WAG Question on level 6 beam requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

My daughter is a level 6 and in her beam routine she has a double back walkover series and and a separate back handspring. My question is sometimes she pauses between the 2 back walkovers. To get a 10 SV does she need both the series and the back handspring or just 1 or the other? The coach makes it seem like she needs the series even with the back handspring but from what I've read online and seen on you tube that other level 6s are doing you don't have to have a series until 7??

But could the back handspring be the required B skill that she needs in the routine? I think that they need 5 A skills and 1 B skill.

The BHS alone should be sufficient. To my understanding, you either need a BHS OR a series. If she consistently has her BHS, then she doesn’t need so much backwards tumbling in her routine- it could be modified to make sure that she has all of the required skills but not so much tumbling.
However, maybe her coaches are having her compete a routine that she can take with her to L7 and can be comfortable with at that level.

My level 6 does a bhs, no back walkover series and she gets a full start value every time. She does other skills that fulfill the A requirement.

She has 2 different leaps, and a cartwheel back tuck dismount as well. Im thinking he is pushing the series and back handspring for an easy level 7 transition but its stressing her out and giving her serious beam anxiety. I wish he would let her do just the back handspring for now.

She has 2 different leaps, and a cartwheel back tuck dismount as well. Im thinking he is pushing the series and back handspring for an easy level 7 transition but its stressing her out and giving her serious beam anxiety. I wish he would let her do just the back handspring for now.
That likely is the case. We had the same issues on L6. My DD was doing far more difficult beam routines than her teammates. When I asked the coach why they were pushing her to do more difficult routines (and she was scoring lower than her teammates who weren’t doing any backwards tumbling except for their dismount, they said it was to help her transition better to L7. It was the same for bars. She was competing giants when it’s not actually required for 6 or 7.

If it’s causing her so much stress I can’t imagine it’s preparing her for level 7 in the way the coach is hoping- it seems more likely to become a detriment to higher if she’s unable to feel confident in the skills she is doing in competition.

If it’s causing her so much stress I can’t imagine it’s preparing her for level 7 in the way the coach is hoping- it seems more likely to become a detriment to higher if she’s unable to feel confident in the skills she is doing in competition.

SMH, I totally agree with you. She told me she gets so nervous she's actually dizzy before she gets on the beam. Just too much pressure for her. She never had beam fears before he made her do this routine. He insists she needs a series though. Im not sure if he honestly doesn't know or if he just tells her that so she will think this is what she has to compete.

SMH, I totally agree with you. She told me she gets so nervous she's actually dizzy before she gets on the beam. Just too much pressure for her. She never had beam fears before he made her do this routine. He insists she needs a series though. Im not sure if he honestly doesn't know or if he just tells her that so she will think this is what she has to compete.
Oh gosh poor kid! I’m so sorry it sounds incredibly stressful for her. I don’t know the age of your gymnast but I think this is a good example of something it would be totally okay to step in and speak to the coach about. Being dizzy before beam is really scary and it sounds like she’s almost having an anxiety attack. It sounds like the routine she’s doing is way above the requirements of level 6.

Thank you so much for the advice. I've been hesitant to reach out to him but their first real meet is next Saturday and its tearing me up seeing her so stressed and its affecting her love of the sport. I think I will email him Monday and hopefully he will be understanding. He puts SO much pressure on the girls to not fall off beam at a meet that she feels her life is over if this happens. But her confidence on beam is just gone. All she ever tells me is that she knows she won't stay on. Breaks my heart she feels that way. No amount of me encouraging her is helping

Reactions: SMH
I would talk to the coach. It sounds like he is unaware that she is feeling this way. Knowing how your gymnasts are feeling is an important thing to be able to coach them well, no matter how he feels he wants to approach this situation once he knows.

Just wanted to let you all know I followed advice and emailed her coach Sunday. He responded with just 2 sentences. Thanks for letting me know and I'll see what I can do. Lastnight she came home after doing 5 beam routines in a row happy and in a good mood. I didnt ask questions cause I find the less questions asked the less likely we fall down the rabbit hole of negativity (ha) but she was bouncing all over the place so I take that as a good sign. Im sure we aren't completely out of the woods but hopefully that was a step in the right direction. Thanks so much for nudging me to reach out. I needed that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back