How is it where you are?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25901
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are in Illinois, which has paused all youth sports as of Friday. Our gym informed us that they will not be closing and will be continuing with business as usual for both rec and team. We are a mask mandated state, and they do not enforce that either, even though they’ve had positive cases within the gym already. We are also in one of the worst hit counties in the state, with hospitals being overrun and positivity rates skyrocketing. Needless to say, we are very uncomfortable with the choices being made and we’ve decided to move on to a safer environment. Unfortunately, my daughter is a level 10 gymnast who has been with the same program for her entire gymnastics journey. My head is spinning with all of it, but my heart knows it’s the right move to make.

We are in Illinois, which has paused all youth sports as of Friday. Our gym informed us that they will not be closing and will be continuing with business as usual for both rec and team. We are a mask mandated state, and they do not enforce that either, even though they’ve had positive cases within the gym already. We are also in one of the worst hit counties in the state, with hospitals being overrun and positivity rates skyrocketing. Needless to say, we are very uncomfortable with the choices being made and we’ve decided to move on to a safer environment. Unfortunately, my daughter is a level 10 gymnast who has been with the same program for her entire gymnastics journey. My head is spinning with all of it, but my heart knows it’s the right move to make.

I’m so so sorry.

In our office , when we get positive COVID results , we (the pediatrician's office) notify the Board of Health, the family and the child's school....there isn't an option to not report it as COVID is considered a reportable illness, at least in our state. The rate of infection by town is reported every week (via the BOH) in the newspaper, with a breakdown of age groups affected ... so if you're in Town A and they report "3 positive cases, age 15" and the schools are saying all clear, you know it isn't. The schools here send notification to all students in an affected class because we're all indoors now in the Northeast.

Not necessarily. Theoretically, those three 15 year olds could be virtual learners and thus the school would not need to make any notifications.

Not necessarily. Theoretically, those three 15 year olds could be virtual learners and thus the school would not need to make any notifications.
Well the "virtual only" learners that we've seen or heard from are doing it so they don't have to leave their houses so I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case but my point was, we notify the Board of health and the schools and it's not an option.

Welp, we just learned of a case of student-to-student spread in my daughter’s high school. Fortunately, the victim’s parent found out about the exposure in her child’s class through the rumor mill, pulled her child from school, and had the child tested. The child was asymptomatic and had not been directed to quarantine as a result of the exposure, so if the parent hadn’t taken action she would have continued to attend school and spend unmasked time in a poorly ventilated classroom less than 3 feet from other students. None of this information came from the school or the health department. The parent took it upon herself to notify the community.

Welp, we just learned of a case of student-to-student spread in my daughter’s high school. Fortunately, the victim’s parent found out about the exposure in her child’s class through the rumor mill, pulled her child from school, and had the child tested. The child was asymptomatic and had not been directed to quarantine as a result of the exposure, so if the parent hadn’t taken action she would have continued to attend school and spend unmasked time in a poorly ventilated classroom less than 3 feet from other students. None of this information came from the school or the health department. The parent took it upon herself to notify the community.

That is so sad, that no one notified anyone. However, I feel that calling the person who contracted it a victim is part of the issue. People don't want to admit that they might have exposed someone so they hide it. People are feeling ashamed if they have covid, like there is something dirty or shameful about getting it. I think we have to change our language or else more people are going to try to hide it if and when they do test.

But yes, the health department should have notified all close contacts, and instructed the school in what to do as far as quarantines.

That is so sad, that no one notified anyone. However, I feel that calling the person who contracted it a victim is part of the issue. People don't want to admit that they might have exposed someone so they hide it. People are feeling ashamed if they have covid, like there is something dirty or shameful about getting it. I think we have to change our language or else more people are going to try to hide it if and when they do test.

But yes, the health department should have notified all close contacts, and instructed the school in what to do as far as quarantines.
I deliberately chose the word “victim” to suit the circumstances. I would not ordinarily call someone unlucky enough to catch a virus a “victim,” but in this case the child truly was the victim of the school’s intentional failure to provide a safe learning environment.

I deliberately chose the word “victim” to suit the circumstances. I would not ordinarily call someone unlucky enough to catch a virus a “victim,” but in this case the child truly was the victim of the school’s intentional failure to provide a safe learning environment.

But, did the child that spread it know s/he had it? And was the child at school with covid knowing s/he had it? Or when s/he was positive, did s/he stay home? I ask this, because if all of this is true, then the 2nd child isn't a victim. She should have been notified, but she was already exposed at that point.

But I do agree that notifications should have been done. However, I htink the health departments are overwhelmed with all the cases, as are schools. Even 1 case in a school produces a ton of work, stress, anxiety, that adds to what is already going on. I am not excusing anyone, but there are so many variables to any exposure notification. That, and really, they should be wearing masks.

Our district's FIRST positive was with a virtual learner. We were still notified via a text with an attached letter from the health department on the school's letterhead.

More of remote only students are positive then our in school students.

As a healthcare worker now traveling the NE. it’s getting uglier lately

Nope, not me. But we will see if they make it now. You can all disregard everything I just said. Governor just locked us down. All indoor youth sports prohibited, along with a lot of other stuff. Through mid December at the earliest, but my guess is through the first of the year. My personal opinion is this is a grave overreaction to the circumstances here which are much better than the vast majority of the rest of the country. There was also no plan to support businesses or families effected with only a vague promise that they are trying to figure it out. I am so mad
Me too! Sounds like we’re in the same state.

But, did the child that spread it know s/he had it? And was the child at school with covid knowing s/he had it? Or when s/he was positive, did s/he stay home? I ask this, because if all of this is true, then the 2nd child isn't a victim. She should have been notified, but she was already exposed at that point.
I had the same reaction to the word “victim” that you did, skschlag. I see the word was used to describe the child as a “victim” of the school, but I definitely initially read it as the child being victimized by the positive classmate.
I have heard many people I know voice reluctance to let others know they have contracted it...they feel like there is a shame or stigma attached.
In the instance above, I would actually be more shocked if multiple classmates DIDN’T end up contracting it, with the conditions described (unmasked, closer than 3 feet, etc). As a parent of a student in that classroom, I would just assume my child would be exposed multiple times, and it would be a matter of when, not if.

Hey, y'all how is COVID-19 where you are? Please tell
Just FYI, a friend of mine and a fellow gymnastics parent works for a company that had been testing a vaccine for COVID. She was not able to say a word to me as the information was confidential. They recently put out a press release so she can now officially talk. Her company's vaccine has gone through testing and has the FDA's approval. Two more vaccines are getting approval soon as well. Starting in January the vaccines will be given out in phases. First phase is for the elderly. Second is for those with health issues that would make them more vulnerable. Third is the frontline workers. Then onto everyone else. I'm not sure if denser areas of population would get it before other areas. I don't know how long each phase lasts. I'm hoping 2021 will see things getting back to a new and improved normal.

I was initially very wary of a vaccine but the information coming out is very promising, I was concerned about risk vs efficacy. The efficacy findings they are reporting, if true would make me much more likely to consider the vaccine and it appears thus far there is a low side effects reported.

How are they able to stay open if gyms and and youth sports are supposed to close?

I was initially very wary of a vaccine but the information coming out is very promising, I was concerned about risk vs efficacy. The efficacy findings they are reporting, if true would make me much more likely to consider the vaccine and it appears thus far there is a low side effects reported.
I am glad that you are willing to say this. The safety and efficacy data is very promising. We really need everyone to get on board with vaccination. Even if individuals are willing to be vaccinated, their life will still be disrupted until most people are vaccinated.

I just want to clarify that while the initial results look incredibly promising and that it's likely that FDA approval occur in the near future, no COVID vaccines have received FDA approval to date. Phase 3 trials for a couple of the vaccines have just recently been completed.
Pfizer applied for EUA today and expects to begin vaccinating in about 3 weeks. Of course it will be months before the vaccine is available to be everyone in the US.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back