MAG Minnesota to cut men’s gymnastics :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I saw this on another site, so sad that another program is going away. Does anyone know How many teams are left in D1, and how many need to be in to remain D1? I’m hoping the rest stay the course, it would have great implications for the Olympic team also I’m sure.

MAG is already on NCAA waivers. Here is who is left: Cal, Stanford, Air Force, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State, Army, Navy, Springfield.

THen there are clubs: Washington, NorCal, SoCal, ASU, NIU, Temple, NYA, and Rocky Mountain Pride.

Last edited:
I saw this on another site, so sad that another program is going away. Does anyone know How many teams are left in D1, and how many need to be in to remain D1? I’m hoping the rest stay the course, it would have great implications for the Olympic team also I’m sure.

ANd yes. The implications for our men on the world state are huge. College is where most grow into their own. Now, who knows what will happen. It isn't pretty. And this is me being optimistic right now, as the mom of a L10 senior.

ANd yes. The implications for our men on the world state are huge. College is where most grow into their own. Now, who knows what will happen. It isn't pretty. And this is me being optimistic right now, as the mom of a L10 senior.
ugh! I have no better words right now. Sucks. I pray the rest hold on. And good luck to your son, hoping he has a great year

It seems to be on the verge of extinction as a college sport. Does USAG have any plans to keep college age men in the sport? Male gymnasts seem to peak in their early/ mid twenties, so it makes sense for them to compete in college if they plan to try out for national teams. Maybe something like an age group for 19-23 year olds that can compete amongst other gyms like Level 4-10 does now. although I don’t know how many parents would be willing to pay for college and gymnastics at the same time.

Apparently the Board of Regents needs to vote on the cancellation of the sports. It could be postponed until October, but could be this month. So let's send in comments!
From Mike Burns: The decision to drop four sports at Minnesota, including men's gymnastics, needs Board of Regents approval. The Board is meeting today and will receive the proposal. I spoke to one Regent yesterday and he felt the vote most likely would not take place until next month's Board meeting in October.
I urge anyone and everyone to contact the Board of Regents to express your disapproval of this proposal. This link will take you to a direct line of communication to the Regents. Please engage today!! Thanks.

The cost-revenue model for NCAA sports is irreparably broken. What will we as a society choose to value and save, and what will we let die? I would prefer that we revive the idea of student athletes and competitive college sports as part of a holistic college experience and abandon the corrupt use of (mostly) young men's bodies to make millions for others.

The cost-revenue model for NCAA sports is irreparably broken. What will we as a society choose to value and save, and what will we let die? I would prefer that we revive the idea of student athletes and competitive college sports as part of a holistic college experience and abandon the corrupt use of (mostly) young men's bodies to make millions for others.

AMEN!

Absolutely! It comes down to “what is the purpose of college”? Athletics can absolutely be a great part of the college experience, helping young people become well-rounded, contributing members of society. Using those young people to help sign lucrative television deals so the football coach can be paid $7 million a year should not be.

Now that the Big 10 will play football this Fall (and all other Fall sports), It will be interesting to watch the Minnesota AD attempt to talk out of both sides of his mouth as he defends his decision at the board of regents vote. Economic pressures caused this action due to these "unprecedented times"???? It was already ludicrous that the $80M deficit that was expected due to revenue losses from lack of Football season was going to be somehow helped by the whopping $2.7M annually they would save on cutting these three sports....now that they will receive some revenue from Football TV coverage this Fall, as well as conference payouts from Bowl money and potential CFP participation, the argument is even weaker.

The lesson again for everyone is to never let a good crisis go to waste! Sadly, this scenario plays out all over the country where management, administrators, legislators and "power brokers" see the opportunity to justify actions they've always wanted to take in the fog of the "new normal." Its a travesty.

I think this got posted here somewhere else, but this article really made my blood boil. Lesson learned: never give a penny to a college sports program without attaching strings. If I were a donor, I'd be furious. If they did have strings attached, they should pull them hard and take the money from the endowments and give it to GymACT.

I think this got posted here somewhere else, but this article really made my blood boil. Lesson learned: never give a penny to a college sports program without attaching strings. If I were a donor, I'd be furious. If they did have strings attached, they should pull them hard and take the money from the endowments and give it to GymACT.

W&M is a chihuahua with delusions of being a rottweiler. I don't think W&M has any business being in D1 at all, and if it wants to stay in D1 it needs to drop football and basketball.

Oh, and that gigantic expensive basketball arena? There used to be a big USAG meet there every year, until the college stopped allowing it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back