Parents Dead period extended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ahh, I guess that makes sense with COVID but it would be quite a challenge for athletes who have been working towards these oppourtunities for so many years! Will Nationals be going ahead as normal in the US this year?

Ahh, I guess that makes sense with COVID but it would be quite a challenge for athletes who have been working towards these oppourtunities for so many years! Will Nationals be going ahead as normal in the US this year?

RIght now it is planned to go on.

My son had to go through recruiting with all of this, and was successful. Coaches get it. They know, and everyone is in the same situation. So, it just looks different from other years. Just have to get creative and somewhat "pushy" and make sure people know who you are. I mean, D had no nationals, no camps, no visits, and no practice for several months!

RIght now it is planned to go on.

I mean, D had no nationals, no camps, no visits, and no practice for several months!

skschlag or others who know about these things . . .

Can you explain more please what are “camps”, or “visits”? We have a thirteen year old with dreams of collegiate gymnastics. Her gym runs a week long summer camp ever year (not last year of course) with gymnasts from the local university but it includes a Thursday sleepover party so I’m not sure it’s the same thing as you are talking about. Visits I suppose are when college recruiters come by the gym to see the girls in action. BTW, who typically visits; the head coach, an assistant coach, a friend of a friend?

skschlag or others who know about these things . . .

Can you explain more please what are “camps”, or “visits”? We have a thirteen year old with dreams of collegiate gymnastics. Her gym runs a week long summer camp ever year (not last year of course) with gymnasts from the local university but it includes a Thursday sleepover party so I’m not sure it’s the same thing as you are talking about. Visits I suppose are when college recruiters come by the gym to see the girls in action. BTW, who typically visits; the head coach, an assistant coach, a friend of a friend?

So, camps are usually on college campuses. If there is a camp at a gym, that includes college coaches and recruitable athletes, from my understanding, more than one gym needs to be there. Soem visits are college coaches visiting gym. But the big ones are official visits when kids get invited to see the campus and visit the coach and team.

So, help me and let me know if i am wrong. But, what about camps at gyms that have college coaches coming as clinicians, and other ncaa coaches that were coming to watch? Will that still be allowed since it not on a campus and multiple gyms/gymnast will be there?

So, help me and let me know if i am wrong. But, what about camps at gyms that have college coaches coming as clinicians, and other ncaa coaches that were coming to watch? Will that still be allowed since it not on a campus and multiple gyms/gymnast will be there?
No. No in person evaluations

No. No in person evaluations
Ouch.. wow that is sad. My daughter isn't recruiting age, but for some kids that could be there only way to be seen. While i do know we are in a pandemic still, but aren't NCAA gymnast competing right now? I know some schools have had some issues, but overall they are competing. It just seems wrong to continue with this dead period right now. Also, although i know some gyms are still not back 100% the majority are.. so i find this quit sad

Ouch.. wow that is sad. My daughter isn't recruiting age, but for some kids that could be there only way to be seen. While i do know we are in a pandemic still, but aren't NCAA gymnast competing right now? I know some schools have had some issues, but overall they are competing. It just seems wrong to continue with this dead period right now. Also, although i know some gyms are still not back 100% the majority are.. so i find this quit sad

Some are, some are not. Some colleges have strict quarantine requirements for leaving the area, so they would not be able to participate at all.

Videos work well. We just did this. My son is a senior this year, so all was done via video, virtual visits, etc. Nothing in person. It was tough, but coaches get it and know the situation. They are adapting too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back