Parents Help...Advice on moving..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all,

Just found out that DH's job might be taking us to Florida!!! Ok, sounds great I know but it is in a smaller area on the East Coast, Melbourne, and I am not so sure they take anything seriously besides cheerleading! It is beautiful there though. Emma has been with her coach since she was about three. We LOVE her coaches and I trust them so much! In addition to freaking out about moving Emma, I have a sophmore that is horrified about moving. AND.....if that is not enough I have a house that we just built and put our hearts and souls into and we have only been in less then 2 years!!!!! I feel horrible about complaining because it is a GREAT job offer! In these bad times I know that we are truely blessed and I am thankful. However, if anyone has any great insight......good gyms in that area, advice on a great 16 year old that is a good student and a super athlete that is very upset about having to move and start from scratch, I would REALLY appreciate it! I know life is not gymnastics but you all know these gymmies that live and breathe this sport! I do not want to take her somewhere and have her start to hate it. I told my husband to commute but he is not thrilled! :) Funny thing is, my husband just retired from the military two years ago and I thought we were done with moving for awhile! I'm tellin you, life is just never easy!

That sucks to have to possibly move. Especially when kids have grown roots and are really happy where they are.

Is there any chance of living outside of Orlando maybe and DH commuting? Probably more gyms in the Orlando area. Not sure if there are any cities between Orlando and Melbourne.

From my quick online research, Harbor City Gym seems like the only real competitive gym in Melbourne. Here is a meet from them recently, their Optionals. Couldn't find many more results.

Harbor City Hilton Head Island Invitational ConyersResults

The gym website.
Welcome to

Booster club website HCGBC

Hopefully someone will have some recommendations for you if you guys do end up moving.

Last edited:
That stinks (well sort of). I know it's a great opporutunity from what you've written, but still stinks to move. Your coaches might be of help. They all seem to know each other. I know that our HC and owner would probably be of great help if we had to relocate. The owner is a level 10 and college judge and seems to know gym schools all over the country (or at least which ones are note worthy). Try talking to them and see if they have any insight.

Been there

I've been having trouble getting this posted so I apoligize is this is a repeat.
I understand how you feel. It's tough leaving people you know and trust. We moved here to CA from TX 10 years ago. You probably know that TX is a great Gymnastics state. My older daughter went to a really nice, huge gym. She was only in it for fun and recreation and she soon tired of it. So we move to CA and my younger daughter decides she wants to tumble. This daughter eats, sleeps, and breathes gymnastics. Well, this is a small valley town with only two gyms. One bigger and one smaller. We tried the bigger one and didn't like it. The gym my DD has been at for years is a very small gym with only 3 coaches. But we love it . Everyone here is like a family and the girls are all like a bunch of sisters. I suppose I could drive the hour to Fresno to one of the bigger gyms but we would be giving up a great place.
You were right when you said that gymansitcs isn't everything. But when you have a child that loves it as much as our girls do you want to do everything you can to give it to them. I guess in the broad scope of things, a state of the art gym isn't everything. My daughter is happy where she is and as long as she is learning and advancing (she is level 8) we will stay put.
Some gyms will offer free trial classes. Another idea would be for you to visit the gym without your daughter to see what kind of vibe you get.
Your daughter sounds well grounded. I'm sure everything will be fine. When we moved here two of our four kids were teenagers and it was sad for them to leave friends. But they made new friends and kept all the old ones too. Our son just graduated from Fresno State University and moved back home to TX and is rooming with an old childhood buddy.
Sorry I rambled on so long but it just all spilled out. Hope I didn't confuse you more! Good luck! Let us all know how it works out. :)

Been there

I've been having trouble getting this posted so I apoligize is this is a repeat.
I understand how you feel. It's tough leaving people you know and trust. We moved here to CA from TX 10 years ago. You probably know that TX is a great Gymnastics state. My older daughter went to a really nice, huge gym. She was only in it for fun and recreation and she soon tired of it. So we move to CA and my younger daughter decides she wants to tumble. This daughter eats, sleeps, and breathes gymnastics. Well, this is a small valley town with only two gyms. One bigger and one smaller. We tried the bigger one and didn't like it. The gym my DD has been at for years is a very small gym with only 3 coaches. But we love it . Everyone here is like a family and the girls are all like a bunch of sisters. I suppose I could drive the hour to Fresno to one of the bigger gyms but we would be giving up a great place.
You were right when you said that gymansitcs isn't everything. But when you have a child that loves it as much as our girls do you want to do everything you can to give it to them. I guess in the broad scope of things, a state of the art gym isn't everything. My daughter is happy where she is and as long as she is learning and advancing (she is level 8) we will stay put.
Some gyms will offer free trial classes. Another idea would be for you to visit the gym without your daughter to see what kind of vibe you get.
Your daughter sounds well grounded. I'm sure everything will be fine. When we moved here two of our four kids were teenagers and it was sad for them to leave friends. But they made new friends and kept all the old ones too. Our son just graduated from Fresno State University and moved back home to TX and is rooming with an old childhood buddy.
Sorry I rambled on so long but it just all spilled out. Hope I didn't confuse you more! Good luck! Let us all know how it works out. :)

That sucks to have to possibly move. Especially when kids have grown roots and are really happy where they are.

Is there any chance of living outside of Orlando maybe and DH commuting? Probably more gyms in the Orlando area. Not sure if there are any cities between Orlando and Melbourne.

From my quick online research, Harbor City Gym seems like the only real competitive gym in Melbourne. Here is a meet from them recently, their Optionals. Couldn't find many more results.

Harbor City Hilton Head Island Invitational ConyersResults

The gym website.
Welcome to

Booster club website HCGBC

Hopefully someone will have some recommendations for you if you guys do end up moving.

Mariposamama,

Thank you so much for all the research! It was extremely helpful! I ended up calling a gym that is in Tampa. We compete against them at a St. Louis meet and they are AWESOME. Unfortunately, they are about 3 hours away. I am willing to drive....but not that far. They were not real high on most of the gyms in that area. It is a beautiful area, but what makes it so beautiful is that it is not over comericialized and unfortunately when you want a competetive gym....that is not so good. They did mention the same gym that you found and one other that was still an hour and half away. I called the other gym and she said there is a new gym that has great coaches and does not have alot of recognition yet, but the gym is state of the art and the coaches are awesome. She said that they have had several girls do well individually and that the training seems spot on. So, with that I have two gyms to check out. I am a little less freaked out. I called the later gym and spoke with a very nice coach that seemed very knowledgeable. Bottom line, we have been very spoiled. Our gym is less then 10 minutes from our home. The owner/coach is highly recognized and GREAT. Our beam and floor coach is wonderful and a great friend. It will be hard no matter where we end up. I just keep telling myself...WARM WEATHER ALL YEAR!!!!! BEACHES!!!! Life is good! Anyhow, thank you again for all the helpful information!!! It is very much appreciated!

Shari

That stinks (well sort of). I know it's a great opporutunity from what you've written, but still stinks to move. Your coaches might be of help. They all seem to know each other. I know that our HC and owner would probably be of great help if we had to relocate. The owner is a level 10 and college judge and seems to know gym schools all over the country (or at least which ones are note worthy). Try talking to them and see if they have any insight.

D, I am so sick about moving! But, things are what they are and I am thankful at this point that DH has been given such a great opportunity. I am trying not to talk to much about moving at the gym. They are all aware that it is a possibility but it is just to hard and we would all rather not think about it. The girls are all so close. We are one of the lucky gyms where everyone REALLY gets along. They are all the best of friends and the parents are as well. Plus, I love her coaches and it is just to painful to talk about it until we are 100% sure this is going to happen. Once we get it all ironed out, our owner/coach will be of great help. I even expect that he will call on our behalf. Anyhow, as I know more I will let you know by email! Thanks again for all the camera help!

Shari

ValleyGymMom,
Thanks for the great advice. Moving stinks doesn't it! That is great news about your son. I shared it with my son and unfortunately at this point he is not open to hearing ANYTHING positive about moving! Baseball season is upon us and he is loving life so it is hard to talk to him about giving it all up. At least with his current school. Although he tells me that he will not try out if we move. He is very talented and I know that his coach will lay the groundwork for him at his new school if we do end up taking this postition. Regarding Emma and gymnastics. Like I said in mariposamama's reply, I did call some gyms. The one that sounds like a dream fit is the new, less known, smaller teams, gym. They seem to have the same philosophy that we are used to. Same number of training hours and...this is silly...I looked at pictures of their girls and I loved all their straight legs and toe points!ha We will visit both of the gyms and then make our decision. I have not spoken to the other gym but they look good as well. Anyhow, with all that siad, thank you for all your insight. I will let you all know when I know anything for sure. At this point, I think our biggest burden will be selling our home! It is hard to say goodbye to it. The style of building in Florida is completley different then here. Say goodbye to my beautiful brick and stone house....hello stucco. But they are beautiful and the pools are amazing. Thanks again!

Wow! Moving seems to have become an epidemic here on CB! Sorry if I 'infected' you all, lol!

We just moved away from FL, to TX. We were about 2 hours from where you are moving to. It's more mellow up there in Melbourne than where we were in South FL! Hope you like it there. We actually sat on Melbourne beach and watched the shuttle take off, just a few months ago. It was a really nice, quiet beach.

But I digress. I feel your pain about moving! We've had two major moves in the past year! (CA to FL in '08, and FL to TX in '09).

DD LOVED her gym in FL, but it is unfortunately too far for you. But we did compete against some teams from the area you are moving to. Tumbleweeds is also a good team, and is in your town.

Here is a link to the two major meet-organizing websites in FL. You can click on the meets and see their results, and maybe that will help you locate gyms near you with decent scores.

Meetminders Gymnastic Competitions

USA Competitions

My older (non-gymmie) dd is 16 and has done very well thru the two moves. We just keep stressing how it's important to stick together as a family, and how blessed we are to still BE together. We have also grown MUCH closer as a family in the past year, since we knew very few people (being new to the areas) so a lot of our entertainment and socializing was just the four of us together. That has been an unexpected plus that we have enjoyed. Before our moves, back in CA prior to all of it, we were all quite busy and off with our own friends & activities.

I wish you all the best! Keep us posted on how it's all going! :)

Hey all you gym-moms! How about a Chalk Bucket road trip to Melbourne this summer? I hope you bought a really big house!!! (Just kidding!)

msl529,

Thanks for the advice. Tumbleweeds is actually the name of the gym I was talking about with mariposamama. That makes me feel even better! They said it was a smaller gym, new, but great coaches! I am hoping that my DS will one day appreciate that us staying together as a family is what is most important. I am glad that everything has worked out well for you all. How is your DD doing in her new gym? I am so worried because this is all Emma has ever known. She is a great kid. I am sure she will make friends fast. Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:
Hey all you gym-moms! How about a Chalk Bucket road trip to Melbourne this summer? I hope you bought a really big house!!! (Just kidding!)

That is funny! I have been hearing the same thing from all my friends here in Illinois!!! I know I will have lots of visitors!!

Hey there. We moved to fl last year. Florida gymnastics is very competitive..very close to texas. Good gyms is treasure coast gymnastics and treasure coast ymca. I think they are close to melbourne. All gyms that have teams are somewhat competitive. We are in west palm and love it...Good luck

Good Luck on your move and finding a new gym I live in Tpa area and do not no much about the Melbourne area there are several good gyms in Orlando area if you wanted to drive an 1hr each way.Being a teenager and moving is got to be rough Iam sure your ds will adjust and luv hanging at the beaches.

Good Luck on your move and finding a new gym I live in Tpa area and do not no much about the Melbourne area there are several good gyms in Orlando area if you wanted to drive an 1hr each way.Being a teenager and moving is got to be rough Iam sure your ds will adjust and luv hanging at the beaches.

Thanks! I called a gym from your area. We have seen a team called Tampa Bay Turners that comes up to St. Louis for the Gymquarters meet. They are very good. I called them and they were very nice about referring a few gyms in the area. They referred a gym called "ACE", but they are almost two hours away. That is what they guessed anyway when I called them. Several people have suggested "Tumbleweeds". I called them as well and they were very nice. Another gym that was suggested was Treasure Cove, but I think they are also to far away. I do not mind driving some...but with 4 kids I can't swing driving an hour or more each way. I think 30 minutes would be my max. I keep telling my son how great it is to grow up in Florida. I am from the panhandle...Panama City Beach. He is a good kid, he will be fine even if he thinks his world is coming to an end. However, we are still waiting on hearing the final details. If it is not as good as it was presented, we will stay here.....in cold Illinois!WAH! Thanks again for the help!!

Hey there. We moved to fl last year. Florida gymnastics is very competitive..very close to texas. Good gyms is treasure coast gymnastics and treasure coast ymca. I think they are close to melbourne. All gyms that have teams are somewhat competitive. We are in west palm and love it...Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I did check out Treasure Coast...I called it Treasure Cove in another post... but they are a bit to far. Palm Bay is close to Melbourne, Palm City looks to be at least an hour..maybe more. We will check them all out though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wow I just came across this post and it is my story almost exact! My husband who is a retired Marine got a job offer in Florida that was too good to pass up. We moved out of our newly built home a few months ago. I have 2 girls that compete so we had to find a new gym. Lucky we found a great one and the girls are doing really well. I just had to comment because our stories are so similar. So how did everything turn out for you all?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back