9-3. They are welcome to come in early or stay late, but they can not be forced to be there outside their contract hours.
So for things like open house that requires them to be at school in the evening or parent teacher conferences, that is negotiated in their contract and those hours are accounted for elsewhere..

I have one SIL (she teaches in our district) who like to keep work at work.She gets in the building earlier then required and does no prep, planning, grading etc... at home. Other teachers might choose to stay later. so e would rather be in building as little as possible and do their grading while at their kids soccer practice.

And then there are some who won’t give one minute beyond those contracted hours. We had an issue at our elementary school. The 4th grade class trip has always been the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. I have a 26 yr old, really as far back as I can rember this has been a thing (ecception closed due to 9/11).
The year my kid was in 5th grade the trip was in danger of being canceled. The rule is the whole grade does the trip or no trip. It’s a long day. You at school at 7am to board buses, not back at school Until 6pm. That year a couple of newto 4th grade teachers, would not go on the trip. Why? Because their contact says they only have to work 8:30-3:30. So they had no intention of going.so if they weren’t none of the 4th grade was. Thankfully my daughters 5 th grade teacher and her friend (Also 5th grade). Swapped classes for the day. The only work what my contract says teachers took their classes for the day and the 5th grade teachers did the trip. This is a true story. You can’t make this up.

There are hours and days you are contractEd to be in the building and then there is their salary which is annual.

SO the answer is....TEachers are NOT paid for summer vacation although we can elect to spread it out.

if you can be paid for 12 months. It’s an annual salary

So you are unemployed over the summer. Kind of like a seasonal worker.
Perhaps your individual is different from the ones I am familiar with?

Do apply for and collect unemployment?
Do you have to reapply for your job or be reinstated in any way?
And do you have to reapply for your job at the beginning of the school year?
If you have the option to be paid over 12 months your salary is an annual salary. Annual meaning year.,

There is a difference between a true contract employee and employees who are union members with a union negotiated contract for its members.

In my profession, some labs I have worked in have been union with contracts. Some non union making me an at will employee.

Again, many teacher acquaintance, friends.... I have 6 (yes 6 SILs) who are teachers. They get an annual salary. Depending on their district and negotiated contract that annual salary can be paid.based on the school calendar or 12 months. Some even can take their summer pay in a lump sum. I have a couple friends/SIL choose that option to pay for their summer beach rentals.

They also have in their contracts times they “must“ be in the building. So example in our distric, the elementary school teachers must be in the building on school days 8:30-3:30. student hours are 9-3. They are welcome to come in early or stay late, but they can not be forced to be there outside their contract hours.
So for things like open house that requires them to be at school in the evening or parent teacher conferences, that is negotiated in their contract and those hours are accounted for elsewhere..

I have one SIL (she teaches in our district) who like to keep work at work.She gets in the building earlier then required and does no prep, planning, grading etc... at home. Other teachers might choose to stay later. so e would rather be in building as little as possible and do their grading while at their kids soccer practice.

And then there are some who won’t give one minute beyond those contracted hours. We had an issue at our elementary school. The 4th grade class trip has always been the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. I have a 26 yr old, really as far back as I can rember this has been a thing (ecception closed due to 9/11).
The year my kid was in 5th grade the trip was in danger of being canceled. The rule is the whole grade does the trip or no trip. It’s a long day. You at school at 7am to board buses, not back at school Until 6pm. That year a couple of newto 4th grade teachers, would not go on the trip. Why? Because their contact says they only have to work 8:30-3:30. So they had no intention of going.so if they weren’t none of the 4th grade was. Thankfully my daughters 5 th grade teacher and her friend (Also 5th grade). Swapped classes for the day. The only work what my contract says teachers took their classes for the day and the 5th grade teachers did the trip. This is a true story. You can’t make this up.

There are hours and days you are contractEd to be in the building and then there is their salary which is annual.

Been a teacher for years. I understand how it works.

I do have to be reinstated each year.

I know the definition of annual. That was not the question.

I do work in the summer, outside of my 9 month. My contract is for a set number of days. not for a year.

I spread my paycheck out over 12 months.

I was answering a question about whether or not we get paid for summer. We do not.

I will not argue with you, as i actually am a teacher and do not need you to explain how my job works. And yes, we have every right to not work outside our hours. period.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back