Still Out of Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ego248

Proud Parent
I think there was another conversation about this but I can't find it. For those who aren't comfortable sending your gymnast(s) back to the gym but who plan to return at some point. What are they doing in the meantime to stay in shape and maintain skills safely at home? My daughter quit after the season ended prematurely because of the virus but now she says she wants to return. Cases are up in our area and we all just had to get tested and quarantine because my eldest daughter's roommates tested positive so my comfort level has changed. Also, is your gym being supportive? She was competing Xcel Platinum so I hope there may be a little more flexibility since she wasn't a high level gymnast. She does seem to be happier and focusing on doing basics like chin ups and handstands - so no matter what I am glad to see a bounce back in her step so to speak.

My daughter is still out of the gym, and the way things are looking I don’t think we will be comfortable sending her back until mid-2021 at the soonest. Pre-COVID, the plan was for her to train with the combined JO optional/platinum group over the summer and decide whether to compete L6 or platinum in the fall depending on her confidence level. Her gym is small and responsive to individual needs, and I don’t anticipate any opposition to her returning after an extended absence.

Since March, her only exercise has been walking the dog. She’s grown several inches and lost a lot of muscle mass. She has been warned that we will not permit her to return to the gym until she’s invested time in regaining strength and flexibility, as she is prone to overuse injuries. She has finally decided she’s ready to start conditioning, and wants me to work out with her. She is willing to try kettlebells, Les Mills, and maybe BBG. I cannot convince her to do any handstand work and have not seen her upside down in months.

At this point I’m skeptical about her ability to make a successful return. She is swamped with meaningless busywork for school, even with a study hall and no gym. If her IB program is reinstated next year and there is actually meaningful instruction happening, she’ll be even busier. She also struggles with confidence in the gym, and it’s going to be very demoralizing to have to start over from square one. Bars will be the most discouraging. Bars was always her best and favorite event, but right before the shutdown she developed a block on her flyaway. Thanks to her growth spurt, she‘ll have to completely relearn all her timing and gain back even more strength than she lost. It will be a challenge.

My daughter is still out of the gym, and the way things are looking I don’t think we will be comfortable sending her back until mid-2021 at the soonest. Pre-COVID, the plan was for her to train with the combined JO optional/platinum group over the summer and decide whether to compete L6 or platinum in the fall depending on her confidence level. Her gym is small and responsive to individual needs, and I don’t anticipate any opposition to her returning after an extended absence.

Since March, her only exercise has been walking the dog. She’s grown several inches and lost a lot of muscle mass. She has been warned that we will not permit her to return to the gym until she’s invested time in regaining strength and flexibility, as she is prone to overuse injuries. She has finally decided she’s ready to start conditioning, and wants me to work out with her.
She also struggles with confidence in the gym, and it’s going to be very demoralizing to have to start over from square one. Bars will be the most discouraging. Bars was always her best and favorite event, but right before the shutdown she developed a block on her flyaway. Thanks to her growth spurt, she‘ll have to completely relearn all her timing and gain back even more strength than she lost. It will be a challenge.
You may be surprised. My OG retired from gym multiple times. Her final comeback was after a 2+ year break going from Xcel Gold to JO L6. (She was in high school AND she had competed Old L6 before "the great level change," so she could make the jump). She was worried about all the same things. She thought she was going to have to start from scratch. She had a block on her flyaway ... but she also had an on and off fear of going upside down on the beam and her back tuck was an on again/off again skill ever since she landed on her head in Old L6 ... which was part of the reason for her first retirement and her switch to Xcel Gold when she made her first comeback.

Many people have faced this problem by working out at home. We prescribed different workouts together, so as not to lose activity, as well as nutrition. We hoped that it wouldn't last long, but now everyone is used to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back