WAG Shorts During Competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think in women’s gymnastics there is a lot more dance elements than in men’s gymnastics so this is where the lines come in especially on things like splits. I don’t think I have ever seen dancers wearing shorts over their costumes, they seem to wear more of a dress or skirt and leggings but not shorts.

I agree with this. I absolutely agree that this should be an option. BUT I see a lot of gyms not even offering it or even letting parents and girls know there are options. You wouldn’t believe the amount of gym transfers we get from another local gym because they won’t let the girls wear shorts with their practice leos. I’m sure there were multiple other reasons for leaving, but the no shorts policy is always the deal breaker, and these girls are typically aged 12-14 when the transfer happens.
None of the "serious," "big name" gyms in our area allow shorts at practice. It's interesting. Our gym allows shorts and technically they're supposed to have a "no shorts" practice the week of the meet, but the coaches usually forget, and it's *still* never an issue for them to perform at meets.

A lot of the early teens seem to be sensitive about their bodies at that age. It seems like most of them feel more comfortable in the shorts, but there are also some that feel uncomfortable with the shorts on leotards because on many girls wearing shorts on top of a leotard can make them look and feel fatter. So there can also be an issue of body imagine. For most girls with widening hips the shorts on top of leotards puts a lot of emphasis on the hip and thigh area making it look a lot wider. 3/4 or full length tights solve that problem a little bit and they are a better look which can also give a better line.
I mean, my basic takeaway is that there should be choices for girls. Give them leggings and shorts and tights and let them decide what they're comfortable with.

None of the "serious," "big name" gyms in our area allow shorts at practice. It's interesting. Our gym allows shorts and technically they're supposed to have a "no shorts" practice the week of the meet, but the coaches usually forget, and it's *still* never an issue for them to perform at meets.

I mean, my basic takeaway is that there should be choices for girls. Give them leggings and shorts and tights and let them decide what they're comfortable with.
I agree. I feel like at one point our gym said they didn't allow them for higher levels at all, but that seems to have gone out the window. I am sure that they had the rule about no shorts during meet week also, and yet that also seems to be forgotten. Ever since coming back from the covid break having grown (height and weight) and having started her cycle, my daughter has worn shorts to every single practice. It hasn't been an issue at meets yet either (although she has been lucky so far and hasn't had her period during a meet yet). But she would love the option to wear shorts at a meet for sure. She's 13 and very self conscious now about wearing just the leo. I signed the petition.

I think in women’s gymnastics there is a lot more dance elements than in men’s gymnastics so this is where the lines come in especially on things like splits. I don’t think I have ever seen dancers wearing shorts over their costumes, they seem to wear more of a dress or skirt and leggings but not shorts.
My son has a split in his floor routine. The judges don’t have any trouble judging his split while he’s wearing shorts.

A lot of the early teens seem to be sensitive about their bodies at that age. It seems like most of them feel more comfortable in the shorts, but there are also some that feel uncomfortable with the shorts on leotards because on many girls wearing shorts on top of a leotard can make them look and feel fatter.
And some gymnasts just don't like the feel of the gym shorts. dd hated wearing them during practice. She's in college and still doesn't wear them during practice. So in that regard, I would not want to see an all or nothing rule but am all for the ability for *gymnasts* (not gyms) to choose none, shorts, or leggings

My son has a split in his floor routine. The judges don’t have any trouble judging his split while he’s wearing shorts.
I wasn’t meaning splits on the floor. I was talking about more about split leaps and jumps they are a lot faster and dynamic. It can sometimes be hard to see the split angles and hip alignment in time and the shorts can be a distraction. Without the shorts it is easier to see the movement at the hip joint.

I wasn’t meaning splits on the floor. I was talking about more about split leaps and jumps they are a lot faster and dynamic. It can sometimes be hard to see the split angles and hip alignment in time and the shorts can be a distraction. Without the shorts it is easier to see the movement at the hip joint.
For the record dancers do wear shorts, maybe not so much in ballet but in many other styles/disciplines its incredibly common.

I think if tight shorts are so distracting that you can't judge a split line then you probably need more practice as a judge. Personally I feel like it's actually easier to see the line with shorts, and definitely not a hindrance unless they were like super sparkly or something gaudy.

I think we should differenciate between the shorts the men usually wear for floor and vault, which are not tight fitting, and the tight, spandex shorts female gymnasts wear for practice.
I feel like the men version does prevent the judges from seeing splits angles. It could also be a safety issue on bars (during hip circles in particular). The spandex version, however, are just fine. As a judge who trains in shorts every single day (and so do my teamates), I can see lines, handstands and split angles just fine.
I am very much in favor of shorts being allowed both in practice and competition, as long as they are stretchy and tight fitting.

I don't care about the colour. I don't feel that black shorts look particularly bad even with a coloured leo and gymnasts should not be judged on their look anyway.

I think we should differenciate between the shorts the men usually wear for floor and vault, which are not tight fitting, and the tight, spandex shorts female gymnasts wear for practice.
I feel like the men version does prevent the judges from seeing splits angles. It could also be a safety issue on bars (during hip circles in particular). The spandex version, however, are just fine. As a judge who trains in shorts every single day (and so do my teamates), I can see lines, handstands and split angles just fine.
I am very much in favor of shorts being allowed both in practice and competition, as long as they are stretchy and tight fitting.

I don't care about the colour. I don't feel that black shorts look particularly bad even with a coloured leo and gymnasts should not be judged on their look anyway.

I agree with this 100%. I rarely see girls in the gym wearing loose shorts these days anyways (rip Soffe shorts) so I think most girls would opt for the tight shorts over loose ones anyways and I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to allow. I'm still confused why anyone would be against this tbh.

Even if this passes and shorts are allowed, it will still be up to the gym to decide competition attire. As most gyms like a uniform look, I doubt many gyms will allow the option of purchasing shorts and having some in shorts and others not. I prefer the leotard only aesthetic, but I’m not opposed to shorts at all. My DD does not like wearing shorts at this point and is one of the few in her group who do not wear them to practice in. She finds them to be uncomfortable.

I know that it would be thoroughly appreciated by many gymnasts if this became an available option. Many gymnasts do not feel comfortable, or modest in just a leotard, for personal and religious reasons.

I know my older daughter’s absolute favorite thing about getting to college club gym was competing in shorts for the first time. She said she was just so much more relaxed.

Oddly enough, my younger daughter always wore shorts to gymnastics practices and hated competing without them. Then she became a dancer and shorts and skirts are now allowed in rehearsals all the time- and most of the time she chooses to not wear them (though she nearly always performs in a tutu or full costume). But then she started a recreational tumbling class a few months ago, and she always wears leggings there, right over her ballet leotard and tights (she goes directly from an 8 hour day at the studio to the 1 hour rec class). It’s weird how they each make her feel different. I think it should always be the gymnast’s choice- maybe it’s time for the judges and coaches to adapt to the girl’s having agency over the choice for a change- leo only, leo and shorts, or leo and leggings.

Wow, someone is doing a whiz bang job making these kids feel comfortable in their own bodies............
Any chance that might be a better solution?

My kids are incredibly comfortable in their own bodies- I would say definitely more than average by a fair margin. My younger daughter is in a leo 6 days a week for up to 8 hours per day (ballet), and my older daughter dances and does gymnastics.. but I just want to have the choice, and when they’re on their period they’re more comfortable with shorts (or a ballet skirt)- that in no way means they’re not comfortable with themselves.

Wow, someone is doing a whiz bang job making these kids feel comfortable in their own bodies............
Any chance that might be a better solution?

Sure. Let’s ‘empower’ our girls by encouraging them to feel more comfortable in less clothing than they actually want to wear.

And that is without even thinking of the practicality of your suggestion. Unless you are suggesting totally revolutionising society by completely destigmatising the occasional appearance of an unruly pub ic hair or spot of menstrual blood, in which case power to you, I suspect that shorts are probably a more achievable (in the short term, at least) way to make girls feel more comfortable.

An outspoken older gymnast at my daughter’s gym last week announced that as she was on her period, she was planning to wear shorts at the competition on the weekend. Her coach said ‘sure, but if the judge is having a bad day you might get a deduction’. And this girl pretty much responded ‘whatever, better than not competing at all’. She wasn’t going to let anyone make her strip down to a point where she was uncomfortable. It was probably a good exchange for the younger gymnasts to witness.

'Sure. Let’s ‘empower’ our girls by encouraging them to feel more comfortable in less clothing than they actually want to wear.'
The fly in the ointment here is the word 'want'. If they don't 'want' to wear something then I would probably say they shouldn't. However, I'd probably want to look at the underlying reasons for not feeling comfortable. I'm lucky enough to know several people that would be equally comfortable in a Burka or bare naked. They have what I call 'enlightened minds' and they are probably the most 'powerful' people I know. I strive myself to be so comfortable with myself and the world that that would be possible.
'Unless you are suggesting totally revolutionising society by completely destigmatising the occasional appearance of an unruly pub ic hair or spot of menstrual blood'
Wouldn't that be great? And yes, I do my best.
Me: "what do you think is more natural? A bloody nose or a period?" The answer is always unanimous,
Them: "a period".
Me: "are you ever embarrassed or ashamed when you or someone else gets a bloody nose?"
Them: 'no'.
Me: "then why should a period or accident be any different?"
Them: blank looks followed by "I don't know, I've never looked at it like that."

At our State meet this year I had a girl on floor. With 15 to 20 seconds to go I noticed she was having some issues. I had a brief thought of stopping the routine, but realized it was almost over and she surely must have been aware of the problem herself and made the decision to continue. After the routine I greeted her as she was coming off floor.
Her: "that was the best routine of my life!!"
Me: "I'd have to agree, well done!" high five "you know you sprung a leak?"
Her: "yeah I know, it's just that my routine was sooo good!"
Me: "well good job. go get that taken care of and meet us on vault."
Her: "will do!" smiles as she goes.

She went on to win floor, beam, and the AA. What should I have done differently? Told her omg that's the most embarrassing, horrible, humiliating, tragic, life altering, shameful thing I've ever seen? Told her there would be no way she could finish the meet after bringing shame upon herself, family and coaches? I don't think so. We've never spoken of it since it happened and I wouldn't have remembered if it wasn't for this thread. Why would I? Stuff happens, move on.

As for shorts and my girls, I'm an extremely cooperative coach in my approach. I couldn't imagine one of my girls ever wanting to wear them, but if they told me that would make them feel better I'd support it 110% and never look back.

'Sure. Let’s ‘empower’ our girls by encouraging them to feel more comfortable in less clothing than they actually want to wear.'
The fly in the ointment here is the word 'want'. If they don't 'want' to wear something then I would probably say they shouldn't. However, I'd probably want to look at the underlying reasons for not feeling comfortable.
There is so much wrong with this. It is not womens' (or little girls' for cripes sake!) jobs to display their bodies for others. If someone says they would prefer to wear something with more coverage it is not ANYONE'S job to try to convince them that if they were comfortable with their bodies they would want to display them. Or to suss out if the reason they want more coverage is "good enough."

As a woman and mom of an athlete, that whole sentiment made me physically cringe. Girls and women all over the world are saying that they want more options so that they may compete in what they are comfortable in. They should be the boss of their bodies and what happens to their bodies and what goes on their bodies. Period. They fact that so many other people really think they deserve an opinion about it truly highlights the problem they are attempting to fight.

There is so much wrong with this. It is not womens' (or little girls' for cripes sake!) jobs to display their bodies for others. If someone says they would prefer to wear something with more coverage it is not ANYONE'S job to try to convince them that if they were comfortable with their bodies they would want to display them. Or to suss out if the reason they want more coverage is "good enough."

As a woman and mom of an athlete, that whole sentiment made me physically cringe. Girls and women all over the world are saying that they want more options so that they may compete in what they are comfortable in. They should be the boss of their bodies and what happens to their bodies and what goes on their bodies. Period. They fact that so many other people really think they deserve an opinion about it truly highlights the problem they are attempting to fight.
They do have options and now they have more. I don't see what's wrong with that. My point is that being comfortable with your body includes your height, weight, hair, IQ, eye and skin color, everything that makes you special and unique. When you can be comfortable with who and what you are, you've pretty much won the game of life. I don't want to give the power to other people as to how I'm going to feel. That's for me to decide. I don't and I don't want my girls to feel like they have to live up to any standard other than their own.

As for shorts and my girls, I'm an extremely cooperative coach in my approach. I couldn't imagine one of my girls ever wanting to wear them, but if they told me that would make them feel better I'd support it 110% and never look back.
I also shook my head reading your post.
As I have mentioned before, there are so many girls who transfer to our gym from other gyms right around ages 12-14 solely because their old gyms have a no shorts policy and we have a shorts highly encouraged policy and it’s a high priority for many. At our gym, it’s really not about modesty with wearing shorts, it’s coach/gym owner preference because they don’t like touching sweaty body parts when spotting. They don’t even like open back Leo’s.
It’s probably more of a big deal than you realize and I hope that if you are as open with your gymnasts as you say you are, that you are also open with them about the policy change. I think you will be surprised on the amount of preteen/teenage girls who will opt for shorts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back