Parents Adjusting Bars for little ones . . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
I think I'm going to talk to the gym tonight about adjusting one of the set of bars closer so DD can pratice on the high bar.

She can do her squat on, jump to High bar, kip and dismount but hasn't been able to practice it in a month because both set of bars are set to far apart for her (she's only 7).

So here's my question . . .

is it an unreasonable request?

Do they adjust bars at meets for smaller / younger girls? (she has never competed against anyone under 10 before . . . I've never noticed anyone adjusting the bars)

thanks!

I know in Canada you always see coaches at meets adjusting the widths of the bars and smetimes, with prior approval, the height of bars for the very tall girls. We actually had a meet held up as one judge said a coach couldn't put the bars really close together, all the books came out before they could decide.

I know some coaches just make all their girls use the same settings regardless of their size. It is worth asking about it.

Last edited:
They had her practicing on them far apart but one of the coaches said it was dangerous . . . she said just because she "can" do it - it doesn't mean she "should". While that coach was out one day they had her on the regular bars and she took a bad spill that had the wind knocked out of her, triggered an asthma attack and migraine. Thankfully that was all and she recovered really fast. TSince then they had her working on a set adjusted closer. A month or so ago they moved that set apart again, not sure why, and now she hasn't practiced since and is disappointed.

I think she should be able to have them closer. My dd is confident at 1.5 and can is OK with 1.6. However sometimes she is expected to make 1.8 in practice (if her group includes bigger girls) and she hates that as she had a nasty fall once at 1.8. She can do it and has done it before at 1.8 but officially she doesn't need FIG 1.8 yet as she is 8. I would rather she wait until her confidence sends her to 1.8 or she needs it for comp. I know it is difficult for the coach if her group is all much bigger as in your case - although that doesn't make it fair for your dd and they should still make an effort for her.

our coaches have all the smaller girls compete first then the taller ones. The coaches set the bars for the "littles" then change them back for the "tallers" before those girls compete

My dd is a little 7 yo competing L5 this year and they do the same thing as gymgramma mentioned. The younger and smaller girls warmup first at the closer bar setting, then they change it for the taller girls to warm up. Then the taller girls compete and they change the bars back for the little girls.

During practice, they have one bars set closer and a second set farther. The smaller girls practice on the one set and the bigger girls on the other. We have L5s ranging from 7 to 12 in age, though I must say that one of our littlest 8 year olds has absolutely no problem jumping to high bar even on the wide setting. She is just amazing on bars, though (scores 9.5 or better every meet).

Anyway, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to change the bar setting at practice, at least until she gets more comfortable jumping. I have noticed that my dd can jump with the bars farther apart now than when she first learned the squat on jump to hb. I think they get better at it the more they practice.

Meg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes; coaches can move the bars at meets, and usually do. Different coaches have different philosophies, however, on whether everyone should have their own setting or should get used to using the same setting as everyone else. At both the gyms my dd has been at, they keep one set wider and one set for the smaller ones.

Different coaches have different philosophies, however, on whether everyone should have their own setting or should get used to using the same setting as everyone else. .

You have touched on a very sore subject with me! My DD started training L5 before she turned 7. She started competing L5 and now in her SECOND season as a small 8 yr old, she is still fighting the bar demons. Different coaches do different things. In the gym, we have the "red bars" that are set closer. Then we have the dreaded silver bars. Even on the closest red setting, she has a problem but I think right now it is fear more than anything. Some of the coaches were "forcing" her to jump to the silver bars, which she always fell. When we got to a meet, sometimes they would pull them in, and other times not....depending on the coach. But now that fear has set in, even when they are close, she is not used to being able to jump & catch the bar, so half the time she doesn't. At the last meet, she told me that the bars were not set for her and "that other little girl from the other team (in her squad) got to use the small bars" :mad:

So...sorry I"m rambling but I've been trying to teach my DD to anticipate all the different scenarios as she experiences them. If the coach forgets to pull the bars, or give her the springboard or block (yes, THIS has happened too), or pull the mats, or whatever other apparatus she needs adjusted, she needs to open her mouth and ask.

In your situation, I would talk to the coach and get a feel for what their philosophy is and go from there.

so frustrated

I spoke to the directors last night and they said the second set are always set close . . . I said well, no, someone must have moved them and not moved them back because she hasn't been able to practice in a month. So they went in and said - no they're close . . yadda yadda . . then came back out and said when it's her turn she should ask them to move them closer . . so were they already close or not? I ask her agfter practice did she get to practice and she said no, they told her to squat up and then just jump down . . . sigh

What I want to know is - why couldn't they just adjust the bar right then and there - especially if "they're always set closer" ?

Thanks for all your feedback - at least I know I'm not being unreasonable.

They certainly can adjust them on the spot, it takes one person just a few seconds.

I would go back in to the bar coaches and tell them what the directors have said, also tell them that your little one does not like to speak up in front of everyone and could they remember to move the bars.

At least you now know that they are "supposed" to have them ready for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back