WAG NCAA 20-21

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just saw where AZ State is redshirting their entire swimming and diving team for 2021. I guess pools are closed there for training but gyms are open? I think I had seen some recent videos of Riley McCusker training bars.

I think that is a fear of mine. If everyone gets redshirted, that totally messes up this year's seniors :(

Yes, swimming and diving programs are being adversely impacted. My daughter's team was just informed that the university is not opening up any of their pools this semester so they can't train or compete at all. They haven't taken the red shirt approach (at least not yet) but I can't see how the teams would be ready to compete in January given that they've been out of the pools since March. They've been told that they can continue to train in pools at home if available but that doesn't work so well for the divers. The kids are very unhappy but trying to deal with the news as best they can.

Are swim and dive fall or winter sports? Could they be redshirting because their season was canceled?

I do feel like most sports build in a redshirt year for their athletes. So maybe it really won't affect as badly as it seems. ALl incoming kids might have to redshirt next year due to roster limits, but at least that option is there.

Last edited:
Swim/Dive is considered a winter sport but the kids start training in Sept. and begin competition in October. Conference meets are held after Christmas. Conference championships are in February and NCAA zones/championships are in mid March. So, there's not a lot of time for the kids to get back into form and competition ready assuming the pools are reopened. My daughter will be a junior who is planning on graduating in 4 years so a red shirt year won't help her unfortunately. One teammate was redshirted last year and is graduating this year so this really impacts him. Like I said, the kids understand the reasons why (no locker rooms, no showers, no place to change, limited availability as you can't mask while swimming...) but they don't have to like it.

Swim/Dive is considered a winter sport but the kids start training in Sept. and begin competition in October. Conference meets are held after Christmas. Conference championships are in February and NCAA zones/championships are in mid March. So, there's not a lot of time for the kids to get back into form and competition ready. My daughter will be a junior who is planning on graduating in 4 years so a red shirt year won't help her unfortunately. One teammate was redshirted last year and is graduating this year so this really impacts him. Like I said, the kids understand the reasons why (no locker rooms, no showers, no place to change, limited availability as you can't mask while swimming...) but they don't have to like it.

I think that last sentence is the one for everyone. We all understand it, but we do not have to like it! :)

Just curious, we don’t have college sports like you do in the US. But from things I have heard, does redshirting mean that those athletes will repeat a year of college, or be held back a year In order to be eligible to compete another year?

Just curious, we don’t have college sports like you do in the US. But from things I have heard, does redshirting mean that those athletes will repeat a year of college, or be held back a year In order to be eligible to compete another year?
That is the case with middle/high school students and is usually done to give the athlete more time to grow physically and sometimes academically, but with college students, it works differently. They don't "stay back" academically but their eligibility count gets put on hold for a year. In reality, this means that yes, they could take an extra year to finish college, maybe striving for a double major. Or they could begin their graduate studies for that last year, if they graduate in 4 years, as originally planned. Redshirting in gymnastics almost always happens due to injury but in other sports it is often to give the athlete more time to develop, need time to settle into the academics, or often times due to having too many players on the team. College students only get to compete 4 seasons. A redshirt year stops that clock. Most often, you have a redshirt-freshman, which means it's their first competition season but they are actually academic-sophomores.

That explanation was probably clear as mud. sorry. If you google redshirting college, you will likely pull up better explanations.

Oh, and sometimes we talking about redshirting here on CB with younger girls to mean that the gyms are holding the girls back from competing at the level they are capable of. In this case, it's not really accurate but it provides a good correlation to what we are familiar with - holding someone back a year/level.

It does make sense, thank you!

It really highlights the intensity of college sports in the US. The idea that they can only do 4 seasons. Here you can compete in university sports as long as you are a university student even if you have been for 20 years.

It’s all about fun and social connections with your peers. The same with high school sports, you just have to be in High School, doesn’t matter if you repeat grades.

I've heard these gymnasts are on campus: Alabama, ASU, OSU, Nebraska, LSU, Utah, Utah St., Boise St., Florida, UNC, Iowa, Oklahoma. Stanford is apparently staying home for first term, as of now and practicing at their club gyms. Any others?

@Aussie_coach Redshirting preserves a year of athletic eligibility to compete in the NCAA in that particular sport. It does not mean you get 5 years of scholarship, although they can give you an additional year of scholarship in their discretion. Most gymnastics teams do not have an extra scholarship to give because they can only offer 12 in any one year and freshmen are arriving and need funding.

If the athlete attends graduate school in their 5th (or 4th) year, there is no athletic admission assistance like there is with undergraduates.

I've heard these gymnasts are on campus: Alabama, ASU, OSU, Nebraska, LSU, Utah, Utah St., Boise St., Florida, UNC, Iowa, Oklahoma. Stanford is apparently staying home for first term, as of now and practicing at their club gyms. Any others?
UNC is sending their students home this weekend. I am not sure about the athletes, though.

I’ll say it again, even though people don’t want to hear it. Sending students home and closing schools just prolongs this whole thing. Exposure leads to HIT, which means returning to normal. Most people recover (I said most), and college-age students fare better than older adults. So they need to keep the kids on campus and take the time to work through exposures just like other illnesses. We have medicine and treatments that work, other countries have returned to normal with no shutdowns, and if we keep this up, there will be no colleges, sports, or jobs left. My daughter is a college senior, and as she returned to school she said, ‘What’s the point?” Everything she’s worked for in her degree and as a collegiate cheerleader has been cancelled, and she says online classes are pointless as it’s impossible to learn and get the hands-on and practical experiences that they should be getting. All the senior privileges, awards, recognition, etc. that they’ve looked forward to have already been cancelled.

U of Michigan is running voluntary practices and girls are on campus (ironic given the fact the clubs right down the street from them can't train).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back