Parents Difficult decisions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you have availability to a dance school that is close? Maybe enroll her in dance and do some tumbling classes at her current gym? Just to buy you some time to see if maybe she could enjoy other activities? She is only 7 and 2 hours a day in the car away from your family is a lot!
Honestly, I have flipped and flopped over the decision so much. But I think I have finally decided that the commute is just too much and we will be giving up gymnastics. Looking into dance as one option for sure! Also athletics and swimming as some other options. When I ask her what she wants from a sport she just says to win, which doesnt help me determine what she might like!

My former gymnast took up diving after she was done with gym and did quite well because she already knew the mechanics of twisting and flipping so that would be a nice option.

My youngest took a while to find a sport. We started in Dance and thats a good thing to do even if its not going to be your "sport" I kept asking her about specific sports, field hockey, swiming, tennis, soccer, golf, got all nos then i mentioned Baseball and she said she wanted to try it so we did a week camp to see if she liked it and she did so shes been doing Baseball/Softball since. Once she found her sport she ended up giving up dance which wasnt really her thing to begin with. I would ask her about every sport that is offered in your area and see what sports have small commitment opportunities to try them out. Like a week long camp or a month of lessons before you commit to a season or a big expense. That worked out really well for us and you dont end up arguing with them to finish thier commitment to a season of something that they hate lol.

For what its worth I think you made the right decision we are 15 minutes from gym and I joke if it was any further she would have to quit hahaha. Shes fully commited now at Level 7 so I would be willing to commmit to a longer commute but I tell you what at Level 3 I wouldnt be driving more than 30 minutes not with as many days as you end up having to go.

Honestly, I have flipped and flopped over the decision so much. But I think I have finally decided that the commute is just too much and we will be giving up gymnastics. Looking into dance as one option for sure! Also athletics and swimming as some other options. When I ask her what she wants from a sport she just says to win, which doesnt help me determine what she might like!
Good for you. I hope she finds something she loves to do!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back