WAG Service dogs at gymnastics meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anybody have any experience about this? Ill be getting a service dog soon and have concern if people will freak out if i bring him to the meets
For reference the dog is for psychiatric reasons specifically my anxiety and i also have tics and the dog basically gets rid of them while im with him

Where are you located?

Your best best would be to contact USAG (or whatever organization you are competing under) and ask them. Might also be worth consulting a lawyer with expertise in disability law. Probably best to let the meet director know (or rather, ask your coaches to let the meet director know, since it's frowned on for parents/athletes to do that) ahead of time

I have no relevant expertise so don't quote me on this, but my best guess is that if you're in the USA, the ADA would protect your right to have the service dog with you so long as the need is legitimate and the dog is well-trained.

Last edited:
Where are you located?

Your best best would be to contact USAG (or whatever organization you are competing under) and ask them. Might also be worth consulting a lawyer with expertise in disability law. Probably best to let the meet director know (or rather, ask your coaches to let the meet director know, since it's frowned on for parents/athletes to do that) ahead of time

I have no relevant expertise so don't quote me on this, but my best guess is that if you're in the USA, the ADA would protect your right to have the service dog with you so long as the need is legitimate and the dog is well-trained.
Thanks for the info about who should contact meet directors i really appreciate it luckily we are in the usa and we will contact usag ty for the info

Certified service dogs cannot be legally be barred. Carry the documentation with you. A former client trained service dogs and carried the paper work with her everywhere she went. You will probably have less problems if they wear the identifying vest.

Are you a gymnast or a parent? I would be concerned about who would secure the dog while you are competing if you are a gymnast?

Does anybody have any experience about this? Ill be getting a service dog soon and have concern if people will freak out if i bring him to the meets
For reference the dog is for psychiatric reasons specifically my anxiety and i also have tics and the dog basically gets rid of them while im with him
I am sure you know all this, but if it is a trained service dog, it can be anywhere you are. It is an extension of you. The only questions that can be asked are: Do you have the service animal because of a disability and what services does it perform for you. Emotion support animals are completely different because they are not regulated. In the library where I work, we do not allow emotional support animals.

Are you a gymnast or a parent? I would be concerned about who would secure the dog while you are competing if you are a gymnast?
I am a former gymnast and coach. If the poster is an athlete s/he would have to work that out. Certified service animals are kept on leashes and are well trained for many environments.

Is it a trained and certified service animal or an emotional support animal? I think that makes a difference.

Is it a trained and certified service animal or an emotional support animal? I think that makes a difference.
That's the big question. If it's just a pet that helps you, they are not allowed in most places. If they've been through the rigorous service animal training, they're allowed to be anywhere you are.

A regular pet would be extremely dangerous in a meet environment.

I am sure you know all this, but if it is a trained service dog, it can be anywhere you are. It is an extension of you. The only questions that can be asked are: Do you have the service animal because of a disability and what services does it perform for you. Emotion support animals are completely different because they are not regulated. In the library where I work, we do not allow emotiona
He or she will be a completely task trained service dog we are currently working with a service dog trainer

I have seen service dogs out in the completion area at meets, with coach and judge. The only negative to deal with is all of the kids reactions. EVERY gymnast on the floor wants to pet the dog. Once you do some educating(you are going to get lots of questions), it will calm down. And the Covid times should help as there will likely be less people/interaction at meets.

Is the dog at every practice inside the gym? Seeing how the dog behaves with your teammates is one thing, but a large crowd at a meet might be a different story. I'd definitely have the dog on a leash at the very least.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back